View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 127 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 27771171231241251261271281291301311371772276271127 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 16974

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    So with 2014 nearly over: what was the highlight for LGBT characters in 2014?
    Has to be young avengers of course. A bisexual prodigy, a gay couple saving the world with love (bit corny but we've seen it happen tons of times with the straights so I'm sure we can get a pass for it this time) and america's lesbian parents.

I sure hope we see more of the young avengers in 2015!

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Has to be young avengers of course. A bisexual prodigy, a gay couple saving the world with love (bit corny but we've seen it happen tons of times with the straights so I'm sure we can get a pass for it this time) and america's lesbian parents.

The problem is almost all of that was from 2013. 2014 had the final issue of the series - which did reveal that America's lesbian and Noh-Varr experimented - but it still feels like a stretch to include it.

I'd say the LGBT highlight for this year was probably the Anole issue of Amazing X-Men. There's not that much to choose from. There's Pod, the first openly LGBT Avenger. Hulkling, Prodigy and Noh-Varr got a fun Original Sin tie-in story. Northstar was in Amazing X-Men, and got a fairly prominent role in the Wendigo arc. There was the gay couple who supported Kate Bishop, and were great. Daken kissed a dude, and Mystique's love for Destiny was touched on. Storm kissed a girl while evil, and as a show of dominance, and blamed it on Quire, and I don't give a shit what some people think, that was by no stretch of the imagination in any way a positive moment. Loki being genderfluid was handled fairly well.

Beyond that stuff, I'm drawing a blank on LGBT content from this year.

I liked Cullen and Anachronism in Avengers Undercover. By the end they had a gay/straight bromance going. Which isn't too common.

Quote Originally Posted by asiea View Post

Tom Hiddleston about bisexual Loki
    I love Tom Hiddleston!!!!

Ha, yeah I'm still hoping for loki to show even the slightest interest in the same sex in the comics as well
    DITTO

So with 2014 nearly over: what was the highlight for LGBT characters in 2014?
    "Top 3" Highlights
    - Prelude to Wolverines. Daken, Marvels ONLY LGBT solo star to have two series; gets freed from Remender and used in a monthly comic by a writer who "gets" him; in a comic also starring Marvel's first LGBT solo star: Mystique (both of whom have their LGBT status shown in the comic).
    - Northstar in Amazing X-men (both Aaron and Kyle&Yost); heroic, fun, egotistical, as he blood should be!
    - Anole's one-shot in Amazing X-men

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I'd say the LGBT highlight for this year was probably the Anole issue of Amazing X-Men. There's not that much to choose from. There's Pod, the first openly LGBT Avenger. Hulkling, Prodigy and Noh-Varr got a fun Original Sin tie-in story. Northstar was in Amazing X-Men, and got a fairly prominent role in the Wendigo arc. There was the gay couple who supported Kate Bishop, and were great. Daken kissed a dude, and Mystique's love for Destiny was touched on. Storm kissed a girl while evil, and as a show of dominance, and blamed it on Quire, and I don't give a shit what some people think, that was by no stretch of the imagination in any way a positive moment. Loki being genderfluid was handled fairly well. Hmmmmm... my mind is now also blank...

Odin's support of his genderfluid child was awesome, agreed. X-force had some LGBT moments with Fantomex, Benjamin Deeds revealed he has a big ol' crush on Iron Man in the Annual "Specials".

Quote Originally Posted by Magnito View Post
    I liked Cullen and Anachronism in Avengers Undercover. By the end they had a gay/straight bromance going. Which isn't too common.
    I'm not sure it's "uncommon". Anole has Rockslide and Northstar has Iceman vs. Wiccan/Hulkling have Kate Bishop.

I love Tom Hiddleston!!!!

DITTO

"Top 3" Highlights
    - Prelude to Wolverines. Daken, Marvels ONLY LGBT solo star to have two series; gets freed from Remender and used in a monthly comic by a writer who "gets" him; in a comic also starring Marvel's first LGBT solo star: Mystique (both of whom have their LGBT status shown in the comic).
    - Northstar in Amazing X-men (both Aaron and Kyle&Yost); heroic, fun, egotistical, as he blood should be!
    - Anole's one-shot in Amazing X-men

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!!

Odin's support of his genderfluid child was awesome, agreed. X-force had some LGBT moments with Fantomex, Benjamin Deeds revealed he has a big ol' crush on Iron Man in the Annual "Specials".

I'm not sure it's "uncommon". Anole has Rockslide and Northstar has Iceman vs. Wiccan/Hulkling have Kate Bishop.
    There is hope Al says it will happen later in the COMIC (loki gets a date)

I love this scene

Odin—classically not the warmest or fuzziest parent in the Marvel Universe—has a moment where he stops to think about how much he loves his kids. And when he talks of them, he refers to them as “My son and my daughter and my child who is both.

Quote Originally Posted by asiea View Post
    This was definitely a highlight of 2014; I really do hope Ewing explores Loki's bisexuality in 2015; or even his transgenderness (Odin's comment was awesome, but we've yet to have Loki truly analyse how he feels about his varying genders. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving Ewing's work, and already he's had Loki as a woman twice (and it's still early days). We need more Sigurd flirting, dammit! I miss their playful tumbles in the garbage can!

