Page 42 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Why is it lazy?

BANNED

I believe it’s lazy because instead of coming up with your own ideas, stories and concepts your taking from a character who is already established, to look and act a certain way and changing them to appeal to a crowd. I don’t necessarily disagree with doing this in some regards like Hawkman who I’m not really invested into as a character but that’s because I’m honestly never really dove into the character throughout the years like I have let’s say Aquaman. So it doesn’t really hurt me if they change Hawkman to any ethnic background, I don’t have an ideal depiction of the character, and I’m honestly excited to see what they do with Aldis Hodge because of that. That being said I could understand if people who’ve followed the character since the Silver Age or collected his stories from Golden Age till now aren’t fond of the race change on screen because they’re use to the way the character has been presented over the years and now those stories are going to be taken and used to present for the first time a character who hasn’t appeared on the big screen in a way he’s not depicted from the stories it’s being drawn from. Which is as a black man.

I understand why Wally fans were upset upon the introduction of the new Wally West. Or why the idea of possibly making Clark Kent black would bother people. I understand why Disney/Marvel, Warner/DC would do some of the decisions they do at the same time because it’s easy in my opinion. You have a character with all these stories that would be well adapted to film and sometimes with a sizeable fanbase that you hope rolls over into whatever change is made. Sometimes in Hawkman’s situation I’d say the fanbase isn’t big enough to really cause a outcry about a change so its not a decision that’s going to hurt WB but you have to wonder there’s all these characters that fit into these diverse backgrounds that WB/Disney could be pushing instead of changing existing characters.

We’ve derailed what’s suppose to be a Captain Marvel appreciation thread about my opinion on forced diversity. If you really have an issue with what I’ve stated or want to have a discussion about it I don’t think this is the place for it. Respectfully.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    You dug through the thread to find that? I don’t see an issue with what I typed. What characters of diverse origin have been changed modern day? We have characters like Wally West where they were initially turned black, characters like Alan Scott and Jackson Hyde that got their sexual preference changed so DC could claim look we are diversifying are brand. We have characters like Captain Marvel where they’re being pushed or talked about turning gay.

There’s nothing wrong with promoting characters of diverse backgrounds, race, religion, sexual orientation but when you’re changing established characters to promote diversity I’d argue that’s forcing it and that’s what I mean about forced diversity. My issue which I already highlighted which you seemed to have intentionally skimmed over for whatever purpose was the anger towards splitting Captain Marvel/War Machine up was because it was an interracial relationship. That’s not being invested in the characters or even wanting what’s best for the titular character. The user was complaining because she split up from a black man and his fear seemed to be that the character would dump said black man and not get with another. I think that’s a ridiculous complaint especially since the character has never been stated to only be attracted to black men and has dated men of different ethnic backgrounds in the past.

I could care less what the color of skin is on who Carol dates my issue is I’d rather she establish love interest in her mythos and be in relationships stories come out of and are beneficial to her as a character. This whole thing about force whiteness and your post in general is a joke to me.
    Both can be true, I can worry about the skin color and think it is the best romance for Carol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Both can be true, I can worry about the skin color and think it is the best romance for Carol
    Not saying you can’t, I don’t think it should matter the race of the person she dates since she’s never been established to have a preference to a certain race. That’s my issue with being bothered about her being with a white man after a black man. It comes off as a fear of thinking it’s some type of hate towards black people or something. I’d also question why it would be the best romance for her when nothing exactly in my opinion has come out of it since the relationship started several years back.

That’s no disrespect to Rhodey, The relationship or even any shippers of it. It’s just my observation since the relationship has started all the way back to KSD’s run.

Ultimate Member

I believe it’s lazy because instead of coming up with your own ideas, stories and concepts your taking from a character who is already established, to look and act a certain way and changing them to appeal to a crowd. I don’t necessarily disagree with doing this in some regards like Hawkman who I’m not really invested into as a character but that’s because I’m honestly never really dove into the character throughout the years like I have let’s say Aquaman. So it doesn’t really hurt me if they change Hawkman to any ethnic background, I don’t have an ideal depiction of the character, and I’m honestly excited to see what they do with Aldis Hodge because of that. That being said I could understand if people who’ve followed the character since the Silver Age or collected his stories from Golden Age till now aren’t fond of the race change on screen because they’re use to the way the character has been presented over the years and now those stories are going to be taken and used to present for the first time a character who hasn’t appeared on the big screen in a way he’s not depicted from the stories it’s being drawn from. Which is as a black man.

