View Poll Results: Who would you like to see has Hawkman's love interest?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kendra Saunders (Hawkgirl)

13 12.26%
  • Shayera Thal (Hawkwoman)

57 53.77%
  • Madame Xanadu

4 3.77%
  • Another superhero entirely

5 4.72%
  • An existing supporting character

0 0%
  • A new supporting character

1 0.94%
  • Hawkman doesn't need a love interest. His mace is already more than enough for him.

8 7.55%
  • Dick Grayson (Plot twist!)

18 16.98%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Where is the original Golden age Shiera Sanders (Hall).
    I have a dim memory of Shiera taking over Kendra's body after Kendra committed suicide. Or was it the other way 'round? And what happened afterwards?

I wish DC had established from the start of the Silver Age that the Thanagarian Hawks were completely different persons from the Golden Age pair, as they did for the Green Lanterns and the Flashes. IMHO it was a mistake to give Katar and Shayera names that were too similar to Carter and Shiera to make them different people, but not similar enough to make them the same. Too late now for a name change, but please at least stop trying to conflate them.
    Last edited by Anodyne; 02-02-2021 at 10:27 PM.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    . . . I wish DC had established from the start of the Silver Age that the Thanagarian Hawks were completely different persons from the Golden Age pair, as they did for the Green Lanterns and the Flashes...
    Um, they did.

Back then, there was Earth-2 and Earth-1. The Golden Age Hawkman and Hawkgirl were on Earth-2 and had their origins tied to ancient Egypt.

The Silver Age Hawkman and Hawkgirl were originally from Thanagar before coming to Earth. Their names on Thanagar were Katar Hol and Shayera Hol, but those became "Carter Hall" and "Shiera Hall" to blend in with Earth humans.

. . . IMHO it was a mistake to give Katar and Shayera names that were too similar to Carter and Shiera to make them different people, but not similar enough to make them the same. Too late now for a name change, but please at least stop trying to conflate them.
    Part of the blending was because DC screwed up royally when they tried to incorporate the 1989 series Hawkworld into the regular DC universe. Instead of letting it be a re-imagining for the origins of Silver Age versions of Hawkman and Hawkwoman from Thanagar set in their past, they had it take place in the (then) "present-time". But this, however, ignored that their had been plenty of references to / stories of the original Katar and Shayera that had already occurred in the post-CoIE / pre-Hawkworld comic books prior to 1989. That's when DC made things even more screwy by trying to retroactively substitute the Golden Age Hawks in place of the Silver-/Bronze-Age Hawks in those stories. (It didn't work out very well when all was said and done.)

Astonishing Member

I picked Shayera, and was pleasantly surprised to see its the winning option!

Honestly, at this point, the question is kinda academic as all the various Hawkgirls/Hawkwomen are all meant to be the same person, more or less.

That said, if we could only have one of each at a time...I kinda prefer my Hawkgirl Thanagarian and my Hawkman as the reincarnated Egyptian prince so...

I'm open to them being with other people, especially in a scenario where the other one isn't around. But ultimately, in a story/universe where they both exist and frequently interact, it's difficult to come up with an argument not to get them together.

Catwoman or Black Canary

Exclamation

I have a dim memory of Shiera taking over Kendra's body after Kendra committed suicide. Or was it the other way 'round? And what happened afterwards?

I wish DC had established from the start of the Silver Age that the Thanagarian Hawks were completely different persons from the Golden Age pair, as they did for the Green Lanterns and the Flashes. IMHO it was a mistake to give Katar and Shayera names that were too similar to Carter and Shiera to make them different people, but not similar enough to make them the same. Too late now for a name change, but please at least stop trying to conflate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Um, they did.

Back then, there was Earth-2 and Earth-1. The Golden Age Hawkman and Hawkgirl were on Earth-2 and had their origins tied to ancient Egypt.

