Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Tim Drake's First Love Interest: Ariana Dzerchenko

She appeared in the first 66 issues of the Robin ongoing unti she was never seen or mentioned again

. Which I think is a damm shame because while I do think that Stephanie Brown on her own is a good character, but is rather annoying and petty when she's paired up with Tim Drake.

If you were a fan of the character, how would you bring her back into the fold in the comics?
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 01-23-2021 at 11:33 AM.

A sleeper agent that KGBeast has in his back pocket for a future assassination plot

I'm quite surprised that people still remember Ariana. To be honest I always liked her, even if most of her relationship with Tim was filled with drama - in my mind she was always the opposite of Stephanie. I'd like to think Dixon was going for a Betty and Veronica situation, but I'm pretty sure that Tim and Stephanie were always meant to be put together and Ariana was just there to drum up the melodrama until we were all sick of it.

In the end she went where all of Tim's supporting cast goes: into the ether. Ives, Dana, Callie, Zoanne, Shotgun - they're all supporting characters that have been lost to the wayside. That's one of the things I disliked the most about the Robin series as time went on. Dixon himself traded the old cast for the new Brentwood cast after No Man's Land, Jon Lewis ditched the Brentwood cast, Willingham introduced his own characters like Bernard and Darla, Beechen switched Tim to a new school and we ended up at the end of 183 issues with almost none of Tim's supporting cast intact. The only one who makes it all the way through from the mini series to Red Robin is Ives, if you can believe it.

If I were in charge of a new Red Robin series or a similar ongoing, I would just bring all of the cast back, no muss no fuss. One of the greatest strengths of Tim's time as Robin was his supporting cast. Tim Drake Robin is the most Peter Parker like character in the Bat mythos. Unlike Bruce, who doesn't have to answer to anyone, Tim has responsibilities and people checking up on him. An admirable thing about Tim was how much he valued his secret identity. When Bruce tells Stephanie who Robin is, Tim freaks out at Batman. Even to someone he's known for over 80 issues, he still tears Batman a new one for releasing his secret. That's why Tim was inspiring at such a young age: because he had a deep rooted responsibility to protect the people in his life and keep the two halves of himself separate for everyone's safety. It was interesting, but ultimately saddening that this was eroded away through the years.

But yeah, I'd just bring her back as is. Maybe's she's just running a deli in Gotham somewhere. She wanted to work in fashion, but she never got there. Maybe a story about how not everyone can achieve their dreams/goals? She doesn't need to be brought back as a romantic interest, but just a supporting character that brings accountability to Tim's other half of life.
    Last edited by km_sus; 01-24-2021 at 08:53 AM.

That's a good idea. If she's running a restaurant, it could be somewhere Tim and Steph use as a hangout when off duty.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That's a good idea. If she's running a restaurant, it could be somewhere Tim and Steph use as a hangout when off duty.
    Could it be a Red Robin?
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Umm...Really?

I really like her — partly because she’s a regular person. I like Stephanie, too, but now Tim is a superhero dating a superhero. And that’s part of his problem these days: As time has gone by, Tim he’s become increasingly disconnected from the “everykid just trying to get by” that made him appealing and distinctive in the first place. Growth should be good, but now he’s just generic.

I'm quite surprised that people still remember Ariana. To be honest I always liked her, even if most of her relationship with Tim was filled with drama - in my mind she was always the opposite of Stephanie. I'd like to think Dixon was going for a Betty and Veronica situation, but I'm pretty sure that Tim and Stephanie were always meant to be put together and Ariana was just there to drum up the melodrama until we were all sick of it.
    I've read before Steph was originally intended to only be a one-off, but don't know if that's true. Certainly by time she started recurring fairly often, I think they were set up the next step for Tim. I was always on Team Steph, and indeed it was reading about Stephanie Brown in a wiki that got me to reading D.C. in the first place. Loved the idea of an independent hero that wouldn't quit when Batman told her to, so am not a fan of her becoming Batgirl and becoming part of Batman's team at all - totally killed her independence. Similarly irritated at Barbara retconned as a protege of Batman's.

I liked Ariana fine, but don't particularly want to see her again. If I did, I would want her to be a regular person. Not a hero, and not a villain. She can be in danger and need an assist, though. Oh, and she can't be brought back to be tortured and/or killed or have some miserable, angsty end.

