Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Andor TV Series

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Know I'm maybe overspeculating on potential cameos perhaps, but with the show featuring the ISB and taking place around the time of Rebels season one, I wouldn't rule out Yularen or Kallus.
    I was surprised Yularen wasn't in that meeting.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I was surprised Yularen wasn't in that meeting.
    The highest ranked officer was... a Major? I think. Yularen would be WAY up the food chain. That was actually a fairly junior meeting.

It's been pointed out that the show might be returning to the "Stormtroopers are only elite units" canon, as we see more lightly armed "army" troopers in this episode and others, and of course in SOLO they were more lightly armored troops as well, although some of their armor was derivative of the Stormtroopers.

I mean, when you think about it, at least in the movies, Stormtroopers are almost always stationed at major Imperial installations, pursuing high profile targets, or accompanying higher-ups like Vader. (Ditto with the first order). Think part of the confusion of them being the only Imperial army is because the Clonetroopers were basically the Republic's army so some assume the Stormtroopers must be the same.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It's been pointed out that the show might be returning to the "Stormtroopers are only elite units" canon, as we see more lightly armed "army" troopers in this episode and others, and of course in SOLO they were more lightly armored troops as well, although some of their armor was derivative of the Stormtroopers.

I mean, when you think about it, at least in the movies, Stormtroopers are almost always stationed at major Imperial installations, pursuing high profile targets, or accompanying higher-ups like Vader. (Ditto with the first order). Think part of the confusion of them being the only Imperial army is because the Clonetroopers were basically the Republic's army so some assume the Stormtroopers must be the same.
    Considering what lousy shots Storm Troopers are, maybe they need higher standards for their "elites".
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Considering what lousy shots Storm Troopers are, maybe they need higher standards for their "elites".
    To be honest I'm not expecting any "Storm Troopers can't hit anything" jokes here. I think they might actually drop some bodies.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I like the the Scarlet Pimpernel/Zorro vibes with the Luthen character. Being a rebellion agent on the down low while pretending to be a foppish antiquities dealer to the wider world.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    I like the the Scarlet Pimpernel/Zorro vibes with the Luthen character. Being a rebellion agent on the down low while pretending to be a foppish antiquities dealer to the wider world.
    Yeah, I really loved that turn. We knew he led a double life from the trailers but I had thought that he'd be a senator.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, I really loved that turn. We knew he led a double life from the trailers but I had thought that he'd be a senator.
    We see from Mon Mothma how hard it is being a senator and a Rebel, so he's probably better off .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    To be honest I'm not expecting any "Storm Troopers can't hit anything" jokes here. I think they might actually drop some bodies.
    Stormtroopers are constantly waxing and waning in competence portrayals, and often enough to obscure some of the

For instance, in ANH, it’s actually a plot point that they *are* accurate most of the time, because they’re herding the heroes back to the Falcon as part of Vader’s plan - so they’re not bad shots in that film, but actually following orders. And in ESB they’re just competent, so it’s only the battle with the Ewoks that they look bad in, and they still manage to hit Leia in that one.

But once the joke of them being bad shots became popular, it keeps reasserting itself whenever a writer wants to have fun, even when that same creator may have tried to make them serious earlier.

I’m just waiting for someone to just embrace some reality-based explanation, like having the Stormtroopers be the equivalent of Spetznatz - yes, they’re meant to be an elite unit, but they’re so large and their command structure so funky that some are actually below average while others are genuinely elite.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I wish I was enjoying this more. It's not a bad science fiction drama, albeit a very slow one, but aside for some of the iconography, very little of it feels very much like Star Wars to me. But yeah, I did feel much the same way about Rogue One. Maybe it's just because I always relate Star Wars to the Jedi so a Star Wars property without at least some reference to the Force feels off to me, but mostly it's just because, well, it just ain't much fun. Honestly, it almost feels like what would happen if you were to make a whole show based entirely around the politics in the prequels - albeit much, much better written and acted. Like Rogue One, I'm really not feeling the characters, at least so far, and the serious lack of humour is a huge problem for me - what's the deal with filmmakers constantly assuming that the way to make something more "adult" or "mature" is to make it more self-serious and, well, dull? Like, really, where the hell is the personality here?

. And again, we're running into some serious prequalitis here where we already know where this is going and where its main character will end up so add all this to the boring plot and so far, pretty unmemorable characters and I'm just finding it exceptionally difficult to care about any of it.

