Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Kwannon is an older character than Laura. Also, just because Laura has managed a way to deal with her inner turmoil it does not mean there are not other ways that could work better, or that she would at least want to try.

Yes, this is done to try to establish Kwannon, but that is because has not been explored.

Besides, Old Man Cable was a brand new character who was thrown into a leadership/mentorship role of characters that had been around years already and that was fine.

Anyway, all this to say that I never bothered to read the first issue but this preview has me intrigued enough I might go back and check it out.
    Kwannon got most of the time sleeping while Betsy was using her body.

Laura went throught a lot, and she is a 21 year old young adult.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I like the preview. I'm rooting for you kwannon.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Kwannon got most of the time sleeping while Betsy was using her body.

Laura went throught a lot, and she is a 21 year old young adult.
    I'm pretty sure that when Kwannon died in Betsy's body in the '90s she was already older than Laura is now. And either way I don't think Laura should be 21.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    Being legally adult doesn’t change the fact that she’s young, and if you’d read my post instead of knee jerk reacting, you’d notice that I acknowledged how much more she’s been through. That’s more of a reason why she should still be struggling with her traumas not less.
    Laura is still a fictional character in a comic book and we've seen her overcome those traumas. Not point in going back to them.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I'm pretty sure that when Kwannon died in Betsy's body in the '90s she was already older than Laura is now. And either way I don't think Laura should be 21.
    And that doesn't really matter, because she is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Laura is still a fictional character in a comic book and we've seen her overcome those traumas. Not point in going back to them.
    That’s not usually how traumas work, though. You don’t just shed them like a snake sheds skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    And that doesn't really matter, because she is.
    ...Until years from now where Laura will still be published and won't be allowed to really age normally so she'll probably be still on her early 20's and then her current age will be retconned to somewhat younger. Remember when Jean Grey's grave on DPS said she was 25? 3 decades later in Morrison's New X-Men Logan said she wasn't even that close to 30.

That’s not usually how traumas work, though. You don’t just shed them like a snake sheds skin.
    If you read X-23, Avengers Academy, Wolverines and All-New Wolverine, that's not what happened.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

If you read X-23, Avengers Academy, Wolverines and All-New Wolverine, that's not what happened.
    I have read them, thank you very much. Doesn’t change the fact that you don’t shake off a lifetime of trauma in a just a few years. It doesn’t happen especially not without continuous treatment. You want Laura to be heroic and empowered? Showing her managing and fighting through that baggage is more heroic and empowering than portraying her as if she left that **** at the last station. That’s just not how it works.

I have read them, thank you very much. Doesn’t change the fact that you don’t shake off a lifetime of trauma in a just a few years. It doesn’t happen especially not without continuous treatment. You want Laura to be heroic and empowered? Showing her managing and fighting through that baggage is more heroic and empowering than portraying her as if she left that **** at the last station. That’s just not how it works.
    But we've already seen that. Now we're just rehashing just like they're doing with She-Hulk.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

People are reading too much into Laura's request. All it is doing is showing there is something beneath the surface with Kwannon, something similar to Laura but different. It establishes a rapport between the two. Laura being curious about learning about how Kwannon controls her anger differently than Laura does not erase the stories about Laura dealing with it at all. It will probably only come up again in more exploration of Kwannon, not Laura.

BANNED

But we've already seen that. Now we're just rehashing just like they're doing with She-Hulk.
    We should see it over and over again. Look, I get it. I used to be adamantly opposed to Storm’s claustrophobia rearing it’s head after it’s been put to bed so many times. Now, I realize it’s much more heroic and relatable if Storm is managing and overcoming it every single time. Just letting it go diminishes her and that experience which was singularly defining for the character.

But how often does Storm's claustrophobia or Carol's alcoholism come up? The writers need to stop threading the same character flaw so much and so often.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

But how often does Storm's claustrophobia or Carol's alcoholism come up? The writers need to stop threading the same character flaw so much and so often.
    No, they don’t. Alcoholism in particular never goes away. These are the human struggles that define Marvel as a company.

Yeah we don't need to see it being rehashed again and again. Create new stories and dramas for the characters work