Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default What Were The Star Wars stories That Were Retconned Before Disney?

Currently Lucasfilm/Disney divides the Star Wars mythos into two universes: Canon (the movies, The Clone Wars, and everything after 2014) and Legends (What used to be known as the Expanded Universe)

But what about the stories that don't fit either of the two camps? The original Marvel Comics had plenty of elements that didn't the narrative of later movies like the origin of Darth Vader and Jabba the Hutt's appearance. The Clone Wars also strayed from the Expanded Universe such as the fates of (Spoilers) Adi Gallia and Stass Allie

Splinter of the Mind's Eye was the first post movie novel released, but it didn't fit the later continuity of the expanded universe (nor does it fit the current one). It's been a looong time since I read it, but I seem to remember it playing up the romantic tension between Luke and Leia and had Luke facing off against Vader again well before the events of Empire. Not sure the Brian Daley Han Solo trilogy fit with the later expanded universe stuff or not, or the L. Neil Smith Lando trilogy, but those were the Star Wars novels I was reading as a Star Wars fan in the 80s well before any kind of organized expanded universe was established, and the stuff in those really didn't jibe well with the stuff that started coming out in the 90s beginning with Zahn's Thrawn trilogy. They were fun though, and had a more anything can happen feel like the Marvel Comics. And since we were starving for more Star Wars stuff, we ate it all up.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Boba Fett and the history of the Mandalorians is probably the biggest I can think of, but MRP has it on the nose about those early years being wild times with little continuity.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Splinter of the Mind's Eye was the first post movie novel released, but it didn't fit the later continuity of the expanded universe (nor does it fit the current one). It's been a looong time since I read it, but I seem to remember it playing up the romantic tension between Luke and Leia and had Luke facing off against Vader again well before the events of Empire. Not sure the Brian Daley Han Solo trilogy fit with the later expanded universe stuff or not, or the L. Neil Smith Lando trilogy, but those were the Star Wars novels I was reading as a Star Wars fan in the 80s well before any kind of organized expanded universe was established, and the stuff in those really didn't jibe well with the stuff that started coming out in the 90s beginning with Zahn's Thrawn trilogy. They were fun though, and had a more anything can happen feel like the Marvel Comics. And since we were starving for more Star Wars stuff, we ate it all up.

-M
    The Han and Lando novels were worked into the post 90s stuff a great deal with A.C Crispin's novels which kind of took place in-between, and also incorporated the Dark Empire stories as well..
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Also the Death Star origins were also a bit of a mess, even before AOTC gave it's own origin story to things. Pretty much every expanded universe thing, especially the games, had their own take on the origins and how the plans were stolen-Dark Forces being the best remembered, but even before that the X-wing games had an alternate explanation.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Also the Death Star origins were also a bit of a mess, even before AOTC gave it's own origin story to things. Pretty much every expanded universe thing, especially the games, had their own take on the origins and how the plans were stolen-Dark Forces being the best remembered, but even before that the X-wing games had an alternate explanation.
    I remember thinking it was hilariously appropriate that the first spin-off of the Disney era would be a finalized and cemented version of that story; every one and their sister had an idea for the plans being seized.

One specific case of retcons and continuity hijinks I remember was the sheer chaos associated with the Mandalorians and Boba Fett:

- Marvel first covered them with Fenn Shysa and his Protectors, establishing a rough Clone Wars story that also involved Boba Fett as their former leader.
    - Then the Bantam era saw them largely ignored, and a concerted effort to portray Boba as just a dude in the armor with a different background... but Fenn Shysa slipped quietly back into continuity through sourcebooks, oblique references and such. Ancient Mandalorians appeared in the Tales of the Jedi series but were separated from any modern events.
    - Then during the PT era, Lucas introduced Jango and made Boba his clone and that excellent Bounty Hunter game came out with its own tie-in comic, heavily featuring the Mandalorians and roughly trying to tie one of Boba's old Bantam-era origins to Jango's childhood as an adopted Mandalorian.
    - Then Knights of the Old Republic was released, heavily featured the Mandalorians and establishing the Fett family as having thousands of years of history as Mandos.
    - Then Abel G. Pena combined every reference he could into a fairly clean and popular "History of the Mandalorians"; he fully integrated Marvel's old stuff with Bantam era continuity for Boba alongside the PT-era information and even stuff from the post-OT timeline, ending with Boba as Mandalore.
    - Then Karen Traviss started writing A LOT of Mandalorian stuff with the Republic Commando series, but started retconning stuff as well to reflect her personal tastes...
    - ...Just in time for Lucas to have TCW introduce a completely different type of Mandalorian culture and have someone state Jango wasn't a Mando.

It was CRAZY.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I think the very first Star Wars annual has kind of a funny thing: That the planet involved was visited by Obi-Wan and his two apprentices, Luke's father *and* Darth Vader.