I just reread Young X-Men. It was great to see Anole and Rockslide interact. It's probably my favorite and more relatable bromance in comics. I wish we got to see them together more.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

This was definitely a highlight of 2014; I really do hope Ewing explores Loki's bisexuality in 2015; or even his transgenderness (Odin's comment was awesome, but we've yet to have Loki truly analyse how he feels about his varying genders. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving Ewing's work, and already he's had Loki as a woman twice (and it's still early days). We need more Sigurd flirting, dammit! I miss their playful tumbles in the garbage can!
    Correction: Loki's not transgender, he's genderfluid. Transgender refers to someone born physically one gender, but who identifies as the other. Loki identifies as both male and female, depending on the mood. Loki's male when he's male, female when she's female.

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Correction: Loki's not transgender, he's genderfluid. Transgender refers to someone born physically one gender, but who identifies as the other. Loki identifies as both male and female, depending on the mood. Loki's male when he's male, female when she's female.
    I'm really glad we have a genderfluid Marvel character, even if it's more of a 'magical' sort of genderfluid with a physical change of forms. It's not Marvel, but we had a genderfluid villain over in Nick Abadzis' Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor series (again of the magical variety), which was pretty cool to see. It would be good to see a truly genderfluid character - but I'm sure we will in time.

My highlights of 2014:
    *Loki: Agent of Asgard
    *Anole gets a date!
    *Hulkling/Wiccan's textual flirtation and Miss America's date over in Original Sins
    *The use of gay characters and couples as background characters in titles like Hawkeye, DC's Batgirl, and I'm sure there are plenty others
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

I stand corrected; good catch. Either way, very happy to see a genderfluid character in comics.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Ha, yeah I'm still hoping for loki to show even the slightest interest in the same sex in the comics as well
    Yeah, I was hoping he'd bang Kristoff just to get one over Doom.

Does anyone read Tom Breevort's tumblr? he was asked about gay characters today and had, what I thought, was a pretty honest answer:

Q: Hey Tom, Where are all the gay men at? Or just LGBT characters in general? I appreciate Marvel's efforts at diversity but as a gay man I feel under represented in all forms of media

A: I think that’s because you are underrepresented in all forms of media. But hopefully that’s changing as time marches on.

As I’m sure you are aware, there are an assortment of LGBT characters scattered throughout the Marvel Universe. Most of them tend to have grown out of team series, which I think gets to the heart of what you’re asking about. There is at present no Marvel solo series starring a LGBT character.

I think that has to do both with not having found the right character who could potentially hold their own series, combined with the additional pressure that any LGBT-led comic is going to face. Because you are underrepresented, each representation becomes more crucial, and more about the demographic as a whole than about a specific individual. And that’s a tough place to exist as a series. The sort of outcry that might follow if we treated such a character in the same way we treat Thor or Iron Man or Captain America is a daunting proposition—because an iron Man story or a Thor story can simply be about those characters, whereas the same story about a LGBT character is interpreted as a commentary on the LGBT community as a whole, positive or negative.

I think it’s only a matter of time before we get there. but I’d want to do so with a committed creative team who were invested in the material and who were prepared to deal with the sort of harassment that, for example, Rick Remender experienced when some people didn’t like his CAPTAIN AMERICA stories—only more so, and more regularly. And I think that if we foul it up, if the book isn’t as good as you’d want it to be, regardless of its orientation, that would do a whole lot more damage to the movement than the average title launch that doesn’t catch on.

So it’s maybe a bit of a cop-out, but that’s how I see it at the moment. We’ll get there, we just don’t yet have the MS MARVEL situation for a LGBT-led series, and I wouldn’t want to go out with anything we felt less confident in. We’ll continue to feature LGBT characters throughout the Marvel Universe in various titles, and hopefully the right opportunity will present itself sooner rather than later.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Fantastic Member

The irony is, if an LGBT character would have a solo ongoing and would be treated like Thor, Iron Man and so on, it would be the fairest representation of said character. The characters' sexuality really is just one part of their personalities. That seems to be a problem for Batwoman at the moment over at DC. The focus of her ongoing is lingering perhaps too much on the fact that she likes girls to the detriment of the fact that she is a badass superheroine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Did anybody ever tell you that your writing style really matches your location?

The problem is almost all of that was from 2013. 2014 had the final issue of the series - which did reveal that America's lesbian and Noh-Varr experimented - but it still feels like a stretch to include it.

I'd say the LGBT highlight for this year was probably the Anole issue of Amazing X-Men. There's not that much to choose from. There's Pod, the first openly LGBT Avenger. Hulkling, Prodigy and Noh-Varr got a fun Original Sin tie-in story. Northstar was in Amazing X-Men, and got a fairly prominent role in the Wendigo arc. There was the gay couple who supported Kate Bishop, and were great. Daken kissed a dude, and Mystique's love for Destiny was touched on. Storm kissed a girl while evil, and as a show of dominance, and blamed it on Quire, and I don't give a shit what some people think, that was by no stretch of the imagination in any way a positive moment. Loki being genderfluid was handled fairly well.

Let's hope 2015 will be a much better year for our favorite LGBT characters.