Page 164 of 233 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174214 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 3484

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Ah yeah, tell DC that Duke Thomas should have the same number of issues as Batman. What about alien lanterns? They deserve the same, too.

In the case of tv shows, that not how storytelling works. You canÂ’t use scattered stories to attract enough audience to sustain the show. Unless you think Emerald Knights is a good animation.
    I think you're going a little over the board with the Batman and Duke Thomas comparison, but I would love to see the alien lanterns getting a spotlight, I mean, Killowog deserves it.
    Just by reading Morrison and Sharpe work I'm already more intrigued by the weird lanterns they are using than half the human lanterns.

Look, I only started to really get into the Green Lantern mythos with Morrison, so I'm not as attached to any particular GL, not as the marjority on this site, if forced to choose, I will probably side with Hal, before mostly because of all the hate and unfair criticism he use to get and now because he is starring the best DC book right now, tied with JCH.

But the truth is, as someone that just got into the fandom, that NONE of the Green Lanterns are as big as their fans seems to believe, specially Hal and John fans, at least not when it comes to the mainstream audience and a tv show or movie.

In Hal's case, the giant history, rogues gallery and mythology that in the comics make him unique, don't mean **** on a adaptation, because whoever DC decides to use will get it, so if Guy is the main character on the TV show, you can bet that Sinestro is going to be his nemesis, the biggest arcs starred by Hal will go to him and don't be surprised if he get a Star Saphire girlfriend.
    In John's case the main argument is that a whole generation growup with him on the cartoons and to them he is the Green Lantern. I'm from that generation, but for my nephew, Green Lantern is just a guy with a ring that creates green stuff, he only know them from the Injustice games.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I think you're going a little over the board with the Batman and Duke Thomas comparison, but I would love to see the alien lanterns getting a spotlight, I mean, Killowog deserves it.
    Just by reading Morrison and Sharpe work I'm already more intrigued by the weird lanterns they are using than half the human lanterns.

Look, I only started to really get into the Green Lantern mythos with Morrison, so I'm not as attached to any particular GL, not as the marjority on this site, if forced to choose, I will probably side with Hal, before mostly because of all the hate and unfair criticism he use to get and now because he is starring the best DC book right now, tied with JCH.

But the truth is, as someone that just got into the fandom, that NONE of the Green Lanterns are as big as their fans seems to believe, specially Hal and John fans, at least not when it comes to the mainstream audience and a tv show or movie.

In Hal's case, the giant history, rogues gallery and mythology that in the comics make him unique, don't mean **** on a adaptation, because whoever DC decides to use will get it, so if Guy is the main character on the TV show, you can bet that Sinestro is going to be his nemesis, the biggest arcs starred by Hal will go to him and don't be surprised if he get a Star Saphire girlfriend.
    In John's case the main argument is that a whole generation growup with him on the cartoons and to them he is the Green Lantern. I'm from that generation, but for my nephew, Green Lantern is just a guy with a ring that creates green stuff, he only know them from the Injustice games.
    If you have Guy or John act like Hal, fight Hal's villians, date Hal's girlfriend, feel Hal's emotions, do what Hal did in a live action show, why not just call him Hal? That's meaningless to make a detour like that.
    I agree that alien lanterns are more interesting than half of the human lanterns. Hell, that should be what GL franchise stands for, Sci-Fi and romance and imagination and so on. How can you distinguish Green Lantern among other franchises if all we can see is earthlings. One of the reasons I hate HJGLC is that it marginalized all the alien characters.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    I don't think its possible to avoid it now. You have a generation that grew up watching John Stewart on the JLA cartoon, and you have an 8 year run of Kyle as GL, and as consequence, you have a I hate Hal brigade because they resent having their favourite GL in the shadows.

This is the problem with duplicate heroes, it pits fan against fan, and breeds toxicity.
    That I get, what I don’t see the point of is starting one here. Don’t see me barging into the John or Kyle threads trying to start one.
    Last edited by Gaius; 10-05-2020 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Because I’m not a fan of Hal. Everyone has their favorites and their biases. I have mine and I’ve clearly chosen my side. John is my favorite, followed by Jessica with Kyle being a cool addition as well.

If DC wants to just focus on Hal, like they did for the past 20+ years, fine whatever, I don’t care. But don’t drag John (and Jessica now) along just for diversity points (look at us we have diverse characters too) like they been doing until recently. Just retire them! It’s better that way
    This is a Hal Jordan appreciation thread, right?
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

If they ever want to not use Hal for an adaptation but avoid using anything connected to his stuff, I'm starting to think they should forgo John Stewart and adapt Far Sector. At least that seems to be standing completely on its own (I plan on checking it out when it's in trade).

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Actually the 90s Green Lantern comic did that. That eventually lead to Green Lantern Mosaic and Guy's book. With Hal on the main one.

But why should it be like that? In reality you are trying to force Kyle, John, Jo or whoever else fans to buy a Hal book. When MANY don't want to. Who already understand if the shoe was on the other foot- most Hal fans would not touch their books ESPECIALLY a John one.

