Page 9 of 85 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Welp, it was really great to see MJ in ASM again today. A very wholesome issue, and MJ was very cute (even if I find Bachalo's current style to be more than a bit confusing sometimes). This is the kind of story I signed up for!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    To be honest in ITSV I kind of find it unbelievable that MJ would take Peter B. back. This guy divorced her against her objections and intentions and put her through hell, and now he wants a do-over?
    In most cases MJ is puts up with abuse and is forgiving of Peter to a fault. Look at what he did to her during the I Am The Spider phase where he abandoned her repeatedly, then you have the clone saga with Peter hitting her, abandoning her during her pregnancy in Maximum Clonage, trying to kill her in Time Bomb story, then it being kind of his fault being Spider-man that she was poisoned the day she gave birth resulting in a dead baby, and just kidnapped by his villians, etc. In ASM 402 there is a scene where she delivers results to Peter her baby may be deformed due to his irradiated blood and she goes off saying how she has been through things that would have broken most people... but she hasn’t. It’s very true. Being Spider-man’s wife and/or girlfriend is often a never ending cycle of trauma, loss, and stress. MJ has a lot of reasons to leave and never look back but the fact she constantly forgives and has hope for a better life with Peter in the face of so much adversity is a character trait I find so compelling about her.

Mighty Member

46806839-1080187068830675-1641705094943035155-n.jpg

A better look at MJ's design for Into the Spider-Verse. Probably the closest we'll ever get to Emma Stone as Mary Jane (Well, excluding Gwen in TASM )

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    46806839-1080187068830675-1641705094943035155-n.jpg

A better look at MJ's design for Into the Spider-Verse. Probably the closest we'll ever get to Emma Stone as Mary Jane (Well, excluding Gwen in TASM )
    Probably the most freckled she's been in an adaption (if she's ever been freckled? I think she might've been in the MTV cartoon).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Probably the most freckled she's been in an adaption (if she's ever been freckled? I think she might've been in the MTV cartoon).
    Actually MJ Post-OMD has been shown with freckles. J. Scott Campbell's famous, or notorious, cover from #601 started that trend. Dave Marquez has also included it when he drew her in both USM and in Invincible Iron Man. Obviously beauty standards have changed and a freckled MJ looks both homely and beautiful. She is still the most beautiful woman in comics.

I remember a cover or two that had her freckled.

Mighty Member

The freckles are a J Scott Campbell thing. I prefer MJ with dimples and a cleft chin.

I was focusing more on adaptions then the comics. I can't really recall a freckled MJ in an adaption (does Shailene Woodley have freckles? Would she count by a technicality?)

I’m usually not a big fan of freckled MJ in most art I’ve seen, but I think it works on the Spider-verse model of her and kind of like it for that version. I do hope however, it doesn’t become the default interpretation of her. I just think she looks better without them most of the time.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 01-30-2019 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I’m usually not a big fan of freckled MJ in most art I’ve seen, but I think it works on the Spider-verse model of her and kind of like it for that version. I do hope however, it doesn’t become the default interpretation of her. I just think she looks better without them most of the time.
    Yeah, I think it should be a "depending on the artist" thing.

Mighty Member

Emma has freckles, but not Shailene or Dunst. This is the first time, to my knowledge, that she has been animated with freckles.

Wait, was it Peter B. who decided to divorce her? I felt it was the other way around. That's not to say MJ would've been less devastated at the failure of her marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Wait, was it Peter B. who decided to divorce her? I felt it was the other way around. That's not to say MJ would've been less devastated at the failure of her marriage.
    The flashback shows Peter signing first while Mary Jane sits back sadly. This, coupled with the fact that it happened because MJ wanted kids and Peter B was too scared of having them while he was still Spider-Man, implies he was the one who decided it.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    The flashback shows Peter signing first while Mary Jane sits back sadly. This, coupled with the fact that it happened because MJ wanted kids and Peter B was too scared of having them while he was still Spider-Man, implies he was the one who decided it.
    Also, the pleasant look of surprise on her face when he showed up at the door with flowers seems to imply she still wanted to be with him which also leads me to believe it was more him than her being responsible for the separation. If it was more her deciding to leave him I would not expect that reaction... I’d expect a more negative response.

Though it doesn’t come out and say it, could have been mutually decided with much sadness and confusion/uncertainty on both sides.

BANNED

Peter also says when he meets the Alternate MJ at the party, "I wasn't there for you when you needed me the most. I didn't even try." Then earlier in the montage...Peter keeps calling MJ and then cancelling his calls and so on.

The movie repeatedly says that he was the one who ended that marriage, and ruined his life. It's a mid-life crisis, his aunt died and he was afraid of the responsibility of having kids and being a man without a parent around, so he decides to ruin his life.

That's about the only way I can ever buy a divorce between Peter and Mary Jane, i.e. that he does it and chooses it. Nobody who put up with Peter as much as Mary Jane did, and went so far out of her way for him would leave Peter for some minor petty reason or the other. And Peter will be morally compromised by that, as the Peter B. Parker of the ITSV movie is.

It's pretty telling that Peter B. has most in common with Kingpin, you know dudes who drove away their wives and then try and make pathetic apologies to the alternate versions of their loved ones rather than dealing with their own f--kups.