Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast
    BANNED

It depends on whether a judge finds any legal standing sufficient to enjoin the shareholder vote.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 07-16-2018 at 03:55 PM.

Comcast finally drops the towel for their bidding for 21st Century Fox against Disney

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/19/med...ney/index.html
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonKent17 View Post
    Comcast finally drops the towel for their bidding for 21st Century Fox against Disney

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/19/med...ney/index.html

Comcast just couldn't get investment banks to go further. Its clear they spent weeks trying to convince them , they can make a return on this. But unlike Disney which has nearly paid off its Star Wars purchase through film and home video sales (this doesn't take into account merchandise like toys , games etc) , they just don't have the avenues Disney has to make money as quick as Disney will.

This year Comcast has struggled , they have watched their stock tumble and they now have lost out twice on buying companies. They wanted Lionsgate and was told NOPE. Now they are likely in a position where ....where do they go next ?
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Comcast just couldn't get investment banks to go further. Its clear they spent weeks trying to convince them , they can make a return on this. But unlike Disney which has nearly paid off its Star Wars purchase through film and home video sales (this doesn't take into account merchandise like toys , games etc) , they just don't have the avenues Disney has to make money as quick as Disney will.

This year Comcast has struggled , they have watched their stock tumble and they now have lost out twice on buying companies. They wanted Lionsgate and was told NOPE. Now they are likely in a position where ....where do they go next ?
    It’s going to be a lot easier for Disney to integrate Star Wars and Marvel in their main lines than it is for them to put in many Fox properties

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It’s going to be a lot easier for Disney to integrate Star Wars and Marvel in their main lines than it is for them to put in many Fox properties
    Well as I ran down pages ago they are getting an injection of properties like Avator , Planet of the Apes , Aliens , Predator and Die Hard. There is a couple others they can look at possibly. But they are gonna have an infusion of properties to examine at what they can do ahead.

Die Hard seems ripe for Disney to come in and reboot with a new young male actor to play John McClane who is just having a bad day that gets worse.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

BANNED

Didn't somebody not just basically remake Die Hard with The Rock?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Didn't somebody not just basically remake Die Hard with The Rock?
    They did in a way , its like a futuristic Die Hard and the guy has an artificial leg due to losing it years earlier as a soldier.

They did in a way , its like a futuristic Die Hard and the guy has an artificial leg due to losing it years earlier as a soldier.
    With a little Towering Inferno added to it.

With Comcast failing to get Disney , they honestly should look at Paramount Pictures as a good target to acquire. In fact by going after Paramount they will get a company that is in a worse spot than 21st Century Fox right now. Even though the company has turned a small profit ($9 million revenue profit in one quarter) the film division from Viacom has been a black hole for a number of years losing money.

Viacom's key business is its cable networks and the profits they get from it. The film division is like a sinkhole , even though Viacom promised that 2019 would be a return to bigger profits from them. But that remains to be seen.

Also looking back Universal and Paramount have had some weird dealings the last 60 years at times from Universal buying a lot of the pre 1948 films from Paramount at one time in the 1950's to a deal where they'd distribute films together in 1970's at one point. So its not like Comcast approaching Viacom with a big offer to buy the film studio and properties isn't a bad move here.

Plus , Comcast needs a streaming service and they'd get a hell of a shot in the arm with Tubi. Which is now carried on all the game systems and can stream (plus has 20+ million downloads already) . Its a partnership with Lionsgate , MGM and Paramount. By owning the Paramount division , Comcast can buy into a cheaper streaming service than Hulu. Plus it has the 2nd biggest library compared to Netflix. They can start charging $5.99 or $6.99 a month to see if interest is there for it.

Amazing Member

With Comcast failing to get Disney , they honestly should look at Paramount Pictures as a good target to acquire. In fact by going after Paramount they will get a company that is in a worse spot than 21st Century Fox right now. Even though the company has turned a small profit ($9 million revenue profit in one quarter) the film division from Viacom has been a black hole for a number of years losing money.

