Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Calintz View Post
    Apparently not lol. Also you would think they would have better security as well. What is up with that tho. I mean you have the BEST heroes who can design such good security but it's either never enough or not there.
    If you're dealing with a teleporter of any sort, security is sort of a problem though. Plus given Skull is a telepath, it's likely not impossible for him to get around whatever security measures they may have.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If you're dealing with a teleporter of any sort, security is sort of a problem though. Plus given Skull is a telepath, it's likely not impossible for him to get around whatever security measures they may have.
    True that but when you people as smart as Mr. Fantastic, Iron man, Beast, and Forge you would thing they would have found a way to detect or counter such a problem. Portals opening or teleporting can be detected. Especially the energy they produce.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    I'd even go as far as to say it's not poor writing to not have Havok go to one of the mutant healers. At least, it's no worse writing than having a character that can heal people not decide to open up shop and make a fortune and fundamentally alter the medical industry.

At this point, there are solutions for just about any plot point that gets introduced.

To say its poor writing to have a character carry a scar from an ordeal because there's a magical fix for it in an unrelated story just seems off. It's poor continuity , sure, I'll grant that. But poor writing? To have a character face repercussions for his actions instead of having them magicked away? Doesn't sound like any description of poor writing that I know of.
    The problem is that this is an established continuity. If this were a stand-alone creator project then it wouldn't be an issue. But when you have so many long-standing people/ways that could easily fix that problem, then you have to give a darn good explanation for why they don't explore those. If you have to flat-out ignore/contradict such options just to make your premise work, then your premise was flawed from the beginning. That's the price you pay for writing in such a long-standing established continuity.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calintz View Post
    True that but when you people as smart as Mr. Fantastic, Iron man, Beast, and Forge you would thing they would have found a way to detect or counter such a problem. Portals opening or teleporting can be detected. Especially the energy they produce.
    Especially since all of the heroes HQ's have been attacked repeatedly in the past. Sooner or later, they just start looking incompetent if that keeps happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    The problem is that this is an established continuity. If this were a stand-alone creator project then it wouldn't be an issue. But when you have so many long-standing people/ways that could easily fix that problem, then you have to give a darn good explanation for why they don't explore those. If you have to flat-out ignore/contradict such options just to make your premise work, then your premise was flawed from the beginning. That's the price you pay for writing in such a long-standing established continuity.
    I disagree. I understand it ignores established continuity. But I think in this case, the established continuity isn't worth incorporating. I don't really like characters who can heal others, especially given that super heroes are already ridiculously resilient. And especially when said healers exist solely to heal the super heroes, and their abilities are never examined much beyond that.

I prefer the writer to go with his approach, because I think his is the stronger of the two options.

I don't consider simply adhering to continuity to be the major criteria for solid writing. It can play a part, yes, but it is not the end all be all.

BANNED

I disagree. I understand it ignores established continuity. But I think in this case, the established continuity isn't worth incorporating. I don't really like characters who can heal others, especially given that super heroes are already ridiculously resilient. And especially when said healers exist solely to heal the super heroes, and their abilities are never examined much beyond that.

I prefer the writer to go with his approach, because I think his is the stronger of the two options.

I don't consider simply adhering to continuity to be the major criteria for solid writing. It can play a part, yes, but it is not the end all be all.
    I agree that in cases like this worrying about continuity would just detract from the story. Many people don't understand that if all this stuff they ask for would be actually built–in in the stories they would find such stories boring and unfocused.

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    I agree that in cases like this worrying about continuity would just detract from the story. Many people don't understand that if all this stuff they ask for would be actually built–in in the stories they would find such stories boring and unfocused.
    Very true. And also bloated to include a bunch of scenes that are in there just to satisfy the continuity checklist.

WHY does larocca INSIST on drawing rogue like some sloppy stray dog??

I'd even go as far as to say it's not poor writing to not have Havok go to one of the mutant healers. At least, it's no worse writing than having a character that can heal people not decide to open up shop and make a fortune and fundamentally alter the medical industry.
    It is poor writing wheb it is ignored by people that have esxtensicve worked with those same healers and who are complain that there is no fix availble, The fix would be obovieous to everyone in that room immediately re even the most dim-witted. This story is set in a universe where healers are a normal thing for Super-heroes and Mutants to deal with, not doing so just makes the characters fools

there are many security systems that are telepath Proof, two person access with retinal scans is a simple solution a solution that is at least a decade old in our humdrum real world

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    I cringe when an 8000 pound elephant that is the norm in the MU is ignored because the writer is not good enough to write around it

BANNED

I don't recall ever seeing Wanda drink..even in Wedding issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    I cringe when an 8000 pound elephant that is the norm in the MU is ignored because the writer is not good enough to write around it
    What exactly is this 8000 pound gorilla you're talking about becauae I don't recall Vision or Kitty ever removing an ionic beibg fron Rogue.

What exactly is this 8000 pound gorilla you're talking about becauae I don't recall Vision or Kitty ever removing an ionic beibg fron Rogue.
    Healing Havok is what I was talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    there are many security systems that are telepath Proof, two person access with retinal scans is a simple solution a solution that is at least a decade old in our humdrum real world
    Course that won't stop a teleporter. And if you can't think of a way a telepath/mind controller can't get past a retinal scan you're not trying hard enough. Control the right person and you can likely get past almost anything