Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    It's not the Avengers' job to go out and proactively help the mutants since that's what the X-Men are for but if mutants ask the Avengers for help, they'll help.

Also the relationship between the Avengers and the X-Men only had one problem before AvX: Magneto. The X-Men kept shielding Magneto from the law even Magneto is a threat on par with Doctor Doom. That led to led to at least three skirmishes between them but they still worked together outside of that.
    They don’t have to proactively help, but they haven’t helped out afterwards either. As others have pointed out Emma’s conversations with Tony and Carol. There’s enough there that I think would make it hard for the Avengers and X-men to be friends.

At it’s simplest, a good working relationship.

At its worst, disagreeing about how to get things done but respecting one another enough to talk it out first.

I do think as the “marquee” superhero team (avengers) and the xmen with their backs against the wall constantly, it would be cool if some avengers books acknowledged the unfair stuff that mutants have to go through. Like maybe when they have an opportunity on a world stage, to call for an end to mutant agression.

Sure it wouldn’t actually end it but it would be nice to see the alliance.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Astonishing Member

I'm done with the hero's vs hero's nonsense, so I'm good with better relations.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    I'm done with the hero's vs hero's nonsense, so I'm good with better relations.
    it was interesting when it first happened, but much like everything Marvel ran it into the ground by doing it over and over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post

I actually don't mind the Avengers not having any role or acknowledgement in big X-moments, same way X-Men don't come swooping in every time some Avengers threat shows up. It's obviously a narrative limitation that is better left unaddressed.
    The X-men don't come swooping in because it is not their mission statement. The X-men are aren't global defenders or even US defenders. The X-men choose to be that sometimes but something like Civil War or Dr Doom attacking Wakanda. It ain't the X-men job to jump where on the hand that is the Avenger Job to do. A global event with Magneto or Apocalypse yes it is Avengers thing. While something like Secret Empire if Hydra had left New Tian alone or mutants in general the X-men might not actually take part.

It is one of flaws of X-men and why something like X-Treme Sanctions Executive was good because X-men have a habit of picking mutantkind first. But Marvel likes the hated and fear angle more than superhero angle and it is kinda to be hard be as hated and feared as UN sanctioned superhero team. Avengers and X-men aren't respected equals X-men is basically a private militia, Avengers is UN or US sanctioned most of the time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Avengers and X-Men are and should be allies. As Digifiend keeps reminding everyone, until yesterday Rogue, Cable, Deadpool, Havok were all on the Unit Squad. They haven't been at odds since quite a while. But of course that a couple of Scott fans just LOVE to be as petty as possible and pretend the only relevant matter to this situation is AvX shit.
    Just as a couple of Jean fans keep talking and talking about Scott and Emma in the Morrison era, or Scott leaving Maddie 30 years ago.
    Maybe Jean and Emma might be on the same team, as best friends, with Emma leading Jean.
    What do you think, huh?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    It's not the Avengers' job to go out and proactively help the mutants since that's what the X-Men are for but if mutants ask the Avengers for help, they'll help.

Also the relationship between the Avengers and the X-Men only had one problem before AvX: Magneto. The X-Men kept shielding Magneto from the law even Magneto is a threat on par with Doctor Doom. That led to led to at least three skirmishes between them but they still worked together outside of that.
    The Avengers worked with various dangerous criminals and genocidal characters, but the X-Men have never knocked at their door.

BANNED

The Avengers and X-Men can be allies. But only help with BIG Events other than that......stay away.

This is a very relevant question. The X-men and Avengers haven't really gotten along since the days of Civil War. Their battle in AvX and the complete apathy the Avengers showed during the M-pox era has established a pretty major divide. Some of that, in my opinion, had less to do with the story and more to do with Marvel trying to marginalize the X-men due to the movie rights. The upcoming Disney/Fox merger promises to change that. We're already seeing signs that they can get along when they need to. The end of X-men Red #9 is proof of that. But there's no formal partnership between them. There hasn't even been a case where the two teams have acknowledged their mistakes and agreed to move on. At the very least, I hope we get a moment where the two teams air out their grievances and move forward. I think we've had enough superhero civil wars in recent years.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

They should be friendly and be ready to assist each other when asked. But I think the history with certain Avengers, specifically Steve and Tony, makes the group as a whole untouchable for many readers and I would assume some characters. AvX aside, there are several moments when the Avengers had an opportunity to speak out against crimes against mutants or assist in the clean up effort on some of the more gruesome attacks against mutants and the X-Men. Instead they have been often portrayed as only reaching out when they need something from the X-Men. I don't disagree that for many years the two seldom met as they looked after their "own affairs", minus the addition of mutants to the Avengers roster. But for all the times that mutants have been their teammates and friends, the lack of involvement or even care has been glaring for me. Take that Astonishing panel earlier, where clearly neither Tony or Steve have ANY right to condemn Havok (especially Tony) for being inverted, but they do. The lack of care or empathy for mutants during the Terrgien Mist crisis, and even IvX, was heard loudly. I'm not anti-Avengers, nor do I think the X-Men are guiltless, I just think the Avengers do a lot of talking about mutant rights and support but often don't show or prove their support. This issue was a step in the right direction. Now, will it appear in other books (both X and A line)? That's the question.

Hero vs hero nonsense gave us AvX and IvX. Time for something new. I don't want the avengers to be regulars in X-books about I want them to at least have a working relationship with the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Hm, it may not "be their job" but they should help when they can. Just like how the X-Men are focused on mutants but they also help and save humans.
    But helping and saving humans furthers the X-Men's narrative and helps cement the "We save lives to help mend the broken bond between mutants and humans so we can live harmoniously together" theme. The Avengers, as pointed out, are a response team and don't follow that narrative. Of course, the Avengers, as good human being and heroes, should help mutants when they can- and they have. It just feels like some people are acting as if the Avengers wouldn't step in and help a mutant that was being attacked, for example. Captain America wouldn't turn a blind eye and say, "that's a problem for the X-Men."

I'm not saying the Avengers couldn't have done more, but based on the narratives that those two teams follow and just simply not being able to include everything in a story I am fine with the teams working together well and appreciating one another for the work they do. At the end of the day, both teams have saved the world countless times. I would love an Avengers/ X-Men story to officially bury the hatchet, but even stories like Uncanny Avengers get derailed. It seems like that is something editorial is simply not interested in?
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 11-08-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

An amicable, professional and mutually respectful working relationship. They should be able to call on each other as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by CuteClops View Post
    The Avengers worked with various dangerous criminals and genocidal characters, but the X-Men have never knocked at their door.
    Except they did- in Children's Crusade. The X-Men teleported in an demanded they hand Wanda over to them.
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 11-08-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    Except they did in Children's Crusade. The X-Men teleported in an demanded they hand Wanda over to them.
    Mutant issue

The only way the X-men care if it is a mutant bad guy. So if the Avengers was to allow Mr sinister to be a member the X-men would show up to smack around sinister. The Avenger could put a line up out of Dr Doom, Kang, Kingpin, Osborn, Ultron and Iron Man they wouldn't care.