Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Understand: I had no set desire to see Cass as Batgirl in this film.

But there’s something wrong if you’ve got a movie with a John Wick stunt coordinator, and Cassandra Cain, yet those two facts have nothing to do with each other.

I might see the movie in part so I can tie it into my Shadow of the Batgirl review on YouTube, as a kind of “Here’s at least one area where the film could undoubtedly have done better.”
    Yeah, WTF? Cass could have been an amazing foil for the rest of the team, full on wild child.

I swear, DC acts like its ashamed it takes from comics. Remove Canary's sonic scream, used once, and how is this movie not just a rehashed Charlie's Angels?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, WTF? Cass could have been an amazing foil for the rest of the team, full on wild child.

I swear, DC acts like its ashamed it takes from comics. Remove Canary's sonic scream, used once, and how is this movie not just a rehashed Charlie's Angels?
    I'm going to guess due to budget constraints one Canary cry was the max allowed. Reminds me of how Fox was petrified to show Colossus armour up due to costs in X-Men 2 and only had him for a few seconds. Probably wanted to save costs on Cass by not hiring trainers and stunt coordinators for action scenes.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I'm going to guess due to budget constraints one Canary cry was the max allowed. Reminds me of how Fox was petrified to show Colossus armour up due to costs in X-Men 2 and only had him for a few seconds. Probably wanted to save costs on Cass by not hiring trainers and stunt coordinators for action scenes.
    Arrow has used the canary cry, I'm sure it doesn't cost that much

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't mind the movie but there is no way this Cass becomes the one in the comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    There's no reason that Cassandra can't be kidnapped and trained by David Cain right after the events of this movie.
    Short of being brainwashed and completely broken down, I also don't really see a comic-accurate Cass in this version's future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Movie Cassandra should have been Misfit.
    Misfit, Sin, Steph Brown, hell, Harper Row or literally any female from 'We are Robin'.
    There were a lot of different, and more appropriate, choices for the teen sidekick in this movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    1. It was an absolute blast, it was so much fun and I love it. Everyone who hasn't should go see it right now. This movie knows exactly what it’s about and what it’s trying to be, and it is that thing the whole way through. It’s an amoral roller coaster ride of joyous violence and sociopathic humor and I am HERE for it. It’s everything I wanted Suicide Squad to be back in 2016, and that Suicide Squad utterly failed to deliver on.
    This doesn't sound good to me as a BoP fan .
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    The Arrowverse also featured a comic accurate Black Canary as well for a time.
    Which one ?
    Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I feel like, if they wanted a Harley Quinn and a team of Gotham Girls film, why wouldn’t you make a Gotham Sirens film? Poison Ivy and Catwoman both have anti-heroic histories older than Harley’s, are also rule breaking rebels, and have a better established rapport with Harley. Heck, Black Mask is even Catwoman’s traditional archnemesis! And if they wanted a Birds of Prey film, juts make a Birds of Prey film.
    I still feel like the tone and style of this film is more in-line with the Sirens then the BoP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Yeah, I don't think the Canary Cry is that FX heavy compared to other powers.

The canary cry was used only at the end because it matched Dinah's character arc - overcoming the trauma caused by the death (perceived betrayal) of her mother. She didn't want to use it and was forced to out of necessity. If she'd used it more, it wouldn't have worked for her backstory and personality.

Cassandra was changed, I assume, because having a non-verbal protagonist in an ensemble action film would have been quite difficult to pull off. You'd need to dedicate more spotlight on the character to adequately convey emotions and motivations - and it's already a quite crowded film. Anything added to Cass would have meant taking it from another character and upset the relatively balanced screen time that we got.
    Sure, I would have loved to see comic book accurate Cassandra Cain in the film (god knows, I think Cass is still the best Batgirl) but such a move would have been a mistake for this film.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The canary cry was used only at the end because it matched Dinah's character arc - overcoming the trauma caused by the death (perceived betrayal) of her mother. She didn't want to use it and was forced to out of necessity. If she'd used it more, it wouldn't have worked for her backstory and personality.
    I see (although I prefer a Dinah who enjoys her Cry).
    Cassandra was changed, I assume, because having a non-verbal protagonist in an ensemble action film would have been quite difficult to pull off. You'd need to dedicate more spotlight on the character to adequately convey emotions and motivations - and it's already a quite crowded film. Anything added to Cass would have meant taking it from another character and upset the relatively balanced screen time that we got.
    Sure, I would have loved to see comic book accurate Cassandra Cain in the film (god knows, I think Cass is still the best Batgirl) but such a move would have been a mistake for this film.
    If they weren't really going to do Cassandra Cain then they probably should have chosen a character who better fit the story they were trying to tell.

The Canary cry used in arrow is pathetic compared to that of the movie its cost would be a fraction of it. Also BoP only cost what a seasom of arrow would have. Given that they would have had the added cost of Set production (which a TV series doesnt after its pilot, and a pilot costs what a quarter of a season does)

Astonishing Member

Saw the movie it was good.

I thought Black Canary was super accurate in terms of personality. (Other than the fact she wasn’t a white woman)

Huntress was kind of comic relief but it played into the pre-BOP loner aspect of the character.

Renee Montoya was also more light hearted but they were accurate with her backstory as well.

Just pretend Cassandra Cain is a new character.

Spectacular Member

Watch them make Cassandra Cain become Oracle in the sequel and really stress everyone out.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    The first trailers was especially bad. I did like the 2nd trailer.

At one time David Ayer was pegged as director for Gotham City Sirens but he and Warner Bros. seem to have parted ways and Ayer still seems to be bitter about how that Warner Bros. screwed up Suicide Squad.
    Gotham City Sirens was the movie that he felt would redeem himself. But when the Harley Quinn solo movie became Margot Robbie's project she opted for doing Birds of Prey instead.
    I'm talking about stuff way more basic than trailers. Like how the title of the film was handled.

As for having Gotham City Sirens directed by David Ayer, that's one big nope.

«Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I saw BoP and rather enjoyed it. Certainly superior to other efforts such as Man of Steel, Justice League or BvS. Not quite Wonder Woman level but still entertaining.
    Its the ratio decidendi of it all. Every female comic film now has to be on Wonder Woman's level. Joker's presence in this movie is greatly missed too.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Genuine question:

Is there a single positive male character in this movie?
    I guess there's like, half of one, but this movie is so deliberately amoral that there can hardly be said to be a positive female character either. I think this question is predisposed to be upset, but there's nothing to be upset about. It's a movie about some super-type ladies and an evil crime boss. There's not a whole lot of room for positive male characters, or really any characters outside the main cast and the villain to be that well developed. It's a very tight movie.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Edited. I got ninja'd.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-09-2020 at 02:39 AM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I guess there's like, half of one, but this movie is so deliberately amoral that there can hardly be said to be a positive female character either. I think this question is predisposed to be upset, but there's nothing to be upset about. It's a movie about some super-type ladies and an evil crime boss. There's not a whole lot of room for positive male characters, or really any characters outside the main cast and the villain to be that well developed. It's a very tight movie.
    Is it worth watching for Huntress and Black Mask? No spoilers, please

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Is it worth watching for Huntress and Black Mask? No spoilers, please
    Huntress has a quite small role in the movie (arguably the smallest one among the named characters), but she has some good moments.

Black Mask is a bit trickier but Ewan McGregor does a great job as Roman Sionis the Mob Boss.

Let me put it like this: if you approach this as a girl gang action mob movie, you'll have a grand time.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])