Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Default Panthro (original) vs Catra (Netflix)

Standard Khazan battle.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 06-15-2021 at 08:29 PM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

catra's boned when panthro's theme hits.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

More seriously, what kind of feats did Panthro have? I never actually watched Thundercats.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Generally seemed class... 5-ish? Unless I'm forgetting any major feats. He could lift a significant chunk of a busted spacecraft with a bunch of mutants on it and crush steel in his hands. All the Thundercats had some superhuman strength and Panthro was generally the strongest along with Liono (who, IIRC, was more or less evenly matched with him in a contest of strength, being someone that can easily backhand a big thrown tree in half such that it loses its momentum). He seemed to roughly top out lifting a big boulder about twice his height. He's caught attacks from behind him before, and he's nimble as the rest of the Thundercats (i.e. like maybe what you'd call peak human agility, trivially doing flips and 20 foot jump, doing handsprings to dodge attacks and stuff). He's got magic nunchaku... I think they shoot fire and ice, but it's been awhile since I watched the old show too.

It's 80s animation, but he comes off as a pretty skilled fighter, and for all that the Thundercats spring around a lot, probably the most solid of them when he's fighting. We see a more of him doing things like blocking and cleanly moving between stances.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Generally seemed class... 5-ish? Unless I'm forgetting any major feats. He could lift a significant chunk of a busted spacecraft with a bunch of mutants on it and crush steel in his hands. All the Thundercats had some superhuman strength and Panthro was generally the strongest along with Liono (who, IIRC, was more or less evenly matched with him in a contest of strength, being someone that can easily backhand a big thrown tree in half such that it loses its momentum). He seemed to roughly top out lifting a big boulder about twice his height. He's caught attacks from behind him before, and he's nimble as the rest of the Thundercats (i.e. like maybe what you'd call peak human agility, trivially doing flips and 20 foot jump, doing handsprings to dodge attacks and stuff). He's got magic nunchaku... I think they shoot fire and ice, but it's been awhile since I watched the old show too.

It's 80s animation, but he comes off as a pretty skilled fighter, and for all that the Thundercats spring around a lot, probably the most solid of them when he's fighting. We see a more of him doing things like blocking and cleanly moving between stances.
    Okay, so that's up against Catra.

Seems Catra has at least on-par agility, though I wouldn't necessarily say she has equal skill - I don't recall any 'no-look' catches or stuff like that, and Adora was shown to have better all-around fighting SKILL than Catra (who kept up more on superhuman agility from the look of it). She also doesn't have as good a ranged game as he does, what with the whole 'shooting of ice and fire' versus a whip that is electrified (which isn't bad, frankly, given who it hurt).

Erm.

Panthro seems to have an edge when it comes to strength and range game. Catra wasn't all that strong, comparatively speaking, but could cut steel with her claws (which seemed to be more a factor of CLAWS! than strength). On the other hand, Catra's electrified whip messed up a lot of pretty tough people (I vaguely recall it creating problems for She-Ra when it caught her).

This one is going to be a rough fight, I think. Anyone have any ideas?
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate