Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Last I checked it’s not January 20th 2021 and Trump is still President until then and can do a lot of crazy and unhinged things in his lame duck period.
    Agreed. In a perfect world, Republicans would immediately invoke the 25th amendment, kick Trump to the curb and let Pence finish the term. But, in our imperfect world, the GOP will turn a blind eye and let Caramel Caligula do whatever he wants, and you can bet the farm scorched earth will be on his agenda.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Past that, the idea that '92 was mostly about Perot and not really about Pat Buchanan?

Sorta unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Agreed. In a perfect world, Republicans would immediately invoke the 25th amendment, kick Trump to the curb and let Pence finish the term. But, in our imperfect world, the GOP will turn a blind eye and let Caramel Caligula do whatever he wants, and you can bet the farm scorched earth will be on his agenda.
    Look up the Nero Decree.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Kamala speaking for the first time as Vice President elect. Wearing suffrage white. 100 years after the 19th Amendment is ratified we have a female Vice President who is a POC!
    On that much, it's about time.

Spectacular Member Maine Starfish's Avatar

Last I checked it’s not January 20th 2021 and Trump is still President until then and can do a lot of crazy and unhinged things in his lame duck period.
    sure, I know

I just meant the vote counting, waiting for the results, that’s over

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    What are the actual odds of that happening?
    The same odds everyone thought Reagan had about winning the Presidency before 1980 (he lost the Primary against Gerald Ford, the unelected Gerald Ford, He-Who-Pardoned-Nixon, in 1976) and wasn't on paper the best candidate Republicans had with them.

Just because it doesn't seem possible now doesn't mean it can't happen. Reagan proves that conservativism can be a real popular mass movement in an election campaign. When people talk about "What if Trump but competent?" the answer should always be, "We had him, his name is Reagan". People always compare Trump to Nixon and not the one he resembles most because a Competent!Trump can be successful to the extent that people would not think of him as Trump. People always remember Reagan in refined pompous tones, when in actual fact he was crude, anti-intellectual, telegenic, style and no-substance. And also ran a totally corrupt administration. Ran on faux-populism by winning over Rust Belt white working class but screwed over the working class on taking office, and presided over a major public health crisis that he mismanaged during the AIDS epidemic.

It's a time that I tend to doubt that any future Republican will ever have anything even remotely similar to.
    True the Cold War shaped and defined Reagan whereas Trump came in a time of peace and relative prosperity. But again just because it's unlikely does not mean it cannot happen.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    While certainly detestable, Moscow Mitch is no one's fool and will certainly look to keep a leash on Trump until he can be rid of him.
    He’ll have to be careful about how he “keeps him on the leash” considering Trump can easily cast aspersions on the the GOP enough that could have serious political ramifications for the GOP. Since Trump attacking the GOP establishment could create animosity and bitterness from the base that could lead to depressed Republican voter turnout for crucial elections like the 2022 Mid-terms and that election in Georgia in January.

Trump voters have this warped cult-like loyalty to Trump, and I argue the Republican Party is the Trump Party now and Trump has left an indelible mark on the party that will be felt for generations. The vast majority of the Republican base are Trumpers through and through and overwhelmingly will turn on anyone that Trump expresses dismay to. He’s already playing the victim card whining about how more GOP members are sticking up for him.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 11-07-2020 at 07:29 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Sorry if you felt bad about that. That said I don't want to respond to all of that because I felt I addressed it before.
    That’s okay, as long as it wasn’t deliberate.

When you say "Historically" that's a bold claim there.
    And it's not true. During the American Civil War, New York City was completely Democrat aka white supremacist aka anti-Civil War aka sub rosa Pro-Confederate and totally Anti-Lincoln, extremely right wing. The Draft Riots happened in NYC, one of the worst race riots in US History. And also the Tulsa Pogrom, happened in an urban area too. The most radical (white) abolitionist of his time, John Brown, lived in predominantly rural parts of America, and Missouri was the center of violent abolitionist-slaveowner battles. Look up "Bleeding Kansas". Cities haven't always been super progressive bastions. The contemporary rural-urban divide isn't always forever all-times and all-places. There were parts of the American South that were pretty urban and still supported slavery, you know New Orleans. The American abolitionist movement, the real militant abolitionists came from the Religious Revival and concentrated in rural areas.
    Let me rephrase that, historically as in modern times since the beginning of the post war period.

