Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

^ Indeed. I was disappointed when I heard it was Bendis, but if Marvel are smart they'll get him on something great.

Perhaps after this DC will give him a more prominent project to do. I liked his work on Green Arrow (but New52 Ollie is not my cup...)
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    He doesn't appear to be exclusive but if that second project is an ongoing then he won't be doing anymore DC work any time soon.
    exactly, even if artists aren't exclusive, they don't tend to just jump back and forth frequently. Some do, but usually not the major ones.

Anyway, another huge loss for DC. And the fact he's doing an X-title (even if just an Annual) is double painful b/c it's written by Bendis and his retarded time-travel logic. And I want so bad to like the X-Men again...

Who was the last big artist (or writer...) DC poached from Marvel, before JRJR? Finch (and Cornell for writers?) like 4 years ago? I'm sure it's some combo of bad editorial reputation and low $ offers as to why Marvel creators aren't going over to DC. But man, it'd be nice to see like Nick Bradshaw or Olivier Coipel head to DC. DC already has plenty of great artists, but a lot seem to be underutilized and a lot of titles have some not-that-good art.

I know Andrea said there were a variety of offers and he has no bad words for DC, but I wonder what DC did offer him to stay? I'm guessing not JL or Batman, like Deniz Camp mentioned would've been the only real projects to keep him aboard probably. He'd be a great Batman artist, too, even if all 3 of Bruce's titles have their established creative teams. But I mean, Tomasi and Gleason have to leave Batman &... at some point, right? Hell, Sorrentino on Catwoman would've been neat, too...

Oh well, glad he has a project he likes and is getting the notoriety he deserves.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    Who was the last big artist (or writer...) DC poached from Marvel, before JRJR?
    Greg Pak and Jeff Parker?
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    True, and those were great pickups.

I just feel like Marvel has poached a lot more from DC than DC has from Marvel. Marvel has bigger projects, for one thing, to offer to writers and artists; which might be WB's fault, as they've wasted so much time getting the DC Cinematic Universe going. I mean, before the Iron Man movie kicked it all off, he was never anywhere near as big as he is now. And who would've thought the Guardians of the Galaxy would have an ongoing book, with two extra solo books of their characters? The Marvel movie-verse is really pushing their comics.

WB and DC should've done it first. They didn't, I accept that. But they didn't need to wait until 2016 before they have a (somewhat) Justice League movie. That bandwagon should've been jumped on a long time ago.

I'm just saying both things are related.

Not to mention DC editorial has ticked off a lot of *good* creators, forcing those people to go elsewhere, and typically to Marvel. We've got a lot of great talent, but we also have a lot of non-talent. I mean, rumors that Scott Lobdell will have a weekly book next year is not good news for the company, nor for the fans. Marvel doesn't really have any outright *terrible* writers, while DC has a few. DC needs a managerial/editorial overhaul.
    Last edited by brandnewfan; 07-27-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Pak is still writing for Marvel. Parker I overlooked, admittedly. But was his migration to DC even newsworthy? Or did it just show up on solicitations?

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    Not to mention DC editorial has ticked off a lot of *good* creators, forcing those people to go elsewhere, and typically to Marvel. We've got a lot of great talent, but we also have a lot of non-talent. I mean, rumors that Scott Lobdell will have a weekly book next year is not good news for the company, nor for the fans. Marvel doesn't really have any outright *terrible* writers, while DC has a few. DC needs a managerial/editorial overhaul.
    I think you're right regarding DC having a lot of top and bottom level talent. I think the most important thing for DC currently is to keep their top talent, rather than attempt to poach Marvel's (as much as I'd like that). The editorial's bad rap probably won't attract any new creators, unless those creators are looking for a dream character project or paycheck only (I'm thinking DC can still attract indie talent). But DC can still attempt to appease their current group of creators. Keeping talent should be easier than obtaining new talent, for any place of employment.
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 07-27-2014 at 11:53 AM.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

Uncanny is a pretty top tier book. Good to see him get more high profile work.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    I just hope Greg Capullo sticks around after Snyder finishes with Batman.
    I'd put money on Capullo going to creator owned stuff after Batman. Unless he follows Synder and does some Marvel work maybe. Synder talked about wanting to do something with Captain America in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    Pak is still writing for Marvel. Parker I overlooked, admittedly. But was his migration to DC even newsworthy? Or did it just show up on solicitations?
    There are Howard Mackie, Travel Foreman and Andy Lanning as well.

