Page 32 of 420 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Box office update.

Wonder woman 2 hits $100m ww.

https://deadline.com/2020/12/wonder-...ce-1234663766/

Soul doing well in china.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=7ff607fc73de

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    There aren't 100- 125 people packed into the cinemas like there used to be, they're at 25% capacity and parties sit six seats apart and only every other row is used.
    I don't see that turning into a super spreader event.

Your own comfort level may vary, and that's fine...but let's not pretend that the way theaters are now running is as unsafe as those Trump rallies.
    We went from the supermarket to a Trump rally in one post! That's gotta be a record for moving the goal posts!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    We went from the supermarket to a Trump rally in one post! That's gotta be a record for moving the goal posts!
    Seems like a good yard stick. Supermarkets can be relatively safe, Trump rallies are COVID petri dishes. Theaters are somewhere in-between, the question is what are they closer to?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

It's not a "good yardstick" to say movies are as safe as a relatively safe activity that people need to do, then accuse people of making them out to be unmasked crowds packed together because they see a risk more inherent than grocery shopping. In what world is that a "good yardstick"?

Edit: Also, I just don't care. I'm not arguing about how safe movies are compared to Trump rallies and grocery shopping. I'll leave that to the experts.
    Last edited by Joker; 01-02-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It's not a "good yardstick" to say movies are as safe as a relatively safe activity that people need to do, then accuse people of making them out to be unmasked crowds packed together because they see a risk more inherent than grocery shopping. In what world is that a "good yardstick"?

Edit: Also, I just don't care. I'm not arguing about how safe movies are compared to Trump rallies and grocery shopping. I'll leave that to the experts.
    You guys were the ones who made them sound comparable to Trump rallies with comments like you're in doors with 140-150 people and that everyone is constantly taking their masks off. My points were to highlight that those activities aren't part of the new theater experience because of the safety measures in place...safety measures which must be working because there hasn't been a single mass case traced back to a theater...world wide. That's not luck, that's evidence of safety measures working.
    Now, it still might not seem worth the risk to you(and that's alright we're all in different circumstances) and there still is risk(I'm not saying there's not) but it's not so risky an activity that it seems justifiable to deride it outright and to do so seems like a wild overreaction to me.

The new ceiling seems to be 300 million for any upcoming blockbuster.

No, I was giving those two as one end or the other, with movies somewhere in between. Maybe closer to a restaurant with proper distancing.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The new ceiling seems to be 300 million for any upcoming blockbuster.
    Not for some overseas markets.

China update---

As 2021 dawned, China shot straight out of the box office gate with a new record. On Friday, the market hit a milestone for New Year’s Day.

Estimates are coming in for January 1 at about RMB 600M ($92M), besting the same day in all previous years. The big result was generated largely by new local title A Little Red Flower which has blossomed through strong word of mouth. This all comes as China ended 2020 as the biggest box office market globally, surpassing North America for the first time. As previously noted, this was on the horizon as early as October. Comscore estimates the total Middle Kingdom 2020 box office was $2.74B, although the China Film Administration has it slightly higher at $3.12B (RMB 20.4B). Domestic box office is estimated at $2.28B, per comScore.

China has shown strong bounce-back during the pandemic which nearly a year ago made it among the first markets to shutter cinemas, and forced it to miss out on the typically lucrative Lunar New Year period. Local war epic The Eight Hundred is the biggest movie worldwide for 2020 with $461M (overwhelmingly from China) and the rest of the Top 10 includes National Day release My People My Homeland and animated pic Legend Of Deification.

The Middle Kingdom had regularly been expected to surpass domestic at some time, though it’s not clear the market would have done so this year absent the virus’ impact. Many industry executives we’ve spoken with, however, think it will continue to lead in 2021.

China has its own New Year coming up and signs are pointing to a massive frame beginning February 12 with, most significantly, Detective Chinatown 3.

For now, the current weekend has been led by local heartwarming drama A Little Red Flower, the story of two families battling cancer. It hails from Go Away Mr Tumor director Yan Han and grossed RMB 255M ($39M) on Friday after previews began at 6PM local time Thursday. The running cume through 7PM local time on Sunday is RMB 740M ($113.3M) and counting.

