Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    I always find it hilarious when she threw her enemies in Limbo and no one on the New Mutants cared.
    (
    LOL...I remember her threatening a few of them before so they were probably scared to check her. Dont blame them

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Deep down, it's always about how much the author want his/her universe to mirror ours.

Comics have been often despised because they lull us in a universe where actions have little consequences: she died, she will ressurect later, he is crippled, he will walk again… and where the most unexpectable things happen: everything is against the hero, he will miraculously escape…

I am maybe too old for this kind of comic.
    Nah, you're only too old if you can't enjoy it anymore. Which is the part that the argument you brought up misses, people who despise comics for being unrealistic don't understand them. They are supposed to be entertaining not realistic. They tell larger than life stories, modern day myths and fables. The best will be more than laser beams and fisticuffs, but they don't (and shouldn't) try and be about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    Nah, you're only too old if you can't enjoy it anymore. Which is the part that the argument you brought up misses, people who despise comics for being unrealistic don't understand them. They are supposed to be entertaining not realistic. They tell larger than life stories, modern day myths and fables. The best will be more than laser beams and fisticuffs, but they don't (and shouldn't) try and be about everything.
    The writers like Claremont, Lobdell or Carey weren't accurate about everything but they were about things that mattered to me: psychology, feelings, relationships… It rang true to me. The rest was glitter like a gift wrap but, after all, a story needs movement, suspense, tension…
    If, for a writer, the glitter is psychology, feelings, relationships… well, I suppose, it's not for me.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    The writers like Claremont, Lobdell or Carey weren't accurate about everything but they were about things that mattered to me: psychology, feelings, relationships… It rang true to me. The rest was glitter like a gift wrap but, after all, a story needs movement, suspense, tension…
    If, for a writer, the glitter is psychology, feelings, relationships… well, I suppose, it's not for me.
    Fair point, no one should ever be told what they like or dislike is bad. Personally I think Hickman and co. are the closest we've gotten to that in a long while but that is an opinion. Kate Pryde for example is pretty spot on for what a person with emotional trauma, depression, and isolation can act like.

Fair point, no one should ever be told what they like or dislike is bad. Personally I think Hickman and co. are the closest we've gotten to that in a long while but that is an opinion. Kate Pryde for example is pretty spot on for what a person with emotional trauma, depression, and isolation can act like.
    Quite. Kate's life has been a trainwreck lately, even by the standards of comic book characters. And while I do think Duggan is engaging in a certain amount of misdirection, in that he's playing up the contrast to Kate's prior characterization for humor value, the fact that the other cast are remarking on it is a good indication that he's also aware that he's got her acting OOC and setting her up for a fall of some kind.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Quite. Kate's life has been a trainwreck lately, even by the standards of comic book characters. And while I do think Duggan is engaging in a certain amount of misdirection, in that he's playing up the contrast to Kate's prior characterization for humor value, the fact that the other cast are remarking on it is a good indication that he's also aware that he's got her acting OOC and setting her up for a fall of some kind.
    What exactly is/was so bad about Kate's life that is currently making her act the way she is in Marauders? She was stable, professional and levelheaded in Gold, very much an adult in full control of her life. Even her non-wedding to Colossus seemed to have no adverse effect/impact on her, actually Peter seemed more affected by it being called off. So what was the catalyst for the extreme change in universe? Kate just seems to have done a complete 180 turn in behavior and personality, and I don't think its because she can't use the Krakoan gates.

Can't say I'm much in agreement about Kitty's personality under Guggs, Grace, and Thompson in the Gold era, but just going by her most notable recent events, it's been a lot. She called off two engagements in the space of a few months at best. She got her shot at leadership after the latest extinction crisis, only to have that fall apart just in time for the end of the world. (There's a lot to be said about the meta surrounding that, but anyway.) She then got yanked into an alternate reality where her identity was stripped away, was placed into a mindfuck rehab center by her so-called friends (who were also being mindfucked), then got rescued/played by love-guru Apocalypse. Gets back from that little jaunt and yay, the world hasn't actually ended, things are just worse for mutants than they were before, and her best friend is "dead" again. Time skip. Things finally, finally start to look like they're actually going good for mutants... and she's barred from paradise for reasons no one can explain.