The civil war is a completely different era, humanity was in a different stage of its evolution over 150 years ago, so it does not apply to the 21st century.

California for most of the 20th Century was a Republican Red State. Richard Nixon was Californian, Ronald Reagan was Californian. And even now California has parts of it that are pretty regressive, or libertarian (especially Silicon Valley.
    Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan were center right Republicans, and they had policies that appealed to voters at the time, which is why George Bush won two elections. They have a right to compete for suburban votes.

Donald Trump is part of the fringe right of the Republican Party (I already touched on why he got in as well as Brexit) he only lasted one term because he is a fruit cake who embraced the most vile fringes of his party and backed them in his twitter feeds.

I want to celebrate Biden’s win right now, and be happy, so provided you don’t ramp things up, I will make this my last response, we can discuss the inner working of the left another day cheers.
    Last edited by The no face guy; 11-07-2020 at 07:29 PM.

The same odds everyone thought Reagan had about winning the Presidency before 1980 (he lost the Primary against Gerald Ford, the unelected Gerald Ford, He-Who-Pardoned-Nixon, in 1976) and wasn't on paper the best candidate Republicans had with them.

Just because it doesn't seem possible now doesn't mean it can't happen. Reagan proves that conservativism can be a real popular mass movement in an election campaign. When people talk about "What if Trump but competent?" the answer should always be, "We had him, his name is Reagan". People always compare Trump to Nixon and not the one he resembles most because a Competent!Trump can be successful to the extent that people would not think of him as Trump. People always remember Reagan in refined pompous tones, when in actual fact he was crude, anti-intellectual, telegenic, style and no-substance. And also ran a totally corrupt administration. Ran on faux-populism by winning over Rust Belt white working class but screwed over the working class on taking office, and presided over a major public health crisis that he mismanaged during the AIDS epidemic.

True the Cold War shaped and defined Reagan whereas Trump came in a time of peace and relative prosperity. But again just because it's unlikely does not mean it cannot happen.
    Politely, that's not even remotely the case.

The guy(like him or not...) was an incredibly singular politician in an absolutely singular time in history.

The idea that there are even long odds that a Republican could repeat it is borderline laughable.

Never mind any Republican on the horizon right now.

Astonishing Member

I can assure you whatever Trump might do in the next two months will pale compared to anything he had in mind for the next four years.

Ultimate Member

He’ll have to be careful about how he “keeps him on the leash” considering Trump can easily cast aspersions on the the GOP enough that could have serious political ramifications for the GOP. Since Trump attacking the GOP establishment could create animosity and bitterness from the base that could lead to depressed turnout for crucial elections like the 2022 Mid-terms and that election in Georgia in January.

Trump voters have this warped cult-like loyalty to Trump, and I argue the Republican Party is the Trump Party now and Trump has left an indelible mark on the party that will be felt for generations. The vast majority of the Republican base are Trumpers through and through and overwhelmingly will turn on anyone that Trump expresses dismay to. He’s already playing the victim card whining about how more GOP members are sticking up for him.
    Trump's liable to chew through any leash placed on him. Unless Mitch has actual blackmail material, Trump is liable to smash everything he can on his way out

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    I can assure you whatever Trump might do in the next two months will pale compared to anything he had in mind for the next four years.
    Absolutely. A re-election would have made him far more radical. It was crucial to defeat him this election.

Astonishing Member

Absolutely. A re-election would have made him far more radical. It was crucial to defeat him this election.
    Considering how much he bungled the response to the pandemic there’s no question he would’ve bungled the vaccine distribution somehow if he had won re-election.

- Charles Schultz.

BANNED

Considering how much he bungled the response to the pandemic there’s no question he would’ve bungled the vaccine distribution somehow if he had won re-election.
    I don't think you can call it bungling, if trying to make sure the poor suffer at the expense of the rich is a deliberate action. Which it was.

Trump's Pandemic response was intended to make blue states suffer and blue voters die in bigger numbers than red states and red voters.

The vaccine distribution would have gone similarly...red states get it first, blue states have to pay up to get in line and have to disperse it carefully so that the more vulnerable would get it last.

Donald Trump should be tried as a mass murderer for his handling of the Covid-19 Pandemic.

Astonishing Member

- Charles Schultz.