I understand why Wally fans were upset upon the introduction of the new Wally West. Or why the idea of possibly making Clark Kent black would bother people. I understand why Disney/Marvel, Warner/DC would do some of the decisions they do at the same time because it’s easy in my opinion. You have a character with all these stories that would be well adapted to film and sometimes with a sizeable fanbase that you hope rolls over into whatever change is made. Sometimes in Hawkman’s situation I’d say the fanbase isn’t big enough to really cause a outcry about a change so its not a decision that’s going to hurt WB but you have to wonder there’s all these characters that fit into these diverse backgrounds that WB/Disney could be pushing instead of changing existing characters.

We’ve derailed what’s suppose to be a Captain Marvel appreciation thread about my opinion on forced diversity. If you really have an issue with what I’ve stated or want to have a discussion about it I don’t think this is the place for it. Respectfully.
    No problem. We should get back on track.

BANNED

And I agree she didn’t have to hookup with Strange for any of this to happen. But it made headlines so I think it was a smart move on Thompson’s part it’s getting people talking, and it’s a character who generates interest to begin with. Again it’s obviously temporary, which I wouldn’t want it to be something long term especially if nothing is done with it.
    Generating headlines isn't always good, honestly. If you're making bad decisions with the writing people are only going to read the headlines instead of the comic feeling like its only being done for shock value

BANNED

I don’t know about the mass amount of readers who read Thompson’s Captain Marvel book but she seems to have gotten more praise for the decision than hate on Twitter so there’s that. As far as I’m aware the people who read the book and make YouTube videos seem to enjoy it so there’s also that which even then could be a small percentage but I think writers should tell whatever story they want to tell and yeah we should be able to criticize those stories if it’s about a character we’re invested in but I think we should also be patient and see where it goes before doing so as well. Instead of hating a decision at the start of it without seeing where it goes. That’s just my opinion.

BANNED

I don’t know about the mass amount of readers who read Thompson’s Captain Marvel book but she seems to have gotten more praise for the decision than hate on Twitter so there’s that. As far as I’m aware the people who read the book and make YouTube videos seem to enjoy it so there’s also that which even then could be a small percentage but I think writers should tell whatever story they want to tell and yeah we should be able to criticize those stories if it’s about a character we’re invested in but I think we should also be patient and see where it goes before doing so as well. Instead of hating a decision at the start of it without seeing where it goes. That’s just my opinion.
    I know plenty people, fans of carol, and I mean proper fans, who were facepalming over the choice.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    I know plenty people, fans of carol, and I mean proper fans, who were facepalming over the choice.
    What makes someone a proper fan? No disrespect but that term right there could be varied.

And are you confident enough to really make the claim that the group of people honestly represents the mass amount of people that are picking up the book each month? Given I believe you’ve stated yourself multiple times in the thread you don’t read or possibly rather you don’t enjoy Thompson’s run what’s the qualifications for a true fan?

Incredible Member AndersonHoran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think so? I mean, it seems like there's as much of a potential for that happening as any kind of story for Carol at this point.
    I liked Star and Lauri-ell(i love her so i see a lot of potentital there) arcs but the last one felt like a filler to me, and now this thing with Dr Strange feels unnecessary, when she could be delivering some cosmic stories which is Carol's best ground.

Incredible Member AndersonHoran's Avatar

Oh i can't wait for the set pics!!!!

BANNED

What makes someone a proper fan? No disrespect but that term right there could be varied.

And are you confident enough to really make the claim that the group of people honestly represents the mass amount of people that are picking up the book each month? Given I believe you’ve stated yourself multiple times in the thread you don’t read or possibly rather you don’t enjoy Thompson’s run what’s the qualifications for a true fan?
    what I meant is some people pretending to be fans were hating on it.... but they hate on everything she does forever and dont understand the character

so when I say proper fans, I meant genuine fans who were enjoying kelly's run and enjoy carol in general but were shaken a bit from this particular decision

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    what I meant is some people pretending to be fans were hating on it.... but they hate on everything she does forever and dont understand the character

so when I say proper fans, I meant genuine fans who were enjoying kelly's run and enjoy carol in general but were shaken a bit from this particular decision
    Appreciate the clarification, do you think there’s proper fans on the flip side of it who are intrigued by the move and wanting to see where Thompson takes it?

BANNED

Appreciate the clarification, do you think there’s proper fans on the flip side of it who are intrigued by the move and wanting to see where Thompson takes it?
    Yeah, i talked to a couple of them. But... I don't like the divisiveness... and if i look too close it feels like kind of a mess that isn't going anywhere. I don't like how she broke up with rhodes... I don't like how this went.

Ironically I was enjoying the future arc, because it showed carol in a leadership position where it felt so genuine and right.... but then it ended with THAT

BANNED

Appreciate the clarification, just for the sake of discussion what was your complaint about it?