The Silver Age Hawkman and Hawkgirl were originally from Thanagar before coming to Earth. Their names on Thanagar were Katar Hol and Shayera Hol, but those became "Carter Hall" and "Shiera Hall" to blend in with Earth humans
    The two Hawk couples may have co-existed, but did they ever meet? Did they ever team up in the Hawkman title, or in an annual JLA/JSA story? Or even acknowledge each other's existence? If they never appeared together pre-COIA, they might as well have been the same person. I want two Hawkmen and two Hawkwomen, one pair reincarnated Egyptians and the other Thanagarians. And let each pair be a loving couple. Kendra can be Golden-Age Shiera's niece or grand-niece.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Astonishing Member

The two Hawk couples may have co-existed, but did they ever meet? Did they ever team up in the Hawkman title, or in an annual JLA/JSA story? Or even acknowledge each other's existence? If they never appeared together pre-COIA, they might as well have been the same person. I want two Hawkmen and two Hawkwomen, one pair reincarnated Egyptians and the other Thanagarians. And let each pair be a loving couple. Kendra can be Golden-Age Shiera's niece or grand-niece.
    Yeah, I believe they met...at least the two Hawkmen did during the Pre-COIE JLA/JSA team-ups. Quiet frequently in fact!

During Geoff John's Hawkman run, the Thanagarian Shayera Hol made an appearance and teamed up with Carter and Kendra.

Doesn't Thanagarian Shayera from the New 52 somehow co-exist with Kendra right now?

All this makes me wonder...is it possible that Katar and Shayera were 'originally' separate entities and all the continuity reboots and merger of earths made them into incarnations of Carter and Kendra?

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    . . . All this makes me wonder...is it possible that Katar and Shayera were 'originally' separate entities and all the continuity reboots and merger of earths made them into incarnations of Carter and Kendra?
    Short answer:
    YES.

And the real cause of ALL this was when they decided back in 1989, after Tim Truman's Hawkworld three-issue Prestige-format series, to initially IGNORE all the post-CoIE Hawkman and Hawkwoman stories with Katar and Shayera, but then tried to use the Golden Age Hawks to cover for the Silver Age Hawks in past references that really couldn't be ignored.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

His loyal and trusted mace

Seriously though I'd go with Sheyara.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Short answer:
    YES.

And the real cause of ALL this was when they decided back in 1989, after Tim Truman's Hawkworld three-issue Prestige-format series, to initially IGNORE all the post-CoIE Hawkman and Hawkwoman stories with Katar and Shayera, but then tried to use the Golden Age Hawks to cover for the Silver Age Hawks in past references that really couldn't be ignored.
    Boy. If only they'd kept it even that simple.

That's when DC made things even more screwy by trying to retroactively substitute the Golden Age Hawks in place of the Silver-/Bronze-Age Hawks in those stories. (It didn't work out very well when all was said and done.)
    Definitely. Hawkworld wasn't part of COIE, of course, and I know you know that. But the cumulative effect of the changes of that era threw several Hawkcharacters under the bus. I'm a silver-age Hawks fan, myself, and prefer them as separate characters (in separate continuity) than their golden age counterparts. The reincarated-across-time-and-space-with-overlaps makes logical sense (at least more than they'd had in a long while) as I understand it, but is entirely unsatisfying to me.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

This is the correct answer.

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

these are some interesting poll options

I'm not sure Hawkman can handle Dick, so I'd lean Kendra or Shayera
    The J-man

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    these are some interesting poll options

I'm not sure Hawkman can handle Dick, so I'd lean Kendra or Shayera
    Heheh I see what you did there...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

NOTE: This thread was begun back in late April 2019.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

With 89 people having voted, results at present are:
    * Shayera Thal (Hawkwoman) = 45 votes
    * Dick Grayson = 16 votes
    * Kendra Saunders (Hawkgirl) = 12 votes

All other options have fewer than 10 votes.

wait can I change my vote. I don't even remember thsi thread
    The J-man