Also being embraced by Chinese audiences this session is comedy Warm Hug with RMB 160M ($24.5M) on January 1 and a total through Sunday evening of RMB 509M ($78M). Other films playing near the top of the chart include last weekend’s global leader Shock Wave 2 (RMB 812M/$124.3M through this evening) and Disney/Pixar’s Soul which has benefitted from strong word of mouth and seen strong daily increases. Its cume after 10 days is over $25M.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/china-n...ce-1234664033/

Bad boys 3 highest american film of 2020.

https://screenrant.com/bad-boys-3-bo...grossing-2020/

You guys were the ones who made them sound comparable to Trump rallies
    I didn't, though. Don't "you guys" me. I'm saying being in a closed space, over several hours, with people not wearing masks the whole time is more risky than a trip to the grocery store. I didn't bring up rallies. I didn't say they're super spreader events. I didn't say any of that. I said it's not equatable to grocery shopping, because it's not.

BANNED

I didn't, though. Don't "you guys" me. I'm saying being in a closed space, over several hours, with people not wearing masks the whole time is more risky than a trip to the grocery store. I didn't bring up rallies. I didn't say they're super spreader events. I didn't say any of that. I said it's not equatable to grocery shopping, because it's not.
    yeah that guy is the one who equated "super spreader" with Trump rally, no one else.

In any case, i've stopped engaging him because it's clear he's not interested in the truth, and continuing to engage him just gives him a forum to spread his dangerous misunderstandings.

But if there hasn't been a mass of out breaks due to theaters how is it objectively more dangerous than grocery stores? What metrics are you using to gauge that? That's my point, data matters and the data available doesn't support the idea that it's any more dangerous than other activities that people don't bat an eye to.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    yeah that guy is the one who equated "super spreader" with Trump rally, no one else.

In any case, i've stopped engaging him because it's clear he's not interested in the truth, and continuing to engage him just gives him a forum to spread his dangerous misunderstandings.
    I'm the one not interested in the truth...but you're the one that misrepresented an opinion piece as a fact rich, hard news piece and then said the CDC agreed with his opinion when in fact it did not...how does that work?

BANNED

For the record, it was a hard news piece in the Entertainment section, not an Opinion piece in the Editorial section. Entertainment news doesn't count as opinion.

You twisted what the CDC has to say it disagreed when in fact the entire new article was based on what the CDC actually says is currently true.

That's how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    For the record, it was a hard news piece in the Entertainment section, not an Opinion piece in the Editorial section. Entertainment news doesn't count as opinion.

You twisted what the CDC has to say it disagreed when in fact the entire new article was based on what the CDC actually says is currently true.

That's how it works.
    It isn't how it works actually.
    What you posted was very much an opinion piece, written by a writer who only writes opinion pieces about entertainment, and it was full of data that couldn't be verified so it was the opposite of an objective, fact-based piece of hard journalism. If you'd like to see the difference you can read the article I linked to it, where all points are sourced from legitimate medical and scientific journals, and further are even appropriately sited and linked to so one can verify the points themselves.

And I didn't twist what the cdc said...I posted a direct quote that the CDC themselves put in bold and set apart from the rest of their page with larger font thus marking it as a comment they want to be understood loud and clear and then I pointed out that no where in all their various policy suggestions do they unequivocally say don't do indoor activities but instead say over and over again that if you follow their safety guidelines you can still enjoy these activities and those guidelines are ones enforced in cinemas.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 01-03-2021 at 12:34 PM.

But if there hasn't been a mass of out breaks due to theaters how is it objectively more dangerous than grocery stores? What metrics are you using to gauge that?
    Enclosed space. Lack of consistent masking. Duration of time.

These are all things the CDC has repeatedly hammered home are to be of concern. Which is why movie theaters aren't open everywhere.

But again, I don't really give a shit what drum you have to bang for movie theaters. I don't even know why I keep posting, because I genuinely do not care what you think about the safety of movie theaters vs grocery stores.
    Last edited by Joker; 01-03-2021 at 01:13 PM.