View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1365 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 36586512651315135513611362136313641365136613671368136913751415 ... LastLast
Results 20,461 to 20,475 of 21667
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Normally I would highly recommend it, but I've noticed many aren't a fan of the series. I only read the first arc oft he newer JLD and wasn't a fan so I haven't continued it, so it's difficult to compare it to for you.

I really enjoyed it, I think it starts off a little too grim-dark in my opinion and it results in it being a tad too confusing for me. When Jeff Lemire takes over the series felt very fun, and whimsical but still interesting. I loved the new team roster. I think the absolute biggest drag to this series is the Blight Crossover-which the idea was interesting, but simply went on Way too long. I believe the Blight run and all the crossover issues are collected in the Omni. It was extremely long crossover with not enough payoff.

JM Dematteis finished the run out, and I thought it was excellent. Zatanna is the leader and it balances out the horror and creepiness Peter Milligan (he did the first few issues) but still had that charming team book Lemire had.
    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I'm probably in the minority, but I really loved Peter Milligan's opening run. While it did feel a bit slow in parts, it re-reads quite well. It also feels like a bit of a backdoor epilogue to his Shade, The Changing Man from the 90's, but as someone who loved that book I was fine with it. Like Vilynne said, Lemire's run is good, but much of it is bogged down by the "Forever Evil: Blight" and "Trinity War" crossovers. And then you have DeMatteis (who can do no wrong!) finish it off strong. Overall, I do recommend the series as a whole.

That said, I'm skipping the omnibus because it's just too goddamn big! I don't know what DC has been thinking cranking out these 1,800+ page books. smh...
    Hmmm... I'm still on the fence, I'd say. For two reasons: not a fan of reading such a huge book, and 2 writers (Milligan, JMD) I'm ambivalent towards. I'll try to see if the local library has volume 1 or if I can get that cheap used on Amazon just to get a taste of the overall series.

Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Hmmm... I'm still on the fence, I'd say. For two reasons: not a fan of reading such a huge book, and 2 writers (Milligan, JMD) I'm ambivalent towards. I'll try to see if the local library has volume 1 or if I can get that cheap used on Amazon just to get a taste of the overall series.

Thanks for the input.
    The Lemire run is supposed to be a good jumping point if you just want to start there. I believe it's Volume 2 and largely skips Milligans issues.

Incredible Member

Rod Keith over on the MMW board has posted pics of the Justice League Bronze Age Omnibus 3

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marv....html#p1352712

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marv....html#p1352713

From the back cover it collects "JLA #147-#182, Super Team Family #11-#14, DC Special #27, DC Special Series #6, Secret Society of Supervillains #15, DC Comics Presents #17 & 36 Pages from Amazing World of DC Comics #14"
    Last edited by JAG2045; 06-25-2021 at 04:16 PM.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Rod Keith over on the MMW board has posted pics of the Justice League Bronze Age Omnibus 3

From the back cover it collects "JLA #147-#182, Super Team Family #11-#14, DC Special #27, DC Special Series #6, Secret Society of Supervillains #15, DC Comics Presents #17 & 36 Pages from Amazing World of DC Comics #14"
    Looks great. Glad they stuck with the same dust jacket format and not some multi-coloured new format. Also good to see all that additional material/issues. Looking forward to receiving it as mine was pre-ordered.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Looks great. Glad they stuck with the same dust jacket format and not some multi-coloured new format. Also good to see all that additional material/issues. Looking forward to receiving it as mine was pre-ordered.
    I wonder if this means they have JLA Bronze Age Omnibus 4 planned?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I wonder if this means they have JLA Bronze Age Omnibus 4 planned?
    Nothing announced as yet, they would probably need 2 more omnis to get up to the JL: Detroit (#183-#232 and any tie-ins/crossovers/annuals/specials etc)

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Nothing announced as yet, they would probably need 2 more omnis to get up to the JL: Detroit (#183-#232 and any tie-ins/crossovers/annuals/specials etc)
    I was thinking they would need at least one more to wrap up Dick Dillin’s run.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OmnibusColl...tm_name=iossmf
    The Uncanny Omar's relationship with DC Comics versus Marvel Comics for upcoming books

Many of us here undoubtedly get our information about upcoming releases from The Uncanny Omar, aka [Near Mint Condition](https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUX...zQaKJKBaqzuNdg). As many of you know, he does quite a few videos about upcoming Marvel collections. He hardly does any for DC, though.