It was mostly solicitation news.
    BB

There are Howard Mackie, Travel Foreman and Andy Lanning as well.

It was mostly solicitation news.
    Yeah, I'm referring to when a creator leaves and it makes news outside of/before the solicitations, w/ articles, interviews, etc, like this one w/ Sorrentino. Or for DC - JRJR, Finch, and even Cornell made news when he went DC exclusive a few years ago (of course before ultimately re-joining Marvel...).

But I can't really think of any real "news worthy" ones (from Marvel) during the New 52 except JRJR? I mean, Will Conrad joining DC 1 or 2 years ago was big news to me b/c I'm a fan of his, but I know the general comicdom community didn't really notice/care as he's not on the same level as Immonen, Reis, JHW3, Larocca, etc - the types whom would make news.

I know DC still attracts good talent here and there, even from Marvel, but nothing like what Marvel has done to DC the past 3~5 years.

edit:
    I will say, this topic is pretty much exclusively movement between the Big 2. DC has done fairly well attracting indie talent and can continue to do so. They should just make sure to make an effort to keep them as well.
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 07-27-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Astonishing Member

It's always interesting to see the ebb and flow. I follow writers a bit more, as they tend to be more stalwarts; the artists move around a bit.

That said, Sorrentino was just hand chosen by Bendis. That puts him in a place in the company that, essentially, means he's gone from DC for the foreseeable future. He'll have all the choicest, high-royalty gigs.

Ditto Johns at DC, really. Once he chooses you as one of his guys, you're pretty much set.

DC has recently lost Jeff Lemire on most of their projects, not out of ill will but out of other opportunities. Grant Morrison has steadily pulled back. They lost Rucka and Waid quite some time ago.

Marvel seems to be losing Hickman post-Avengers. They lost Brubaker quite some time back. Ellis doesn't appear to be doing anything for them anymore, and is now writing 3 Image books plus his own novels, which almost assuredly precludes him from almost anything else. Fraction seems to be pulling out, and certainly has enough creator owned work to last him, assuming he can make money off of it.

As far as I can tell, on either side of the company, there haven't been a lot of newer folks coming up. Ales Kot, maybe Fialkov? Nick Spencer has sort of been in a holding pattern, and anyway has always been more dedicated to his independent work. There seems to be a paucity of buzzworthy up and coming company men/women (as writers. Artists continue to astound).

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    True, and those were great pickups.

I just feel like Marvel has poached a lot more from DC than DC has from Marvel. Marvel has bigger projects, for one thing, to offer to writers and artists; which might be WB's fault, as they've wasted so much time getting the DC Cinematic Universe going. I mean, before the Iron Man movie kicked it all off, he was never anywhere near as big as he is now. And who would've thought the Guardians of the Galaxy would have an ongoing book, with two extra solo books of their characters? The Marvel movie-verse is really pushing their comics.

WB and DC should've done it first. They didn't, I accept that. But they didn't need to wait until 2016 before they have a (somewhat) Justice League movie. That bandwagon should've been jumped on a long time ago.

I'm just saying both things are related.
    Avengers and GoTG is nowhere near Batman, Harley Quinn, Superman or JL when in comes to sales.

Iron Man sells way less than Aquaman.

Box office numbers don't translate to comic sales.
    when was the last time that happened though? 2012-13? The talent pool of DC has been pretty steady and solid for quite a while now. I do remember Ales Kot leaving last year but it wasn't because of editorial. Heck the editor of the book from which he left followed him to Marvel.

Astonishing Member

It was because of high up editorial. He was told it was an ongoing book, by Wil Moss (because Wil Moss believe he was hiring him for an ongoing), but Didio overruled him to put Kindt on it (for what ended up being a short lived tenure).

A huge shame, he's welcome back any time he wants. Then again, it might be interesting to see him do more sci-fi and off-the-wall stuff than he's been able to do with Lemire on GA.

BANNED

As far we know, Andrea Sorrentino has not signed an exclusive contract with Marvel. So, DC Comics has not "lost" him. Sooner or later, he will be back doing work for DC.

Wow, that's too bad. As someone else already said, first Nicola Scott and now this. Doesn't sound like any bridges were burned in either case, however, so hopefully they'll both be back sometime soon down the road.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Real big loss for DC, damn.

They should have given him anything to keep 'em.