Viacom's key business is its cable networks and the profits they get from it. The film division is like a sinkhole , even though Viacom promised that 2019 would be a return to bigger profits from them. But that remains to be seen.

Also looking back Universal and Paramount have had some weird dealings the last 60 years at times from Universal buying a lot of the pre 1948 films from Paramount at one time in the 1950's to a deal where they'd distribute films together in 1970's at one point. So its not like Comcast approaching Viacom with a big offer to buy the film studio and properties isn't a bad move here.

Plus , Comcast needs a streaming service and they'd get a hell of a shot in the arm with Tubi. Which is now carried on all the game systems and can stream (plus has 20+ million downloads already) . Its a partnership with Lionsgate , MGM and Paramount. By owning the Paramount division , Comcast can buy into a cheaper streaming service than Hulu. Plus it has the 2nd biggest library compared to Netflix. They can start charging $5.99 or $6.99 a month to see if interest is there for it.

I say they should try to acquire all of Viacom or at least as much as regulators will allow. Another option might be Hasbro. Also, they aren't giving up on acquiring Sky yet.

Personally I hope someone acquires Comcast now rather than the other way around.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeroyuy_Batman View Post
    I say they should try to acquire all of Viacom or at least as much as regulators will allow. Another option might be Hasbro. Also, they aren't giving up on acquiring Sky yet.
    Viacom won't sell plus the fact CBS/Viacom/Paramount are all tied together basically. CBS just runs Viacom as a separate entity with Paramount.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Personally I hope someone acquires Comcast now rather than the other way around.
    It could happen if cable keeps going down . The only deal is Comcast owns Universal and NBC.

Amazing Member

Viacom won't sell plus the fact CBS/Viacom/Paramount are all tied together basically. CBS just runs Viacom as a separate entity with Paramount.

It could happen if cable keeps going down . The only deal is Comcast owns Universal and NBC.
    CBS doesn't own Viacom. National Amusements owns both CBS and Viacom. Considering merging CBS and Viacom doesn't seem likely in the foreseeable future, selling Viacom makes sense.

As far as Comcast goes, a merger with Verizon might be possible, but I doubt regulators would allow it. Honestly, Disney buying Universal would have been cool, but won't happen now with Disney buying Fox, plus Comcast won't sell it to Disney and Disney probably wouldn't be allowed by regulators to buy the theme parks and DreamWorks Animation.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeroyuy_Batman View Post
    CBS doesn't own Viacom. National Amusements owns both CBS and Viacom. Considering merging CBS and Viacom doesn't seem likely in the foreseeable future, selling Viacom makes sense.

As far as Comcast goes, a merger with Verizon might be possible, but I doubt regulators would allow it. Honestly, Disney buying Universal would have been cool, but won't happen now with Disney buying Fox, plus Comcast won't sell it to Disney and Disney probably wouldn't be allowed by regulators to buy the theme parks and DreamWorks Animation.
    Ok I was wrong , it was actually Viacom that owned CBS that spun it off into a separate entity back in 2006.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cb...m-is-completed

Viacom kept its cable networks and Paramount Pictures after this under them.

Amazing Member

Ok I was wrong , it was actually Viacom that owned CBS that spun it off into a separate entity back in 2006.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cb...m-is-completed

Viacom kept its cable networks and Paramount Pictures after this under them.
    Yep. Networks like Nickelodeon and MTV should be of some interest to Comcast. I think other assets would as well, like Star Trek movie rights, the Mission: Impossible franchise, and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise. Not only that, Viacom is about the only thing out there that is close in comparison of the scale of Fox's assets.

I suppose Comcast might also make a go at Netflix, but I doubt that would be successful because I doubt Netflix wants to sell. Also, it's rumored that Disney tried to make deal for Netflix and nothing came of it so I definitely don't think Comcast would have better luck.