The Brave and the Boys podcast recently [interviewed](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0opx8DPFZY) The Uncanny Omar and the topic came up. Here's what he had to say (transcribed from the video) from [22:59](https://youtu.be/M0opx8DPFZY?t=1378) to 31:25:

>**Omar**: The guy that used to run it, Hank, he contacted me... really nice guy, really good friends with Rob Leifeld and the Image guys, that's where he got his start. [...] He was like their David Gabriel. But the way that DC does things [and] the way that Marvel does things is night and day. It's not about me being a Marvel fanboy, it's just... that's a fair statement to make. My phone calls with everyone there were a nightmare. It was four months of somebody saying "you need to talk to so and so." This is after Hank said "this is your guy." He'd put me in touch with somebody. I'll leave names out to protect the innocent, but none of these people work there anymore. So I would call so and so and we'd have a conversation, I was so excited (and I'll never forget this), I said, "okay, one of the things I love to do is—I get to announce things by Marvel ahead of time. I would love to do that with you all." And he was like "yeah man, that's cool. You can look on Amazon to see what books we have." Like I swear.... my heart broke a lot. If the guy in the collected editions department is telling me to go to Amazon... I kind of stopped asking questions. It was like, I think when most people think I reach out them they're like, "okay, this guy wants free books." And for me that was never the thing, the goal. I wanted an in to make suggestions or to change things. I feel like I have that relationship with Marvel... David is really cool. [...] I'm free to suggest adding books to the mapping of a certain omnibus if I think it adds to the story and they'll discuss it. Whereas with DC, I think for the longest time, I swear this is what happened, so for three months I'd talk to different people—"you need to talk to so and so," "oh this is whatshername, you need to talk to her, she's the one in charge of this"—none of them knew. What they ended up doing was sending me Superman Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 2, which is six years old, and I was like, "is this what they think that I want? I want a free Golden Age omnibus that came out six years ago?" I did an overview of the book and ended up giving it away. But then they started sending me things. But they wouldn't answer questions—which is cool! Getting stuff early was awesome, but the end goal was me having a connection with them and having a voice for the masses.

>**Interviewers**: I think the important thing is that DC needs it the most. As DC omnibuses/collected edition fans, we understand the disrepancy [between DC and Marvel]. It can sometimes feel like DC doesn't have a consistent plan or vision and it can be discouraging.

>**Omar**: [...] I'll never forget Hank reaching out to me. [...] He asked me, he's like, "hey, I just want your honest opinion. We're thinking about doing Starman in compendium format," because they'd just cancelled the Starman omnibus. "What do you think if we gave them two compendiums? If we promise to do it?" I told him "people will buy those, because people want these stories they read 20-30 years ago in the best possible format. That's why your absolute editions sell so well." [..] So two months goes by, they announce the compendium, and then Hank and lots of people lost their jobs at Warner Bros/DC. [...] That department is a mess.

So, this is a paraphrase—there are some gaps that I didn't think were relevant—but I highly recommend watching at least this short snippet if you're curious about this like I was. Especially since I didn't capture everything that was said. It's a neat interview.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Thanks Jordan, that was very helpful.

All-New Member

My girlfriend wants to read Sandman. Is the deluxe edition the best format? Ideally I'd like something where they're readily available so I can get them for her and don't need to worry about them being OOP.

Quote Originally Posted by Faustinooo View Post
    My girlfriend wants to read Sandman. Is the deluxe edition the best format? Ideally I'd like something where they're readily available so I can get them for her and don't need to worry about them being OOP.
    I have the 3 omnibusses. For me that is great. The deluxes aren't completed yet.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Glad to see that it is matching and finally here after a 1+ delay.
    What is the street date on release for this volume?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Faustinooo View Post
    If you want hardcovers the omnibuses are complete and available but obviously they are big and chunky. The deluxe line isn't complete yet but it's Sandman, it's evergreen and I doubt the line will get discontinued.
    Also there is a box set of all the paperbacks.

That's real interesting. I know it's just one person's experience, but I always suspected there's issues with DCs collected editions. It's true they seem to lack vision or Endgames, and so much just gets canceled anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    If you want hardcovers the omnibuses are complete and available but obviously they are big and chunky. The deluxe line isn't complete yet but it's Sandman, it's evergreen and I doubt the line will get discontinued.
    Also there is a box set of all the paperbacks.
    And that box set is like 300 bucks which is absurd.