Page 92 of 93 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293 LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 1392

Incoming featured a double Spider-Man team-up, by Miles's regular creative team. After saving a lorry from going off a bridge, Miles tells Peter he's now a big brother, and they talk about that guy calling out the teen heroes (who Miles had earlier found out about while watching TV with the Champions), who Peter compares to how Jonah was originally.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Incoming featured a double Spider-Man team-up, by Miles's regular creative team. After saving a lorry from going off a bridge, Miles tells Peter he's now a big brother, and they talk about that guy calling out the teen heroes (who Miles had earlier found out about while watching TV with the Champions), who Peter compares to how Jonah was originally.
    Ahmed seems to like showing Peter and Miles together.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's interesting that the Miles part was included, since everything else in Incoming were discussing pretty major things. Maybe the Ultimatum story line will be something major for Miles because it seems kinda odd to have two mentions of Outlawed (especially since it was such a minor mention) when he could have just appeared with the rest of the Champions. Though to be honest Miles' story felt a little tagged on the more I think about it.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ahmed seems to like showing Peter and Miles together.
    I'd say a good amount. Bendis use of Peter was kinda all over the place. Also Ahmed is very conservative with using other Marvel heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    I'd say a good amount. Bendis use of Peter was kinda all over the place. Also Ahmed is very conservative with using other Marvel heroes
    Saladin has said in interviews that he is interested in bouncing Miles off other Marvel heroes as the series goes on. We already got a taste of that with the Captain America team-up in issue #3. I do like the pacing of Saladin's run so far, and he's doing a great job in the lore building for Miles' personal corner of the MU.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    Saladin has said in interviews that he is interested in bouncing Miles off other Marvel heroes as the series goes on. We already got a taste of that with the Captain America team-up in issue #3. I do like the pacing of Saladin's run so far, and he's doing a great job in the lore building for Miles' personal corner of the MU.
    Some issues are better than others. But Saladin has done a nice job with pacing. Intro some new villains and supporting cast. Made use of old ones Bendis didn't care about (Judge anyone?). And still kept the focus on Miles. Only negative that some characters like Ganke and Bombshell aren't getting much use. And he might have rushed the baby sub-plot. But ultimately he has done some good stuff Miles with just one year.

I'm usually on the more conservative side when it comes to Spider-Man and team-ups, but so far I think Ahmed is doing a decent job of it.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

So far I'd probably give the series a B. I think Saladin has done a solid job actually fleshing out Miles supporting cast. I think by comparison, Bendis was way to overly reliant on just Ganke and Jefferson. I also like that Miles is actually displaying more fighting abilities rather than fights ending with the venom sting over and over.

One area of improvement is I would like to see some longer arcs playout and some more original villains for Miles. Outside of The Snatcher and the Ice Pharoh (who were both basically one-shotters) all we've really gotten is Ultimatum.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Now that you mention it the arcs have been rather short. Has anything lasted more than two issues, everything ends so quickly I barely remember them happening.

Incredible Member

Well there was also the Assessor and Quantum, and im sure we haven't seen the last of them.

I appreciate smaller arcs if only because I'm a firm believer not every arc needs to be written to fit a trade paperback.

For me the run thus far has been fairly mediocre. I actually prefer the shorter arcs. I just don't actually care much for the developments in them. It was only the recent arc that I feel had the worst pacing of the all, with a lot of padding and exposition, an overly long fight scene between Miles and Aaron, and a bunch a villains that we didn't need to run into.

I used to find Ganke annoying in Bendis's run, but not having him really be around for so long has made me miss him. I'm glad to finally see Judge get attention, but neither him or the new characters really receive any focus or fleshed out relationships with Miles. Dutcher had a good first issue, but Shawn is just a bland Flash clone right now, Barbara is a blank slate, Bombshell is still kind of ruined for me, and Starling is just a Felicia clone.

My biggest problem by far is Miles's voice. Bendis may write all of his characters pretty samey, but I'd rather go back to the timid and insecure kid that used Jewish euphemisms than the stereotypical ghetto kid that Ahmed's writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Modamy View Post
    My biggest problem by far is Miles's voice. Bendis may write all of his characters pretty samey, but I'd rather go back to the timid and insecure kid that used Jewish euphemisms than the stereotypical ghetto kid that Ahmed's writing.
    It makes no sense for a half black/half puerto rican kid from Brooklyn to sound like a middle ageed Jewish man though.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    It makes no sense for a half black/half puerto rican kid from Brooklyn to sound like a middle ageed Jewish man though.
    So it's completely fine for a character who previously has never used slang, was obviously uncomfortable with topics of race, and raised in a family that didn't want him to have anything to do with the worse elements of his environment is now characterized like the stereotypical kid in the ghetto. It just goes against how he was characterized the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by Modamy View Post
    So it's completely fine for a character who previously has never used slang, was obviously uncomfortable with topics of race, and raised in a family that didn't want him to have anything to do with the worse elements of his environment is now characterized like the stereotypical kid in the ghetto. It just goes against how he was characterized the entire time.
    Bendis simply wrote that Miles didn't want to be known as the "Black Spider-Man" and then never really followed up on that although he claimed he would in an interview. Nowhere did it say he was uncomfortable with his race. And no, speaking ocassional spanish slang doesn't make Miles "ghetto."