Traviss's novels also revealed that the Clones were trained by Mandalorians and also adopted Mandalorian culture-which was also retconned by TCW. Unless you count the "eyes" on some Clone Trooper helmets (Rex, mostly).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-05-2022 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    But what about the stories that don't fit either of the two camps? The original Marvel Comics had plenty of elements that didn't the narrative of later movies like the origin of Darth Vader and Jabba the Hutt's appearance. The Clone Wars also strayed from the Expanded Universe such as the fates of (Spoilers) Adi Gallia and Stass Allie
    Pre-Disney, basically everything counted and mistakes were retconned as best as possible (they went to some pretty bizarre lengths to avoid throwing anything out). In the case of the CGI Clone Wars, they overwrote those specific elements from Legends stuff, but the rest was still assumed to have happened (story counts, but ignore that scene on page 11, etc.).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Yeah, the Clone Wars was pretty much the point big chunks of stuff got overwritten, especially since there was already a ton of Clone Wars novels/comics/video games and a previous animated series to boot. All with no sign whatsoever of Ashoka, as well as several other changes-alternate deaths of Jedi Knights, the timeline of Anakin's knighthood, Asajj Ventress's story, the aforementioned Mandolorian stuff etc.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    - ...Just in time for Lucas to have TCW introduce a completely different type of Mandalorian culture and have someone state Jango wasn't a Mando.

It was CRAZY.
    Lucas has been saying Boba wasn't what he appeared to be since ESB. Both the novel for Empire Strikes Back and the Bantha Tracks profile for Boba Fett both states that he only wears the armor with nothing about him being an actual Mandalorian (or Imperial Shocktrooper as the armor was thought to belong to). Jango not being a Mandalorian is an extension of that. I think it's very clear, Lucas envisioned Jango/Boba also like with Cad Bain in terms of the Westerns he grew up with Jango/Boba being a gun for hire who masquerades and wears a Union/Confederate uniform.

^Mandalorian sort of retconned that slightly (But with enough of a loophole that sort of still makes sense with what Clone Wars said, and of course some Mandalorians don't view foundlings or clones as true Mandalorians as we see), established that Jango was a foundling like Din. In dialogue, and also if you translate the hologram code. Not only that, it brings Jaster Mereel back into canon too!
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-19-2022 at 06:53 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Lucas has been saying Boba wasn't what he appeared to be since ESB. Both the novel for Empire Strikes Back and the Bantha Tracks profile for Boba Fett both states that he only wears the armor with nothing about him being an actual Mandalorian (or Imperial Shocktrooper as the armor was thought to belong to). Jango not being a Mandalorian is an extension of that. I think it's very clear, Lucas envisioned Jango/Boba also like with Cad Bain in terms of the Westerns he grew up with Jango/Boba being a gun for hire who masquerades and wears a Union/Confederate uniform.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    ^Mandalorian sort of retconned that slightly (But with enough of a loophole that sort of still makes sense with what Clone Wars said, and of course some Mandalorians don't view foundlings or clones as true Mandalorians as we see), established that Jango was a foundling like Din. In dialogue, and also if you translate the hologram code. Not only that, it brings Jaster Mereel back into canon too!
    Yeah, I think the thing was that while Lucas had that idea of the Fetts always being mysterious gunslingers who just happened to have cool armor… but by the time he finally got around to doing anything with the Mandalorians in TCW, Jango had a pretty successful and popular background with a great game (Bounty Hunter) and a great comic (Open Seasons) fleshing them out - and Open Season was cool enough that Filoni got to move Death Watch over onto TCW even when Lucas tried to “set the record straight” with regards to Jango.

And I’ll bet it was Filoni rather than Lucas, because of how he’s softly reintroduced the rough background of Jango in the modern continuity.

For the record, I think that Lucas was probably better for Boba’s backstory and made an improvement to the Mandalorians in the end, since by the time of TCW Karen Traviss was busily overwriting other stuff into a largely less interesting and more cliché background for them all to suit her fancy - Filoni merging all of them into a larger, more polycultural variation on them.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Was the original 70's/80's Marvel series considered canon in the old EU? I know some elements were reintroduced like Lumiya .

Sort of...it sort of generally worked it's way back in slowly during the 90s but went full speed ahead in the 00's, especially since the old comics were starting to get more and more reprints.

Before that I think the preferred classic Star Wars comics considered canon were the newspaper strips that took place between ANH and ESB but were written after ESB, and therefore had fewer continuity errors, and also answered some stuff about ESB like how Vader got a new Destroyer, what happened on Ord Mantell, how and why the Rebels fled Yavin and found Hoth etc.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-17-2022 at 11:11 AM.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I remember Dark Horse doing a comic that was definitely not canon that has Tarkin on the Death Star order Boba Fett to capture Han Solo but Vader doesn't agree so goes after Boba and they fight in the Catania with Han having to escape and Boba event fights Vader with a lightsaber he nicked off a Jedi. So glorious OTT just presumably to have a Vader vs Boba fight in the comics (though I recall some Boba Fett mini series where he's trying to capture a person's living head and Vader fights him there too).