Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Most people forget Katar Hol was half-Native American during the 90s.

I'm cool with the casting, dude isn't a pretty boy and looks like he'll make for a properly intimidating and macho Hawkman.

Not thrilled with the same actor playing both modern day Carter as well as Khufu, but it's not a big deal and will make the reincarnation thing play out easier. If this were a Hawk film I'd maybe be more disappointed but it's a viable shorthand for a movie where Hawkman is just a supporting character.

I'm glad they didnt cast a white guy but kinda annoyed that WB apparently went "Hawkman's from Egypt? Cast a black guy because Africa!" but it's far from a deal breaker or anything.

Generally speaking I'm usually pretty happy with the DCEU casting and this is no exception. The problems these films have are rarely with the actors but the people behind the camera. Still, with Johnson putting so much effort into this film I'm tentatively hopeful that we'll get a good movie.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Suddenly Phil LaMarr voicing a darker-skinned Hawkman on DCSHG feels prophetic...

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Most people forget Katar Hol was half-Native American during the 90s.
    Was he? How does that even work for a Thanagarian? Did they retcon his origin to not be an alien?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Was he? How does that even work for a Thanagarian? Did they retcon his origin to not be an alien?
    IIRC, his father had come to earth before him and taken a Native American wife who had returned to Thanagar with him, but my recollection could be off on the details.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    IIRC, his father had come to earth before him and taken a Native American wife who had returned to Thanagar with him, but my recollection could be off on the details.

-M
    Well that makes as much sense as anything else. Fair.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I usually hate racebending, but I'm fine with this casting. Hawkman at least makes sense as a PoC, given his origin. Yeah, he's not Egyptian, but Hollywood only cares about ethnicity if it's China.
    As a comic reader, I always want the character to look how they look in the comics. That rarely happens even when the actor is the same color/race. I'm not thrilled by the decision to make him black, but it's not a point of contention. I just hope he has a good outfit -- because the ones used in Legends were pretty awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Suddenly Phil LaMarr voicing a darker-skinned Hawkman on DCSHG feels prophetic...
    Weird, don't watch the show but LaMarr's Aquaman voice is the one I've read for Hawkman going through his current series.

Default How Hawkman Could Soar Beyond 'Black Adam' | Hollywood Reporter

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ond-black-adam

article from the Hollywood Reporter about the Aldis Hodge as Hawkman. I found this particularly interesting:

"[An] interesting element of Hawkman that could be explored through the casting of Aldis Hodge is what reincarnation looks like for a Black man. Puzzlingly, the Egyptian Khufu is consistently resurrected as a white man in the comics, so his time as the 5th-century knight, Brian Kent, the Old West gunslinger, Nighthawk, and oddly, Captain John Smith (yes, that one), have left the character unaffected by prejudices and social injustices of the time. Even the idea of a Black archaeologist situates the character within a fresh perspective when it comes to talking about stolen artifacts and land, something that could easily put Hall in conflict with Black Adam, ruler of Kahndaq. We’ve seen immortality explored before but never focused through the lens of a Black man. Hancock (2008) did it on a surface level, but never situated the character in a time other than the present. There’s a chance to explore Hawkman like never before, and connect his Egyptian origins to Black Adam’s in a way that focuses on how two men born in the same location have managed to navigate their immortality and morality"

I found it interesting because this is the kind of thing I've been advocating for exploring Duke Thomas' family and their connection to immortality. I know there are gonna be some people who groan at the very idea of any social issues or messages but I think it's an added dimension that can make a character's story more compelling. I'll admit my bias tho, while I always liked Hawkman in theory but I have always had a hard time getting into the character because honestly it's weird to me reading about an Egyptian prince that is consistently depicted as a white man even though he can reincarnate into literally any culture; admittedly Venditti's take on the character was the first one that really pulled me in (even if I was a bit inconsistent) just because I loved the way he synergized and expanded upon Hawkman's mythology. So honestly I'm all for more of anything that that adds some color to the character.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

While I don't want to see Carter change, his past lives should show more diversity. For all we hear of his adventures in time, we don't get to see him in feudal Japan, for example. Give me samurai Hawkman! A Hawkman forced on the business and of the United States of America's colonial era as a Native American could be very interesting, it makes for some painful irony too considering Nighthawk.

