Default Graviton vs Count Nefaria

Which Avenger-Team Buster takes it?

Only in case Nefaria's speed turns this into a stomp, two alternative scenarios:

1) Graviton starts with shields active

2) Speed equalized
    Last edited by Anarchist; 01-25-2021 at 01:07 PM.

I don’t know that the speed DOES actually make it a stomp, because I’m not sure Nefaria can hurt Graviton since he became pure gravity. He just tends to completely no-sell physical attacks from Class 100s... except for some reason in that Iron Man story when he was able to be killed by a bullet because muffins. I think we’ll treat that as a lowball.

With the latter conditions in place, he certainly couldn’t hurt him.

I know Nefaria is a bit above these guys, but Graviton has EFFORTLESSLY crushed teams of Avengers with guys like Thor and Wonder Man, and likewise the Thunderbolts with Atlas.

He’s a honey badger for Class 100s.

(The beard-off in this match would be epic though.)

Incredible Member

count nefaria also has laser vision so he could easily do a homelander and lasered graviton into crisp from afar.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    count nefaria also has laser vision so he could easily do a homelander and lasered graviton into crisp from afar.
    I don't know for certain but I'm pretty sure Graviton has force fields that can no sell that easily.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I don't know for certain but I'm pretty sure Graviton has force fields that can no sell that easily.
    He does indeed.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Recipe for Disaster Blackid's Avatar

Question, if lasers are light with practically no weight to them, how do force fields stop them? Please be gentle, this is a student asking teachers that "no dumb questions" question. lol
    The Recipe for Disaster asks for Blasphemy, but as for me, ask for me, I give it gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackid View Post
    Question, if lasers are light with practically no weight to them, how do force fields stop them? Please be gentle, this is a student asking teachers that "no dumb questions" question. lol
    Same way that force fields stop sonic attacks but allow normal conversations between people inside and outside of a force field: plot-induced stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackid View Post
    Basically:
    1. It’s comics.
    2. Even using real science, gravity does bend light (although that’s more to do with distorting the space-time through which the light travels). And sufficient gravity (such as a black hole) is such that even light can’t escape.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Basically:
    2. Even using real science, gravity does bend light (although that’s more to do with distorting the space-time through which the light travels). And sufficient gravity (such as a black hole) is such that even light can’t escape.
    This doesn't really explain why Graviton or any person with a forcefield can see at all. It's better to just chalk it up to comic book physics.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Basically:
    1. It’s comics.
    tl;dr if gravity is dummy thicc enough, not even light can resist it.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    This doesn't really explain why Graviton or any person with a forcefield can see at all.
    It's not intended to?

Also, if the fields in question only block potentially dangerous energies (or potentially dangerous levels of energy), the harmless yet still useful stuff would get through and allow for sight.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    It's not intended to?

Also, if the fields in question only block potentially dangerous energies (or potentially dangerous levels of energy), the harmless yet still useful stuff would get through and allow for sight.
    Yes, it's very similar to Earth's Ozone layer, but it's never been explained in comics though. It's just one of those things where you can't think too hard on it. Because if you do, almost everything in comics/fiction falls apart.

Physics and most sciences need to be kept on a leash when comics (hell, fiction in general) are in town.

How do people flying faster than the speed of sound hear each other talk?

How do speedsters operating at light-speed-ish or faster see anything in front of them?

How do characters see/detect things moving towards Earth at faster than light speeds?

How does something moving light speeds not end the universe, as it would literally require more than the energy in the universe to make that happen?
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Amusingly, there's a nod to some of the above in one of the Flash's best speed feats, Post-Crisis. Happens in JLA: Elite, when Flash is fighting two different fights at superspeed about twenty-five hundred miles apart. Simultaneously. In different costumes.

While the Flash is normally depicted as being able to hear and see things (and converse with other speedsters) when moving at speeds beyond even lightspeed, here the narration (his thoughts) describe the fact that he is now 'moving too fast for sound'. Not 'faster than sound', but 'too fast for sound'. And there's no more speech bubbles, nothing.

And then he states 'almost too fast for light' (again, not 'almost lightspeed', but 'almost too fast for light'). And the details of the panels are getting blacked out.

The point is that he's going so fast now that event the BS comic book capacity of speedsters to hear and see things when moving beyond lightspeed is breaking down.

And what follows is the insane feat of him looking through a magical gateway between the two fights at himself - in both directions, wearing a different costume. So either he's crossing 2500+ miles (and changing his clothing) in the amount of time it takes light to cross ~3' (the distance between his 'selves' on panel), or he's literally in two places at once, take your pick (time being granular, I suppose?).

It's a pretty amusing nod to comic book physics being ridiculous.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-27-2021 at 05:24 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Amusingly, there's a nod to some of the above in one of the Flash's best speed feats, Post-Crisis. Happens in JLA: Elite, when Flash is fighting two different fights at superspeed about twenty-five hundred miles apart. Simultaneously. In different costumes.

While the Flash is normally depicted as being able to hear and see things (and converse with other speedsters) when moving at speeds beyond even lightspeed, here the narration (his thoughts) describe the fact that he is now 'moving too fast for sound'. Not 'faster than sound', but 'too fast for sound'. And there's no more speech bubbles, nothing.

And then he states 'almost too fast for light' (again, not 'almost lightspeed', but 'almost too fast for light'). And the details of the panels are getting blacked out.

The point is that he's going so fast now that event the BS comic book capacity of speedsters to hear and see things when moving beyond lightspeed is breaking down.

And what follows is the insane feat of him looking through a magical gateway between the two fights at himself - in both directions, wearing a different costume. So either he's crossing 2500+ miles (and changing his clothing) in the amount of time it takes light to cross ~3' (the distance between his 'selves' on panel), or he's literally in two places at once, take your pick (time being granular, I suppose?).

It's a pretty amusing nod to comic book physics being ridiculous.
    And yet DC's insisted for years that he could move at "almost the speed of light"