Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Layoffs at DC?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    This is a lot worse than it seems apparently: https://twitter.com/asher_elbein/sta...54315770994697

Bob Harras is apparently gone; so are editors Mark Doyle, Brian Cunningham and Andy Khouri

Jim Lee is still at the company, but no longer publisher.

DC Collectibles is no more.
    yikes, the days of us complaining about the Didio era seem so long ago now.

Astonishing Member

Is everyone reading the most recent article on Bleeding Cool?

DC Comics Editorial Bloodbath Going On Right Now

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...-on-right-now/

They're cooperating most of the news. Pretty much all except Jim Lee's change up

This looks bad. I hope for the best for everyone at DC Comics.

Not sorry to see Harras go given how he protected harrassers, but Doyle being let go is a bad sign. What’s going to happen to Black Label?

I mean, people have been calling for major shake-ups at the editorial level in order to see some major changes in DC's books; this seems like what that is. sorry to people who're about to lose their job but haven't a lot of these people been around for a grip? general consensus has been DC has been on a decline for years, so if this is what needs to be done to fix the line then I guess it's a necessary evil. mind you I don't know all that much about how things go on behind the scene anyway, maybe this could spell disaster. however, I would like to believe this shake up leads to better management and by extension stories I can actually invest it because DC has been lacking in that. hey wishful thinking, maybe this will open up opportunities for more people of color in higher positions that can get more diverse storytelling; and you know, less sexists and harrassment enablers too would be nice. I'm just waiting and seeing man, waiting and seeing.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Is everyone reading the most recent article on Bleeding Cool?

DC Comics Editorial Bloodbath Going On Right Now
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/jim-...losion-rumors/

Extraordinary Member

BleedingCool: Jim Lee, Bob Harras, Marie Javins In New DC Comics Implosion Rumors
    This New DC Implosion seems to have all-but-confirmed the departure of Mark Doyle, Executive Editor at DC Black Label. Other named, repeatedly now, include DC Editor-In-Chief Bob Harras. Vice President, Global Publishing Initiatives & Digital Strategy Bobbie Chase. DC Editor Andy Khouri, DC Senior Story Editor Brian Cunningham, and SVP Publishing Strategy & Support Services at DC, Hank Kanalz. That DC Collectibles will be wound up as a line of statues and toys, with the rights licensed elsewhere to the like of Mattel or Hasbro.

But we are now getting a better shape as to what DC Comics will be looking like going forward. Because, as to whether Jim Lee remains as COO and Publisher, I am told that he will be transitioning out of that role, with current Executive Editor of Global Publishing Initiatives & Digital Strategy at DC Comics Marie Javins and Vice President and Executive Editor, DC Children's/Young Adult Michele Wells promoted, effectively running publishing, and reporting to Jim. For now.

But I have also been told that Eddy Choi, Executive Assistant to Jim Lee, Sandy Resnick, International Publishing, Ad Sales & Custom Creative Studio and Sara Haskell, Marketing Director are out. As are Michael Shelling, Director of Publicity (Publishing) at DC. Jonah Weiland, VP of Marketing & Creative Services and Jim Sokolowski, VP, Comic Book Specialty & Newsstand Sales.
    But I am told that these layoffs will have an immediate effect on the publication of DC Comics monthly titles, and I am to expect a rapid reduction of titles. If you thought DC Comics published an unhealthy percentage of Batman books, you ain't seen nothing yet. The Batbooks, most of the Justice League books and some of the Superman books will stay safe, as will the digital line, the original graphic novel line. But a lot of comics will have to disappear as there simply aren't enough people to work on them. Scott Snyder will be very grateful for Marie Javins' elevated role…

Because the plan is for publishing to definitely continue, but I am to expect a greater emphasis on digital and bookstore rather than the comic book shop, for now at least.
    Comicbook.com: DC Editor-in-Chief Bob Harras Among Several DC Comics Layoffs
    Lee remains at the company, but ComicBook.com has learned that he no longer holds the title of publisher. Lee's new role will be to act as a liaison between DC and other brands of Warner Media. ComicBook.com has also learned that a new general manager "from the world of esports" is being brought in to lead the division. More cuts are also expected. ComicBook.com has reached out to DC Comics for comment but has not received a reply as of press

Would have to agree on Harras. I do find it funny that this is happening RIGHT after it seemed liked DC got it's bearings after Didio leaving. 5G had to get scrapped so I wonder what things happening now will end up dropped?

“But I am told that these layoffs will have an immediate effect on the publication of DC Comics monthly titles, and I am to expect a rapid reduction of titles. If you thought DC Comics published an unhealthy percentage of Batman books, you ain't seen nothing yet. The Batbooks, most of the Justice League books and some of the Superman books will stay safe, as will the digital line, the original graphic novel line. But a lot of comics will have to disappear as there simply aren't enough people to work on them. Scott Snyder will be very grateful for Marie Javins' elevated role…“

Not excited by the prospect of more Batman books.
    Last edited by Twice-named; 08-10-2020 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I like the headline from the original 1948 Implosion.

Last edited by Lee Stone; 08-10-2020 at 05:50 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I want to know what we think this might mean for the comics. Ongoings, minis, one shots, OGNs, Black Label, etc. The whole kit and caboodle. Is this the end of monthly floppies? Is Black Label gone? Is everything going to go to the book market route like their kids stuff? Is everything going to be ok and this means no change to what we see here in the books?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

With Corona, it's safer and easier to buy digital and it can reach internationally, so Global Publishing and Digital Strategy being promoted make sense.
    Then with the titles, the safest ones are the big names, money makers. Meaning Batman.
    So those two things sound about right

The interesting part is laying off Black Label people and promoting Children/YA boss. I don't know the OGN sales on those Labels but that seems to show where their priority lies from now on. Less adult niche, more general audience?
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-10-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Astonishing Member