For what it's worth, I've always figured the reason Carter hates Ollie is that he's lived so long he has been on both sides of the political spectrum and is open to discussion because he feels both are flawed and currently leans conservative, but Ollie just shouts down dissent and assumes he knows better, a remnant of his time as the idle rich. Of course, Carter does this too, so ultimately they'd get on pretty well if they could get over themselves. I admit I side with Ollie pretty much every time, but that's probably a part of his ire for the emerald archer.
    Last edited by Robanker; 09-29-2020 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ond-black-adam

article from the Hollywood Reporter about the Aldis Hodge as Hawkman. I found this particularly interesting:

"[An] interesting element of Hawkman that could be explored through the casting of Aldis Hodge is what reincarnation looks like for a Black man. Puzzlingly, the Egyptian Khufu is consistently resurrected as a white man in the comics, so his time as the 5th-century knight, Brian Kent, the Old West gunslinger, Nighthawk, and oddly, Captain John Smith (yes, that one), have left the character unaffected by prejudices and social injustices of the time. Even the idea of a Black archaeologist situates the character within a fresh perspective when it comes to talking about stolen artifacts and land, something that could easily put Hall in conflict with Black Adam, ruler of Kahndaq. We’ve seen immortality explored before but never focused through the lens of a Black man. Hancock (2008) did it on a surface level, but never situated the character in a time other than the present. There’s a chance to explore Hawkman like never before, and connect his Egyptian origins to Black Adam’s in a way that focuses on how two men born in the same location have managed to navigate their immortality and morality"

I found it interesting because this is the kind of thing I've been advocating for exploring Duke Thomas' family and their connection to immortality. I know there are gonna be some people who groan at the very idea of any social issues or messages but I think it's an added dimension that can make a character's story more compelling. I'll admit my bias tho, while I always liked Hawkman in theory but I have always had a hard time getting into the character because honestly it's weird to me reading about an Egyptian prince that is consistently depicted as a white man even though he can reincarnate into literally any culture; admittedly Venditti's take on the character was the first one that really pulled me in (even if I was a bit inconsistent) just because I loved the way he synergized and expanded upon Hawkman's mythology. So honestly I'm all for more of anything that that adds some color to the character.
    My dream run for Hawkman would be one exploring how his views and morality are influenced by the place and time of his births. In one life he is a egyptian prince in another he is a roman centurion conquering egypt. In one life he is a Muslin warrior in another he is a crusader. In one he is a portuguese/spanish "explorer" in another he is an aztec warrior.

Even more, I think Hawkman is the perfect character to explore a nature vs. nurture situation, because he isn't reborn remembering all his past lives, and for the first couple decades of his life he is almost a normal guy, so what happens if he is born in a criminal family and then a some point remember he is a hero? Anyway, a 12 issues maxi-series, the type that Tom King usually do would be great.

Just stick with the police officer from the planet Thanagar instead.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    While I don't want to see Carter change, his past lives should show more diversity. For all we hear of his adventures in time, we don't get to see him in feudal Japan, for example. Give me samurai Hawkman! A Hawkman forced on the business and of the United States of America's colonial era as a Native American could be very interesting, it makes for some painful irony too considering Nighthawk.

For what it's worth, I've always figured the reason Carter hates Ollie is that he's lived so long he has been on both sides of the political spectrum and is open to discussion because he feels both are flawed and currently leans conservative, but Ollie just shouts down dissent and assumes he knows better, a remnant of his time as the idle rich. Of course, Carter does this too, so ultimately they'd get on pretty well if they could get over themselves. I admit I side with Ollie pretty much every time, but that's probably a part of his ire for the emerald archer.
    If there was a relevant DC character in Feudal Japan, they probably would have retconned him into being Carter Hall (or at least knowing Carter's reincarnation back then).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If there was a relevant DC character in Feudal Japan, they probably would have retconned him into being Carter Hall (or at least knowing Carter's reincarnation back then).
    Yeah, they did it with Nighthawk and Silent Knight, but the sengoku era is too interesting to just ignore and DC should absolutely mine it.

so Aldis Hodge posted the books he's reading to prep for his Hawkman role.

Now I'm not the most well read Hawkman guy, help me make heads or tails outta this Hawkman fans (Hawkfans? The Hawk's mans?), any insights from this collection speaking to you? is it a solid collection to get a grasp the character? any narrative throughlines?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."