Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Default What Is Your Favorite Doc Ock Story?

Otto is my favorite Spidey villain and one of my favorite villains in comics. My favorite story of his is Superior Spider-Man because it shows a different side of him that had not been done before. He gets to show off his intellect, be a hero and what would happen if he were Spider-Man permanently. I really dug how he improved the suit tech and used his genius to make a multi-billion dollar company. Not only is Superior Spider-Man my favorite Doc Ock story, but it's my favorite Spider-Man story.

“Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

No doubt, Revenge of the Sinister Six:

Doc Ock seemed really on point throughout that storyline. He unites all of Spider-Man's villains and for most of the storyline kicks the crap out of Spider-Man and any other hero that gets in his way. He looked pretty cool with his white dress suit and adamantium arms!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Amazing Member

Definitely The Owl/Octopus War from Spectacular Spider-Man vol. 1 #75-79.

Spectacular 75.jpg

Easily Doc Ock at his scariest, most ruthless and most unhinged.

BANNED

- The Owl/Octopus War
    - ASM #296-97

There are also great stories that Ock has been a part of (The Master Planner Saga, The Death of George Stacy) that don't really revolve around him.

I'd also add in Spider-Man PS4, which to me is the best Ock adaptation in any medium so far.

Spectacular Member

The Owl/Octopus gang war is mine. Such a classic story. There are a lot of great stories with Otto, though. He's one of the heavy hitters for a reason, with numerous great stories under his belt. Below are some others that stick out to me.

Countdown by Paul Jenkins and Humberto Ramos.

Spider-Man/Doctor Octopus: Negative Exposure.

Return of the Sinister Six by Michelinie and Larson.

Additionally, I really dig a lot of the Stan Lee stories with him. You could tell Lee had an affinity for him, at least from my perspective. I'll also second the above statement about the PS4 game being a great adaptation, with a more compelling version of the Spider-Man 2 Otto. I also love the version from Spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan of Mystery View Post

Spectacular 75.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    - The Owl/Octopus War
    - ASM #296-97

There are also great stories that Ock has been a part of (The Master Planner Saga, The Death of George Stacy) that don't really revolve around him.

I'd also add in Spider-Man PS4, which to me is the best Ock adaptation in any medium so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Parker View Post
    The Owl/Octopus gang war is mine. Such a classic story. There are a lot of great stories with Otto, though. He's one of the heavy hitters for a reason, with numerous great stories under his belt. Below are some others that stick out to me.

Countdown by Paul Jenkins and Humberto Ramos.

Spider-Man/Doctor Octopus: Negative Exposure.

Return of the Sinister Six by Michelinie and Larson.

Additionally, I really dig a lot of the Stan Lee stories with him. You could tell Lee had an affinity for him, at least from my perspective. I'll also second the above statement about the PS4 game being a great adaptation, with a more compelling version of the Spider-Man 2 Otto. I also love the version from Spectacular.
    All great choices. The Owl/Octopus War is amazing.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    All great choices. The Owl/Octopus War is amazing.
    The Owl/Octopus War has so many great moments.
    -- Spider-Man ripping out Ock's arms.
    -- Ock then performing surgery to reinsert them and telling his mooks to do it without anaesthesia so he can feel the pain that he will inflict on Spider-Man and Felicia.
    -- The final battle between Spider-Man and Otto that starts in a hospital and spreads across Manhattan. Still one of the greatest fights in Spider-Man.

BANNED

Spider-Man - Doctor Octopus: Year One

Astonishing Member

Doctor Octopus is Dead from Avenging Spider-Man #15.1 by Christopher Yost. Nobody topped Yost's writing of the character.

If This Be My Destiny. The Amazing Spider-Man #31-33.

I also want to mention Doctor Octopus from The Spectacular Spider-Man animated series. I miss that show.

Honnestly the ongoing story from the current TV show on Disney XD : Marvel Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Doctor Octopus is Dead from Avenging Spider-Man #15.1 by Christopher Yost. Nobody topped Yost's writing of the character.

I also want to mention Doctor Octopus from The Spectacular Spider-Man animated series. I miss that show.
    If
    If this be my destiny, is not just my favorite Doc Ock story, but my favorite comic book story. It has everything you could want from a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Parker View Post
    I also love the version from Spectacular.
    My all-time favorite would be the animated one from Spectacular, as well:

Last edited by K7P5V; 05-07-2020 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Spider-Man - Doctor Octopus: Year One

Love that story. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is, but Wells really delivered.

That's an awesome issue! I love how the whole Superior Spider-Man story and this issue is right there at the beginning, displaying Otto's thoughts and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Honnestly the ongoing story from the current TV show on Disney XD : Marvel Spider-Man.
    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    My all-time favorite would be the animated one from Spectacular, as well:

Completely agree!

For me its the Master Planner Saga, taking Ock from a troubled scientist into a Bond-esque villain who is capable of organizing!

SSM was a little derivative of Dr. Doom. It had its moments, but it just a distant second to me.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan of Mystery View Post

Spectacular 75.jpg

great issue. didn't realize the story continued beyond that one issue. marvel needs to compile that.