Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    That's denial worthy of Rama-Tut.
    I just got this. I may not agree with you here but your phrase was noteworthy.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

The Hood made an assumption and it turned out to be false. And he should know what happens when one assumes.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Some good news related to the sales. Of course we won't have the Diamond Distributers numbers on the print issues but Comixology has MTIO annual in their top 20 for the week and the Marvel site lists in among their top sellers this week

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The Hood made an assumption and it turned out to be false. And he should know what happens when one assumes.
    They get their face burned by a demon?

I wonder how well this series is doing in sales.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I just hope it does well enough to keep it around after the new FF comic comes out. I love seeing Ben with all the other heroes. MTIO was one of my favorite comics as a child, and I had a love for Ben that was close to worship.

Since there's a lot to discuss about this annual, I thought I'd start a separate thread with a spoiler warning.

Briefly, it's very Doom-centric and it's worth noting a few quotes from an interview: Chip Zdarsky goes inside Doctor Doom's mind

As expected, what Zdarsky and Bendis have been doing in their recent books depends somewhat on what Slott's plans are. What I find a bit strange is not only did Reed do a soft erase some of Doom's memories about their final fight but he chooses to leave Ben and Johnny in the dark about his whereabouts and that of the kids and Sue. Does Reed actually think this is going to end up well?
    I thought it was a wonderful book. Most annuals have been vague and avoidable, but this little book has been slipped in unnoticed yet it holds a lot of the motivation of Doom and good Doom - that Victor is obsessed with Reed Richards, like a drug crazed ice addict. After this issue, we can see why Victor returns to his evil persona, because he cannot abide the very presence of Reed Richards in his universe.

The sad part of it is, we still haven’t explored what Victor could have achieved with Reeds removal and Victor being allowed to exercise his brilliance out in that universe. Why couldn’t we see a Victor von Doom space empire being created? Why couldn’t Victor have created this vast empire of support to the world on a Earth? Instead we get this tokenism of trying to emulate Tony Stark, without actually trying to out-perform Stark in Starks absence. Stark could have awoken to a world where Doom had achieved far greater success than both Stark and Richards, but instead we see a fairly docile, unimaginative a Doom strolling along the footprints Stark was leaving in the sand.

I am a bit saddened that Victor is has been discovered to be this shallow, morbid, and jealous character, who is dictated in behaviour by an obsession. I would have liked that he be his own man, and not be distracted by another mans drama. And of all people, Reed Richards, himself a rather vanilla character, who is easily someone to ignore. Stark yes, because Tony is flamboyant and enterprising. But Reed does nothing but wander through time writing textbooks of nature. Doom, find someone else to be obsessed with!!

My concern also is just how much of a reset this will be. I do complain about Bendis's handling of things but I have to give credit where it is do. He did try to establish a new status quo and to some extent he succeeded...if you take the Hood out of the equation. But at least this time there is no reason to link Reed to the Hood messing up Doom's face again. That is another thing that is missing IMO. I think Victor always suspected that it was Reed that repaired his face. Only the powers that were transferred to Reed could do that. I think they should have worked a scene in there were there was some kind of begrudging scene of gratitude over that.

The description of Fantastic Four #1 mentions "A clarion call-to-arms that summons Doctor Doom! "....one of the things that came to mind was since we have a new Council of Reeds, could we see a new Parliament of Dooms? I just hope it does lead to a Doom having repeated grudge matches against the FF.
    Have we come to the conclusion that Doom made himself forget, or, is Dooms memory loss Reeds doing? All I got from this story is that Reed suggested to Victor to imagine what Victor could do if he thought Reed and Sue were dead, and Victor did the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Have we come to the conclusion that Doom made himself forget, or, is Dooms memory loss Reeds doing? All I got from this story is that Reed suggested to Victor to imagine what Victor could do if he thought Reed and Sue were dead, and Victor did the rest?
    I took to mean that it was some sort of subliminal message that forced Doom to not accept that Reed and Sue could be alive.

I thought it was a wonderful book. Most annuals have been vague and avoidable, but this little book has been slipped in unnoticed yet it holds a lot of the motivation of Doom and good Doom - that Victor is obsessed with Reed Richards, like a drug crazed ice addict. After this issue, we can see why Victor returns to his evil persona, because he cannot abide the very presence of Reed Richards in his universe.

The sad part of it is, we still haven’t explored what Victor could have achieved with Reeds removal and Victor being allowed to exercise his brilliance out in that universe. Why couldn’t we see a Victor von Doom space empire being created? Why couldn’t Victor have created this vast empire of support to the world on a Earth? Instead we get this tokenism of trying to emulate Tony Stark, without actually trying to out-perform Stark in Starks absence. Stark could have awoken to a world where Doom had achieved far greater success than both Stark and Richards, but instead we see a fairly docile, unimaginative a Doom strolling along the footprints Stark was leaving in the sand.

I am a bit saddened that Victor is has been discovered to be this shallow, morbid, and jealous character, who is dictated in behaviour by an obsession. I would have liked that he be his own man, and not be distracted by another mans drama. And of all people, Reed Richards, himself a rather vanilla character, who is easily someone to ignore. Stark yes, because Tony is flamboyant and enterprising. But Reed does nothing but wander through time writing textbooks of nature. Doom, find someone else to be obsessed with!!
    Reed's not very emotive. and people sometimes interpret that as being "vanilla." but if you were to describe his actions w/o context, he'd come across a little differently. he's Rick from Rick and Morty without the alcoholism. he makes decisions of universal importance annually. he converses with his doppelgangers from other realities. he has created weapons to kill gods. he gave his wife a pocket universe for an anniversary gift. he used to be a globe trotting adventurer; prior to getting powers. his father is a time traveler and a former agent of SHIELD. on paper, he's objectively 100 x more interesting than anyone posting in this thread.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Deadpool stabs you.

“Assume something, and Deadpool will stab you,” that’s what they say.

I don’t know, maybe it’s a Canadian thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Reed's not very emotive. and people sometimes interpret that as being "vanilla." but if you were to describe his actions w/o context, he'd come across a little differently. he's Rick from Rick and Morty without the alcoholism. he makes decisions of universal importance annually. he converses with his doppelgangers from other realities. he has created weapons to kill gods. he gave his wife a pocket universe for an anniversary gift. he used to be a globe trotting adventurer; prior to getting powers. his father is a time traveler and a former agent of SHIELD. on paper, he's objectively 100 x more interesting than anyone posting in this thread.
    It’s good to be reminded of Reed Richards many assets like you have done here. But the man despite his achievements, comes across as a conceited, arrogant, elitist. He has never had his own super hero comic, that I am aware of. What does that tell you?

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    Deadpool stabs you.

“Assume something, and Deadpool will stab you,” that’s what they say.

I don’t know, maybe it’s a Canadian thing.
    Found the panel this is from, yet for some reason I can never get pictures to work on here.

https://i.imgur.com/sBbahSQ.jpg
    Last edited by Gambit, King of Thieves; 07-02-2018 at 09:24 AM.

It’s good to be reminded of Reed Richards many assets like you have done here. But the man despite his achievements, comes across as a conceited, arrogant, elitist. He has never had his own super hero comic, that I am aware of. What does that tell you?
    That Fantastic Four is his comic. There's nothing elitist about Reed. You're thinking of Doom.