Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Yeah, I was going to point that out to someone who was talking about how dangerous smoking and casual sex are, but jeez this thread is mentally draining.
    Careful Kid, we're in evangelical land.

This whole discussion is just nuts to me. Batgirl kissed a guy? Who cares!

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    Here I thought it'd be more of an in character or out of character problem and discussion, not essays on societal standards for men and women...
    Well, we all know its out of character. Even the story itself acknowledges that its out of character. Thats the point of it though. Babs did something out of character. This new run is about Babs trying to lighten up her life, trying to put the misery behind her and have more fun. But because, well, shes not use to doing things like that, she went a little overboard. They're not glorifying what she did, and they're not treating it like its her new character. Its really is amazing how this blew up here like it did.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-05-2014 at 07:05 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    She didn't blackout. She just woke up (flawless! ahem, I meant hungover) and in the span of less than 20sec sees the guy, and remembers him after Frankie reminds her.
    That's why the panel is so blurry.
    Do you often need help to recognize people who you made out with the night before? Not just fuzzy headed trying to put things together but looking at them and asking other people who they are?

This is either really crappy story telling, or a very odd decision to start the new run with Barbara the binge drinker and near blackout drunk.

Hopefully it is just crappy story telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustopher View Post
    Do you often need help to recognize people who you made out with the night before? Not just fuzzy headed trying to put things together but looking at them and asking other people who they are?

This is either really crappy story telling, or a very odd decision to start the new run with Barbara the binge drinker and near blackout drunk.

Hopefully it is just crappy story telling.
    I remember most things after getting pissed off my face but I do need reminding lol. We've all been there. Babs is just having fun.

She is having fun, Dick is being all spy like, Bruce is broody, Tim leading and still is with Cassie and Jason is killing somewhat.

It's all good.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

They traded Oracle for this?

Astonishing Member

You're about 3 years late.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    They traded Oracle for this?
    No, they traded Oracle for a sorrow grim gritty version of a poor victim that somehow barely resembles a human character named Barbara Gordon

Then they traded that for this
    Not Oracle but is an improvement.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Cactus View Post
    She should save herself for marriage just like chaste virgin Dick Grayson.
    This is soooo quotable! I'm really looking forward new direction of Batgirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    We definitely do not want our children emulating someone who drinks and makes out with another person. We want them emulating someone who strictly engages in wholesome violent vigilantism.
    Nor do we want them to use narcartics, have sex, curse, etc. Yet they are probably going to do so. A better lesson is that even if they do these things, they are not a bad person.

Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    You can't tell Ditko, tho. He's a recluse.
    top kek at that avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MOOT View Post
    Nothing wrong with the scene, and even if it was, well who came up with the idea that superheroes are role models ? we are talking about violent criminals here (vigilantism is a crime ) using great powers and massive wealth to punch mentally ill people in the face.
    This is actually a great criticism for Batman in general.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noviere View Post
    I learned something from this thread: I'm a trashy, promiscuous, lush.
    Well, according to this thread, only if you're a girl. If you're a guy, you can do whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Well, according to this thread, only if you're a girl. If you're a guy, you can do whatever...
    No, no, no. according to this thread if it's a guy he still is a trashy, promiscuous, lush, but no body is going to say anything about it. I think.

BANNED

When I was younger, there were definitely times that my memory needed jogging. Especially when I was using drinking as a stress relief. I've woken up in strange places (because I didn't want to drive drunk) and had to introduce myself to new people that I met, conversed, and possibly other things the night before.

That's not binge drinking. Binge drinking is a pattern of drinking over several months or years. This is a young girl partying with her new friends and over-doing it. Just someone trying to learn to enjoy life. Someone with a dad in jail for mass murder and a serial-killer brother might need a refresher course on enjoying life, and might make a few mistakes on the way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    If you need to be reminded that you spent the night hooking-up with a random guy, you are too drunk to give consent.

The fact we need to come up with head canon to explain why the guy apparently remembers everything and Babs doesn't seem to remember snogging furthers this argument.

Even if both parties were drunk beyond consent, it's not the best way to kick-off a pro-female book.
    It`s the Manara cover argument again.

If we want to shatter the concept of a book needing to be pro this or that, we need to remind ourselves that if readership claims for 3 dimensional characters, that includes this kind of drama. Which isn`t even original to begin with. It all started with a movie with a single plot line in the script: "boy meets girl".

Sometimes you have to write organic embarassing moments if we want our characters to read real. To me, this is what the moment is all about and I bet a big majority of us here have had this happened to, male or female. Kicking a start with some double life drama seems superhero writing 101 to me.

And this is where your argument falls apart. You already "knowing" that this kind of ocurrence is going to be "often".

You don`t. And unless they are planing a "Demon in the bottle" storyline for her, which is the extreme take on the subject, there`s zero chances of that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Well, we all know its out of character. Even the story itself acknowledges that its out of character. Thats the point of it though. Babs did something out of character. This new run is about Babs trying to lighten up her life, trying to put the misery behind her and have more fun. But because, well, shes not use to doing things like that, she went a little overboard. They're not glorifying what she did, and they're not treating it like its her new character. Its really is amazing how this blew up here like it did.
    This guy gets it.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 10-06-2014 at 02:27 AM.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Awesome post in an otherwise worthless thread.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Its funny, I see this kind of thing happen all the time on the show GIRLS and women call that show the most feminist show of all time. No reaching over consent when we are talking about kissing at a party where you are inebriated.