Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Is this set in its own universe or in the new 52 universe?
    Nah this was different to the New 52 Universe, which did have a couple of wildstorm charactes like Grifter and the Authority show up.

While it was also published under DC, there was no connection to the DCU from what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Nah this was different to the New 52 Universe, which did have a couple of wildstorm charactes like Grifter and the Authority show up.

While it was also published under DC, there was no connection to the DCU from what I remember.
    Sort of a "from The Ground Up..." reboot with slightly retooled versions of existing characters. Absolutely in it's own universe. The "Micheal Cray..." maxi-series centered around Michael being tasked with going after rogue reworkings of some of the "Classic Coke..." Justice League members.

- Far as I recall, Cole wasn't gen-active.
    - The children who could one day become Gen-13 are children(save Sarah Rainmaker...)
    - The Engineer is just in the process of completing her tech.

Past all of that?

If the science fiction angle on superhero comics is your cup of tea, it's probably worth looking into.

To me, it's easily the best thing DC has published in years.

Invincible Member

Did anyone here read The Wild Storm by Ellis from a few years back?

I for loved it (overall) and would want to see it established as a Universe. While I did grow up on the original WS, TWS fits better with my tastes today.

Thought the little nods to the original WS universe and re-inventions were sweet. My major gripe was the treatment of Slayton who was one of my favorite charaters in the original.

What did y'all think?
    I really enjoyed it although I thought the Michael Cray spin off was underwhelming. We were supposed to get a Wildcats spin off but I don't think it ever came out?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I really enjoyed it although I thought the Michael Cray spin off was underwhelming. We were supposed to get a Wildcats spin off but I don't think it ever came out?
    It did not.

Seems like there was apparently an issue(depending on what you believe...) with the artist who was initially set to work on the series. Pretty sure it was declared "Dead For All Intents And Purposes..." before things took that turn.

From what I recall of the solicits that made it into the wild, the "The Wild Storm..." New Gods were going to play into things.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Sort of a "from The Ground Up..." reboot with slightly retooled versions of existing characters. Absolutely in it's own universe. The "Micheal Cray..." maxi-series centered around Michael being tasked with going after rogue reworkings of some of the "Classic Coke..." Justice League members.

- Far as I recall, Cole wasn't gen-active.
    - The children who could one day become Gen-13 are children(save Sarah Rainmaker...)
    - The Engineer is just in the process of completing her tech.
    Think Cole was gen-active though. The scene where they were attacked in the bunker had a moment which looked like Cole redirecting a bomb/rocket with some kind of telekenesis. Need to re-read.
    The set up of the Gen-kids (Gen13) would have made a good storyline for a Vol. 2. Still holding out hope for it tbh.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Yeah that Michael Cray series was a whole load of blah for me.

On WidCats, apparently it's been put on hiatus indefinitely.

I agree with @numberthirty that it was one of the best things put out by DC in "recent" years.

Think Cole was gen-active though. The scene where they were attacked in the bunker had a moment which looked like Cole redirecting a bomb/rocket with some kind of telekenesis. Need to re-read.
    The set up of the Gen-kids (Gen13) would have made a good storyline for a Vol. 2. Still holding out hope for it tbh.
    If you are talking about the rescue from issue three/four where the order is given to demolish that room in the bunker?

It is interesting.

In one panel, we see on of the Razors fire something like a rocket propelled grenade. In the next panel, we see Cole fire off(assuming the casings are each a shot...) about eight rounds. In the next panel, we see the rocket propelled grenade arc straight up into the air. After that arc, it arcs back at the Razors.

What we don't see is if a bullet actually made contact.

That said, we do see Cole make a shot when they enter the room that looked like he hit a thrown grenade(we can't see the Razors...) with one hand while reaching for his mask with the other.

While it seems like they leave it up to the reader, I always assumed that he had actually shot the rocket propelled grenade right out of the air in mid-flight.

Come to think of it, I don't even think it just looks like he it the rocket propelled grenade.

It seems like as it completes it's arc back to the Razor who fired it's helmet, about four pistol rounds hit him in the helmets right before the grenade goes off in his face.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Huge Wildstorm fan here. Loved the early Jim Lee stuff, the original Gen13 and the Warren Ellis corner of the WS universe.

When it comes to more recent comics, I think The Wild Storm is one of the best comics of the last decade, criminally underrated, a masterpiece in how you reinvent a comic universe, concept, character with a wonderful blend of sci-fi and superheroics.

It's just a damn shame the follow-up Wildcats mini will never see the light of day, nor any of the other possible spin-offs originally intended by Ellis (Gen13? The Authority? We'll probably never know, or at least never read them)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    Huge Wildstorm fan here. Loved the early Jim Lee stuff, the original Gen13 and the Warren Ellis corner of the WS universe.

When it comes to more recent comics, I think The Wild Storm is one of the best comics of the last decade, criminally underrated, a masterpiece in how you reinvent a comic universe, concept, character with a wonderful blend of sci-fi and superheroics.

It's just a damn shame the follow-up Wildcats mini will never see the light of day, nor any of the other possible spin-offs originally intended by Ellis (Gen13? The Authority? We'll probably never know, or at least never read them)
    I wish that DC comics would sell/spinoff Wildstorm. I liked the company better when it was Pre-DC comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I wish that DC comics would sell/spinoff Wildstorm. I liked the company better when it was Pre-DC comics.
    So do I.
    But It could be worse. They could have done to Wildstorm what Marvel did to Malibu.
    the extra skater
    Download Ferda Boys #1, a 36-page hockey webcomic.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by extra skater View Post
    So do I.
    But It could be worse. They could have done to Wildstorm what Marvel did to Malibu.
    It is incredibly unlikely that anything they might do would even be close to being as good as The Wild Storm was.

That being the case?

If this is where it ends, it's a pretty good note to go out on.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    It is incredibly unlikely that anything they might do would even be close to being as good as The Wild Storm was.

That being the case?

If this is where it ends, it's a pretty good note to go out on.
    I don't know, dude... maybe some good writers would do, because I think Grenął always lacked good writing, for instance.
    What is J. Scott Campbell doing right now? Give him Genął plus a good writer and they'd do a great job.
    the extra skater
    Download Ferda Boys #1, a 36-page hockey webcomic.

Quote Originally Posted by extra skater View Post
    I don't know, dude... maybe some good writers would do, because I think Grenął always lacked good writing, for instance.
    What is J. Scott Campbell doing right now? Give him Genął plus a good writer and they'd do a great job.
    If any new title(Gen13...) was doing anything except following up where things left off in The Wild Storm?

It would be doing the IP a disservice.

To roll the dice on that to try to put a creative team together with whoever?

I just don't see much of a point, personally.