Spoilers ahead!

spoilers:
    Superman is getting changed by the Doomsday virus

He gets more and more violent

He doesn't kill Lex, it's just his imagination

Krypto kills an animal to feed Clark

At the end, Clark is becoming Doomsday
    end of spoilers

So far this story has been rather entertaining!
    "I'm going to score this T-shirt and I am going to wear it because I want to"

So the preview was all in his head after all. People were having a fit over that.

Quote Originally Posted by SSJ4JW View Post
    So the preview was all in his head after all. People were having a fit over that.
    No, people were upset because others wanted Superman to have beaten Lex for real. Those other people didn't want it to be the result of Doomsday making Superman act a certain way, and instead thought the idea of Superman attacking Lex was a good thing for Superman to do in his right mind. I always wanted it to be either Superman acting out because of Doomsday's influence or some sort of hallucination -- anything that wasn't Superman literally brutalizing Lex while completely in control of his senses. So I am pleased with the outcome, while I imagine others who wanted Superman to be the kind of guy who typically acts more like Superdoom are disappointed.

Just noticed this continuity snafu: Lois already knew who Lana was contrary to what today's Action implied.

I'll add this to Pak's other mistake which resulted in his retconning the way Morrison had Clark and Lana part ways.

It's always nice to see Krypto.

I'm only getting the Action portions of "Doomed," but even without reading the other parts, this was still pretty good.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SSJ4JW View Post
    Which was pretty obvious.
    But hey, what would the internet be without a little overreaction?
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Not a bad issue, some good moments, like when he spends time with Krypto. =)

It was definitely one of the weaker issues in Pak's run tho', but that might be because his other issues have been pretty great, and this was mostly just ok.

The rotation of so many different artists kind of rubbed me the wrong way tho'... the styles used was a bit too jarringly different. Wouldn't it have been better to just use artists that were more similar, or get one super-fast fill-in to do it all, instead? Someone like JrJr, or perhaps Bagley. ( then again, DC wasted Bagley, so he's not available, and I guess JrJr can't really be used prior to his big debute. But I imagine someone like, oh say Jerry Ordway, could have actually pulled this entire issue off, quickly, without help.)

Hoping Krypto has some more parts in this. His senses should be sharper than Supes and can always track him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Just noticed this continuity snafu: Lois already knew who Lana was contrary to what today's Action implied.

I'll add this to Pak's other mistake which resulted in his retconning the way Morrison had Clark and Lana part ways.
    Yes, Clark mentioned her to Lois once. Five/six years earlier. In reference to a picture taken many years before that, when Lana would have been in her mid teens.

Why should Lois immediately recognise her?

Yeah, I'm not seeing any snafu here. Its well within reason that she might not recognize her. Whether Pak remembered this scene and took it into account or not I of course don't know and cannot attest to, but it ends up fairly irrelevant as the idea that she doesn't remember her is not in the slightest bit an oddity.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-14-2014 at 06:49 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

5 years ago and it was a very small moment about a prom date. I'll give it a pass but I noticed it too. I think the last part was a deliberate retcon as Lana was not originally gonna be an electrical engineer. So I'll let that pass too.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Great issue! Pak is the man! Enjoying the event so far.

STEEL!!!!!! Love it! Love the direction. John is going some good time in the comic going forward it seems!

Krypto leads his own wolf pack! Really cool didn't see it coming. Reminds me of Game of Thrones!

Dat art, son!!

Really liking the psychological, physical, and most of all ideological angle that Pak's issue takes. "I'm Superman When the worst threats come..I will save you...save you...SAVE YOU...KILL YOU." It's a look at Superman's own perceptions of himself. Him repeating "I'm Superman" in a very "I got this" sort of manner. Not over confidence mind you. Just trying to live up to the hype that his very being comes with. I'm down for this study on the character!

Lastly, love you Lana! Our little true believer! It was such a great moment with her. She's likely going to help with rebuild efforts like getting power back and just all around helping people. Love this girl, man.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Man, tough critic. My friends have shown me pictures of people that I literally wouldn't remember what they looked like or who they were the next day. I probably would have found it less believable if she would have said oh, that's Lana Lang, she went to prom with Clark, but I just can't remember if it was junior or senior year.

Not going to lie, I'm enjoying the hell out of this story.
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 05-14-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Yes, Clark mentioned her to Lois once. Five/six years earlier. In reference to a picture taken many years before that, when Lana would have been in her mid teens.
    I remember things my friends told me five years ago.

Why should Lois immediately recognise her?
    I didn't say anything about recognizing her face. I'm more confused about why Lois didn't remember the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yeah, I'm not seeing any snafu here. Its well within reason that she might not recognize her. Whether Pak remembered this scene and took it into account or not I of course don't know and cannot attest to, but it ends up fairly irrelevant as the idea that she doesn't remember her is not in the slightest bit an oddity.
    It's odd not only because it's canon that she knew about her but also because she and Clark are best friends. Do we really think that during the five years they've been friends Lois and Clark never talked about their pasts?

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    5 years ago and it was a very small moment about a prom date. I'll give it a pass but I noticed it too. I think the last part was a deliberate retcon as Lana was not originally gonna be an electrical engineer. So I'll let that pass too.
    I'm not bothered by the retcon; it's just something I noticed. Personally, I think it would have been fun/interesting if Lois had remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Man, tough critic. My friends have shown me pictures of people that I literally wouldn't remember what they looked like or who they were the next day. I probably would have found it less believable if she would have said oh, that's Lana Lang, she went to prom with Clark, but I just can't remember if it was junior or senior year.
    Wait? I didn't say anything about wanting Lois to reiterate Lana's life story. I just think it would have been a nice callback if she had said Lana's name a few times before saying something like she thinks she remembers Clark mentioning her once. Anyway, it's not a criticism but more a missed opportunity. It's always nice when writers remember little bits of continuity like this one.
    Last edited by misslane; 05-14-2014 at 08:38 PM.