Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I love how ridiculously overboard Todd Nauck went with this, in true 90s style. He did get his start at Rob Liefeld's Extreme Studios, after all.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought it fit because of Illyana's aggressive, non-plussed, and in-your-face attitude and came off very goth punk, which I think suits her. I don't think she'd care about it being revealing.
    same, I mean X of Swords she kept asking opponents if they wanna **** or Fight can't get more punk than that.

I like that new take on Aurora's classic yellow/white costume.
    THey should make it official.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I love how ridiculously overboard Todd Nauck went with this, in true 90s style. He did get his start at Rob Liefeld's Extreme Studios, after all.
    A 90's tribute explains so much .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A 90's tribute explains so much .
    But it does make you want to pick them up. They are so vibrant and coming at you. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I like that new take on Aurora's classic yellow/white costume.
    THey should make it official.
    Gloves and thigh-highs, yes. Headsock, no.

Ah, I see it's Ugly Costume Day... and the only one well-dressed is Lockheed. The Lady Panderin' 'armour' look is especially egregious.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Ah, I see it's Ugly Costume Day... and the only one well-dressed is Lockheed. The Lady Panderin' 'armour' look is especially egregious.
    Agreed. This is such a waste of a commission/cover. I'd rather have this exact cover normal looking. If you want 90s X-Men then give 90s X-Men or put these guys in noticeable 90s attire.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

On a positive note... I usually don't like Nauck's art but it's OK here. Different inker?
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    If I had to choose one, I'd say Bishop's look (his original 90s costume plus 90s Cable accouterments) perfectly meets the 90s x-treme brief.
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Amazing Member

I love everything about that variant cover except for Tempo's armor and Betsy's Lady Mandarin armor on Kwannon. No one but Jim Lee could make that armor look good.

I do wish some of these looks could stay...

I like the extra long ponytail on Kwannon just make it a much darker shade of purple or use her natural black hair.

Keep Daken's look except move the X marking to the waistband instead of his shoulder and remove the gold armor piece around his neck.

Keep Aurora's classic yellow and white just remove the head cowl or keep her with longer hair so that it hides the sides of that thing.

The only thing I would keep of Sommnus' look is the black and gold shoulder things and give him a longer star field cloak. Ditch the rest of the Shatter star knockoff gear and jacket.

I like the art style. Hate the costumes except for Aurora. Kitty looks more 80's than 90s tbh.

Astonishing Member

Ew new boring Illyana costume.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I absolutely LOVE Aurora's 90's take on her best John Byrne AF costume. LOVE!!!
    And what I wouldn't give to have that Lady Mandarin costume back in some form for Psylocke.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    I love everything about that variant cover except for Tempo's armor and Betsy's Lady Mandarin armor on Kwannon. No one but Jim Lee could make that armor look good..
    Tempo's Apocalypse tubes and armour do not work.
    Psylocke's bikini and Lady Mandarin looks are both great designs imho... just not combined like this.

Astonishing Member

Hmm.

Kitty's outfit actualy looks pretty good.

Bishop is just wearing his 90's outfits, which sort of falls under the "grandfather clause" and could still work today, similar to the various outfits Cable gets.

Psylocke just has her classic costume from the 90's, which she is still wearing today, but with pieces of the Lady Mandarin outfit (the least protective looking ones) from Psylocke's early body switch story added to it. Making the whole thing pretty meh in terms of what the covers is meant to invoke. If he wanted "Extreme!" he should have gone with Kwanon's first outfit.

Looking up her costumes on uncannyxmen, Aurora's outfit seems to be a mixture of her classic outfit and one she briefly used in the 80's to seperate herself visualy from Northstar (Alpha Flight #18-20), so ironicaly it's actualy more classic than "Extreme!".

Somnus is basicly just cosplaying Shatterstar and the fact that he is drawn with visible feet allready disqualify him from being "Extreme!" 90's.

Tempo's outfit is just weird. She is allready a character from the Liefeldian era and her modern day outfit is actualy just a slight variation of the one she wore during the times of Liefeld's X-force and their confrontation with Stryfe and the MLF. So in a sense it shouldn't even require any kind of modification. So it seems the artist wanted to make a 90's character MORE 90's by fusing her with Apocalypse, which just doesn't work IMO.

Finaly there is Daken. Sorry but those over the arm tribal tattoos clearly mark him as a character designed to appear cool in the mid to late 00's, when Millar style bad guys became all the rage. Which pulls him out of fitting into the 90's "Extreme!" category.

Also for some reason his outfit makes me think of Magog from DC's Kingdom come rather than any Marvel character of the 90's (i'm aware that Magog in turn was just a parody of Cable).