At the same time, I do think exploring different sides of the Star Wars universe makes sense, especially if they are to make a whole franchise out of it beyond the main films. But some level of tonal consistency with the "space adventure" origins of the original films is, I think, needed to make it work. Those old X-Wing books would probably be a good template for what to do with characters and stories that aren't related to the Skywalker series, not just because they knew when to dip back into more familiar territory without overdoing it, but because they were still, fundamentally, fun Star Wars stories.

I'll stick with this because it has some good actors and decent potential but so far, the seemingly endless love that this series has gotten just baffles the hell out of me. I mean, yeah, it's better than the Book of Boba Fett, but at this point, what isn't?
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post

I’m just waiting for someone to just embrace some reality-based explanation.
    Personally, I think Rex's Rebels explanation is fine. The vision in their helmets sucks. Some adjust better than others.

So two of Mon Mothma's unwelcome dinner guests are known characters-Ars Dangor is the name of one of the Emperor's entourage in ROTJ (although it's unclear which one, although he's generally agreed to be the one with the biggest hat). Sly Moore is the creepy bald woman next to Palpatine in AOTC and ROTS. She also appear in a few issues of the Vader comic recently.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I wish I was enjoying this more. It's not a bad science fiction drama, albeit a very slow one, but aside for some of the iconography, very little of it feels very much like Star Wars to me. But yeah, I did feel much the same way about Rogue One. Maybe it's just because I always relate Star Wars to the Jedi so a Star Wars property without at least some reference to the Force feels off to me, but mostly it's just because, well, it just ain't much fun. Honestly, it almost feels like what would happen if you were to make a whole show based entirely around the politics in the prequels - albeit much, much better written and acted. Like Rogue One, I'm really not feeling the characters, at least so far, and the serious lack of humour is a huge problem for me - what's the deal with filmmakers constantly assuming that the way to make something more "adult" or "mature" is to make it more self-serious and, well, dull? Like, really, where the hell is the personality here?

. And again, we're running into some serious prequalitis here where we already know where this is going and where its main character will end up so add all this to the boring plot and so far, pretty unmemorable characters and I'm just finding it exceptionally difficult to care about any of it.

At the same time, I do think exploring different sides of the Star Wars universe makes sense, especially if they are to make a whole franchise out of it beyond the main films. But some level of tonal consistency with the "space adventure" origins of the original films is, I think, needed to make it work. Those old X-Wing books would probably be a good template for what to do with characters and stories that aren't related to the Skywalker series, not just because they knew when to dip back into more familiar territory without overdoing it, but because they were still, fundamentally, fun Star Wars stories.

I'll stick with this because it has some good actors and decent potential but so far, the seemingly endless love that this series has gotten just baffles the hell out of me. I mean, yeah, it's better than the Book of Boba Fett, but at this point, what isn't?
    I think people appreciate the more grounded, real, feel of the show compared to the other Star Wars stuff and the level of detail that goes into the setting, characters, and the foreshadowing to Rogue One, and the direction is quite strong.

I also don't think it's wrong for a series to go for more of a serious vibe or take on a franchise. As long as it's not too egregiously.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Personally, I think Rex's Rebels explanation is fine. The vision in their helmets sucks. Some adjust better than others.
    Take a shot every time a Filoni show makes fun of how Storm Troopers can't shoot .

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I think people appreciate the more grounded, real, feel of the show compared to the other Star Wars stuff and the level of detail that goes into the setting, characters, and the foreshadowing to Rogue One, and the direction is quite strong.

I also don't think it's wrong for a series to go for more of a serious vibe or take on a franchise. As long as it's not too egregiously.
    I absolutely agree... at least in theory. I think my problem is that there is a limit to just how far you can push Star Wars in that direction before you start losing what makes Star Wars, Star Wars.

I, for one, absolutely loved The Last Jedi precisely because it did push Star Wars in interesting directions while still, on the whole, feeling very much like Star Wars. I didn't love every story or character choice (though much of that came from JJ Abrams' starting point for the sequels of basically resetting the whole saga to the beginning of the original film) but it was a more serious, more daring, more thematically complex take on Star Wars that still maintained the fun, humour, charm and feel of classic Star Wars. Rogue One and Andor just don't quite manage that and they certainly don't have characters anywhere near as interesting as Kylo Ren or as likable as Rei or Poe.

And yes, I realize I'm in the minority for preferring Last Jedi to Rogue One, but there you go.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Take a shot every time a Filoni show makes fun of how Storm Troopers can't shoot .
    Take another any time their "armor" completely fails to protect them from anything. (I mean, if you can still be knocked unconscious from being punched in the helmet, that helmet isn't doing anything)

I want a Storm Troopers episode where we show that their morale is SO horrible, that they just don't care. That's why they don't really shoot anyone and they don't really care if they die. They're all just miserable.