So as a result fans walk away. Because there are too many other choices without the drama.

Hal fans want to yell at John fans for not supporting Hal Jordan & TGLC-when they were TOLD by the artist that was Hal's book and he is the only GL that matters. That yelling should have been at DC editorial.

How many times do folks have scream at a brick wall to say "USE ALL OF THEM?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Because I’m not a fan of Hal. Everyone has their favorites and their biases. I have mine and I’ve clearly chosen my side. John is my favorite, followed by Jessica with Kyle being a cool addition as well.

If DC wants to just focus on Hal, like they did for the past 20+ years, fine whatever, I don’t care. But don’t drag John (and Jessica now) along just for diversity points (look at us we have diverse characters too) like they been doing until recently. Just retire them! It’s better that way
    Sooo...are you guys aware of what thread you are posting in?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If they ever want to not use Hal for an adaptation but avoid using anything connected to his stuff, I'm starting to think they should forgo John Stewart and adapt Far Sector. At least that seems to be standing completely on its own (I plan on checking it out when it's in trade).

Sooo...are you guys aware of what thread you are posting in?
    Yes, most John Stewart fans seem to believe that DC will go with him on adaptations, for diversity reasons.
    But they also forget that Jessica Cruz and now Jo Mullen not just are POC they are also women, and both have more stand out story arcs than John. Jessica with her anxiety problems put a whole new spin on the GL concept and make a great counter point to Hal fearless personality and Jo Mullen is by design is far removed from any of the previous GL stories and the whole Far Sector is just read to be adapted.

I can see Hal and Jessica on the HBO Max show, and Jo Mullen on a movie.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrumsey View Post
    This is a Hal Jordan appreciation thread, right?
    I do not understand why this is happening in this thread, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Yes, most John Stewart fans seem to believe that DC will go with him on adaptations, for diversity reasons.
    But they also forget that Jessica Cruz and now Jo Mullen not just are POC they are also women, and both have more stand out story arcs than John. Jessica with her anxiety problems put a whole new spin on the GL concept and make a great counter point to Hal fearless personality and Jo Mullen is by design is far removed from any of the previous GL stories and the whole Far Sector is just read to be adapted.

I can see Hal and Jessica on the HBO Max show, and Jo Mullen on a movie.
    Yes, those were my thoughts exactly. Jess already has more consistent characterization and would work wonderfully as a contrasting partner to Hal. If you want representation, she's a latina woman with anxiety issues she struggles with. They could also lean into Hal's Jewish heritage.

Jo will have a 12 issue series that will be a self contained graphic novel with her own location, characters and concepts to utilize. I haven't read the series yet, but from what I know it doesn't look to have any appearances by the likes Sinestro, Star Sapphire, etc. it's all her own stuff. If I'm a WB executive, I'm taking note of Jess and Jo over John or even Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yes, those were my thoughts exactly. Jess already has more consistent characterization and would work wonderfully as a contrasting partner to Hal. If you want representation, she's a latina woman with anxiety issues she struggles with. They could also lean into Hal's Jewish heritage.

Jo will have a 12 issue series that will be a self contained graphic novel with her own location, characters and concepts to utilize. I haven't read the series yet, but from what I know it doesn't look to have any appearances by the likes Sinestro, Star Sapphire, etc. it's all her own stuff. If I'm a WB executive, I'm taking note of Jess and Jo over John or even Hal.
    I think the problem with using Jo is entirely because she only has one 12-issue mini and is divorced from a lot of the recognizable GL stuff.

It works for her to standout in the comics but less so for an adaption in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the problem with using Jo is entirely because she only has one 12-issue mini and is divorced from a lot of the recognizable GL stuff.

It works for her to standout in the comics but less so for an adaption in my opinion.
    I don't think GL is so recognizable to mainstream audiences it will would really hurt it or be that much of a departure. I'd say to most it's mainly "person with a green space ring that does some funky stuff".

Are people just not aware of the rules of an appreciation thread? Go complain somewhere else, please - there are plenty of other threads in which to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I don't think GL is so recognizable to mainstream audiences it will would really hurt it or be that much of a departure. I'd say to most it's mainly "person with a green space ring that does some funky stuff".
    Yeah, beyond the basic power set of the ring I don't think the GL stuff is recognizable enough that Jo not having the likes of Sinestro around would be a major detriment. Hell even the Wonder Woman film doesn't have everything recognizable from her mythos and she's a bigger deal than the GLs. The optics of a female POC and the potential benefits that brings dwarf using the Silver Age GL stuff in her film. It being one graphic novel also isn't that much of a factor either, they could add their own embellishments and expand it to get at least a couple films out of it.

But to bring this back to Hal () he would still be my preferred choice for either a lead or co-lead if we're brining on the traditional GL stuff. Most of that originates with him. But if it's not limited to one narrative, we could get Hal and a partner (John or Jess) and Jo off on her own.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    This is perfection