Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorsify View Post
    Seeing as how Piotr was brought back from the dead, most fans of the character I think would disagree with you. Also, Kiotr is life.

But the other poster just seems to have a hard on for hating whedon’s run. It isn’t whedon’s fault that people that wrote marvel after him took and regarded his work highly, it isn’t his fault marvel mucked with Xorn and what Morrison did after he was done/etc. none of that should be blamed on Whedon or what he wrote.

But seeing as how deadpool 2 was super popular and the last X-men movie totally bombed, I’m inclined to think that they will begin with Deadpool (and his associates, with any luck, So Colossus/NTW/Yukio/Domino) and then they’ll go from there.

Like others have said I think it would actually make sense and be easy to say they’re another wakanda type situation, possibly with a mention that after the snap they all retreated to Krakoa and they’ve been hiding out there since. It keeps the canon of Deadpool knowing of the institute without wondering why the avengers had super powered teams living upstate they never called on for help.

I think they will keep the general characterization of those early-2000’s characters minus the plots as they existed; the cure doesn’t really have a place outside of mutant-centric stories and break world doesn’t work without the context that surrounded it (mutant experimentation, the cure being developed partly to deal with the mutant threat to break world, SWORD being more than just captain marvel, etc). The tension of hank maybe maybe-not wanting it, the references to genosha, danger.. none of that stuff works without proper set up.
    I agree, and obviously the MCU will not use the great Astonishing series just the like the book. But I can see later films using the concept. It would be completely different, like the Avengers or Guardians, who also had stories doing their own thing, and in my opinion, they were great. But Feige and the MCU can mine some ideas from Astonishing, then make it an MCU addition with a few easter eggs thrown in for comic fans.

I really enjoyed Infinity War and Endgame, but even as an adult, I still remember being blown away by The Infinity Gauntlet when I was a kid. I keep my love for the MCU and my life long hobby of comic books seperate. When I watch an MCU movie, I know they are not going to directly follow the comics. But eventually using some of the concepts from Astonishing might be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Because it was visually boring and intellectually shallow?
    Because it was designed as a follow up to another run itself and heavily referencing another past run, while missing the points made in both?
    Because the monochromatic cast is at odds with what current moviegoers want?
    Because its not 2012 anymore and even hardcore MCU drones have grown tired of Whedon quips, to an extent?
    Because the plotlines were terrible and the antagonists unreadable?
    I found astonishing x-men quite intellectual. the storyline of the cure, The Hellfire club returning with Cassandra Nova, the origins of Danger where some of the best highlights. Its a Whedon story it was a good story for adults and teens. Whedon really nailed the school concept very well. Astonishing xmen would have been a good fit for the MCU around their phase 1 stage and when Disney did not own Marvel yet.

I like xmen a lot when they focused on student-teacher relationships, what we should fear is for Disney using that has an opportunity to run away with a kid-friendly concept because of mutant High school.

Its going to be hard for Disney to take a lot from the astonishing xmen series since it dealt with a lot of kids going through hard times, also more adult drama with Cyclops, Emma, Wolverine, Colossus still broody from returning from the dead, Beast and the cure and also isn't this the book Kitty looses her virginity?

The two best storyline of astonishing, was the Wing-Danger storyline and The Return of the hellfire Club. Disney would never put those stories in films without diluting it to a big fault of potential comedy or light heartedness that would be to unbelievable for X-men movie.

BANNED

The cure and sentient machine wants to kill Xavier storyline were ripoffs of older storylines. The Helffire Club thing completely missed the fact Cassandra was confirmed to be Ernst. All around unimpressive but its just my opinion.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I hope it doesn't. I think it was entertaining for Cyclops and Kitty but everything else wasn't that great.

BANNED

I’m kinda thinking/hoping HoX will be the basis. This whole new aesthetic it brings with it very much aligns with the kind of fantastical world building that’s contributed to the success of BP, Dr. Strange, Ragnarok, and GotG. Plus, it’s a clean break from the kind of stories Fox was telling.

And Hickman did mention part of the draw was the promise of vertical alignment (or however he phrased it).

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Riveting. Explain?

I gave good reasons as to why I think Astonishing X-Men will be a major inspiration to the MCU and you just say... that.
    The entirety of this thread reeks of I enjoyed this run so it would make a good starting point. The only problems are the foundations of AXM were built, during NXM but more importantly several of the plots covered in AXM were addressed in older runs and in far more detail. AXM worked in my opinion so well because of everything that occurred previously, without that you lose most of the foundational characters that helped build the X-men into what they are. So much would have to be explained or need to be explained unlike so many other series that would make much better starting points for the X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    I’m kinda thinking/hoping HoX will be the basis. This whole new aesthetic it brings with it very much aligns with the kind of fantastical world building that’s contributed to the success of BP, Dr. Strange, Ragnarok, and GotG. Plus, it’s a clean break from the kind of stories Fox was telling.

And Hickman did mention part of the draw was the promise of vertical alignment (or however he phrased it).
    That is another no. hOX only ever works with conitunuity. Or they will be inhumans wanna bes

BANNED

Doesn’t exactly take much continuity to say “mutants live on an island”.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    of course it needs. Mutants idn't got there from nowhere

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    of course it needs. Mutants idn't got there from nowhere
    That’s what flashbacks are for. You saw Ant-Man, right?

BANNED

Was Jean in Ant Man?

BANNED

Stahp with that nonsense! It’s not like they managed to roll out Wakanda as having always been there in secret or the Ancient One, her sorcerers, and, you know, the existence of magic.

Oh wait...

Thankfully, NO! The MCU has set the bar at a good level for properly placing poc on screen unabashedly. So there won't be any waspy type team of Xmen

BANNED

Nope. While HoX/PoX only needs you to understand the overall concepts of the X-Men (what are mutants, the prejudice against them, the history of mankind trying to kill them, the whole Xavier vs Magneto debate), AXM requires some strong foundation to work. It's a book about the X-Men picking up the pieces and trying to rise above the consequences of Xorn's actions. I'm not even talking about the roster per se, which is fine, but the core of what made the run work. I love it, but I can't see it being adapted to a movie right now.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I hope it doesn't. I think it was entertaining for Cyclops and Kitty but everything else wasn't that great.
    And Emma Frost of course. this book even made her a worthy xman than new xmen.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    The cure and sentient machine wants to kill Xavier storyline were ripoffs of older storylines. The Helffire Club thing completely missed the fact Cassandra was confirmed to be Ernst. All around unimpressive but its just my opinion.
    X-men has repeated storylines. Astonishing was one of the best repeats.