I get that comic book characters lead existences that are as soap-opera as you can get. But I think there's enough there to justify Kate hitting a wall if a writer wants to go in that direction.

BANNED

Can't say I'm much in agreement about Kitty's personality under Guggs, Grace, and Thompson in the Gold era, but just going by her most notable recent events, it's been a lot. She called off two engagements in the space of a few months at best. She got her shot at leadership after the latest extinction crisis, only to have that fall apart just in time for the end of the world. (There's a lot to be said about the meta surrounding that, but anyway.) She then got yanked into an alternate reality where her identity was stripped away, was placed into a mindfuck rehab center by her so-called friends (who were also being mindfucked), then got rescued/played by love-guru Apocalypse. Gets back from that little jaunt and yay, the world hasn't actually ended, things are just worse for mutants than they were before, and her best friend is "dead" again. Time skip. Things finally, finally start to look like they're actually going good for mutants... and she's barred from paradise for reasons no one can explain.

I get that comic book characters lead existences that are as soap-opera as you can get. But I think there's enough there to justify Kate hitting a wall if a writer wants to go in that direction.
    It was a bit of horrible characterization, but Kitty also wanted to stay in the AoXM with Colossus rather than return to the real world so that's another "kicked out of paradise" moment.

All true, but the blocked from Paradise issue is way more of a hit than many here seem to credit. The idea that every mutant, from Xavier to Apocalypse no matter how bad, is free to join while she isn't can be a huge emotional blow. She's now instantaneously an outsider among outsiders, made different from every other person in the world. Its one hell of a mindjob and creates a huge emotional gulf between her and her friends. That kind of isolation can make you question everything you've done, your worthiness, your personal worth. Why don't you measure up? Why aren't you good enough for paradise? Left on your own with only Wolverines stash of alcohol while you stew trying to figure why your not good enough... Yeah, becoming a cranky, impulsive, drunk with a slight mean streak... isn't hard to imagine. Its actually pretty spot on.

BANNED

All true, but the blocked from Paradise issue is way more of a hit than many here seem to credit. The idea that every mutant, from Xavier to Apocalypse no matter how bad, is free to join while she isn't can be a huge emotional blow. She's now instantaneously an outsider among outsiders, made different from every other person in the world. Its one hell of a mindjob and creates a huge emotional gulf between her and her friends. That kind of isolation can make you question everything you've done, your worthiness, your personal worth. Why don't you measure up? Why aren't you good enough for paradise? Left on your own with only Wolverines stash of alcohol while you stew trying to figure why your not good enough... Yeah, becoming a cranky, impulsive, drunk with a slight mean streak... isn't hard to imagine. Its actually pretty spot on.
    Even if she go to Krakoa now all mutants now her as "the mutant who couldnt use the gates", she is an anomaly an mutant between mutants.

Pyro's powers are rubbish. You might as well have a human on the team with a flame thrower. He doesn't seem to use his powers to control flames. Maybe it's time he became a proper pyrokinetic.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

so is x force the best dawn of x book now?
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Pyro's powers are rubbish. You might as well have a human on the team with a flame thrower. He doesn't seem to use his powers to control flames. Maybe it's time he became a proper pyrokinetic.
    He's not on the team bc of his powerset. We dont know why he was chosen yet but maybe Duggan will get around to that. As of now he seems redundant with Iceman as he is written with a very similar personality

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    so is x force the best dawn of x book now?
    In my most humble opinion, yes. But I'm loving most of them.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Pyro schtick was always that he can control flames, but not generate them. Hence the flamethrower he carries around. The good old days, when mutant powers had limitations to make them interesting!