I would like Tim (and others) to have more civilian friends and supporting casts, though.

Dixon himself traded the old cast for the new Brentwood cast after No Man's Land,
    I was never a fan of the switch to Brentwood and much prefer the older supporting cast. Ariana falling by the wayside was more okay with me, because lots of people don't hang out with their exes. Of course, lots of people fall out of touch with old school friends, too, but I just wasn't a fan of the Brentwood set up. Also annoyed by Tim doing the Clark Kent bit with the glasses.

A sleeper agent that KGBeast has in his back pocket for a future assassination plot
    It is still very weird to me that KGBeast was brought back.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 01-25-2021 at 04:52 PM.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Ariana has a special place in my heart, she was so nice and was a good couple with Tim.
    She reminds me of Tim's golden times, when Dixon was on fire in most of the Batman titles.
    Cry of the Huntress is still one of my favorite comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Oh, and she can't be brought back to be tortured and/or killed or have some miserable, angsty end.
    Shhh, don't say it, they could listen you and take a cue. DC is thirsty for blood! and we are speaking about a Robin/Titans support character
    Last edited by failo.legendkiller; 01-26-2021 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Ariana has a special place in my heart, she was so nice and was a good couple with Tim.
    She reminds me of Tim's golden times, when Dixon was on fire in most of the Batman titles.
    Cry of the Huntress is still one of my favorite comics.

Shhh, don't say it, they could listen you and take a cue. DC is thirsty for blood! and we are speaking about a Robin/Titans support character
    I had no particular attachment to Silver or Tana (preferred Roxy and Dubb), but was still extremely annoyed at them brought back to be killed off.

I've read before Steph was originally intended to only be a one-off, but don't know if that's true.
    It is. Spoiler was a throwaway character for one arc, but she proved to be popular so they kept bringing her back.

Tim’s whole relationship with Ariana seemed to be him calling while she was in the shower and her running out excited to take the call. With cell phones now commonplace they might not have anything left to do.
    Cheers - CL

I had no particular attachment to Silver or Tana (preferred Roxy and Dubb), but was still extremely annoyed at them brought back to be killed off.
    Well, the timeline changes since then (Flashpoint, Rebirth, Death Metal) might have undone Tana's death. And Roxy ended up as being like a sister to the Kid that later become known as Kon-El and Conner Kent. Unfortunately, I don't expect we'll ever see either of them again, as they seem to be defaulting to Kon's final pre-Flashpoint status quo, him living with Ma and Pa Kent, and ignoring everything from the Hawaii era.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Apologies for thread necromancy.

I also really like Ariana. To be totally honest though I'm not sure bringing her back into the fold would be a good idea because well...

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone
    Oh, and she can't be brought back to be tortured and/or killed or have some miserable, angsty end.
    This.

That being said, if she were to return I'd have it be a story where Tim is feeling extra down and basically has no life outside of being a superhero. They run into each other unexpectedly and catch up. Tim learns Ariana is working for a big fashion company. He's happy for her of course but can't help feeling a little envious because of how his own life is going. She realizes something's troubling him and tries to offer what help she can. Eventually Tim realizes that he needs to learn what he wants from life as Tim Drake and not only as a superhero. He thanks Ariana for being a sympathetic ear and she tells him she's always there if he needs to talk. Basically being someone who can help Tim stay grounded and focused.

As tempting as it would be to have them get back together (I'm a dewy-eyed romantic, sue me), I realise that would be subjective. Just continuing to be friends and staying in touch will do.

Also, if she were to find out Tim's secret id (accidentally of course), then once the initial shock wears off, maybe she could design a new costume for him.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller
    I agree completely.

Mighty Member

Nah she was boring.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I'm a fan of bringing back old supporting cast to enrich the world of a main character, so that's it. Current series supporting cast, doing her own thing, sometimes crossing over. Similar to how Ives was brought back a couple of times.

They would be in university now. Tynion's vision of Ives went to Ivy U out of Gotham in an alternate reality, they could be not in Gotham, but if they are in Gotham Uni they can interact with both the cast of Tim Drake Robin and Batgirls