Page 41 of 456 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Agent of Chaos View Post
    Yeah, I would argue that it had more in common with Darker Than Scarlet than HoM.
    It had some elements of Darker than Scarlet. But that was not a false reality that she had people live in. That was her whole life being controlled by Immortus and her having a breakdown over losing her kids. The show had loss in common and Agatha being involved. There was no Immortus. There was no Magneto trying to get her back in the Brotherhood. I'd say that Darker was more of an easter egg.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I have done a bit of thinking and I think there is another viewpoint that should be considered. Spending time around comic fans has made me realize that there is this unique trait that characters like Wanda have. She is portrayed as scarily powerful with her powers having no clear-defined limits. The MCU has certainly built her up as a real powerhouse with increasingly powerful feats throughout the movies and Kevin Feige has called her the most powerful Avenger. Something that is hard to disagree with at this point. And this is where that trait comes in. People still want more and more. It's a power fantasy at this point and Wanda is the vehicle for it. Just like people love it when Superman comes flying in and goes absolutely ham on the villain of the day. An itch that other characters like Cap just cannot satisfy.

I suspect that's why House of M/No more mutants gets brought up so often. Love it or hate it is still the most powerful feat she has ever accomplished in her history and even with all the crazy stuff happening in the Marvel Universe all time not many characters can claim to have done something similar. I think many don't actually know all the details of the story and all the problems it had and caused further down the line. They just use it as an example for how powerful the character is and therefore want to see it on screen and not out of any malicious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    It had some elements of Darker than Scarlet. But that was not a false reality that she had people live in. That was her whole life being controlled by Immortus and her having a breakdown over losing her kids. The show had loss in common and Agatha being involved. There was no Immortus. There was no Magneto trying to get her back in the Brotherhood. I'd say that Darker was more of an easter egg.
    It centered about Wanda having a mental breakdown due to a series of traumatic events involving the loss of her loved ones and even featured White Vision, much like Darker Than Scarlet. Interestingly, Loki adapted the parts of the story involving Kang manipulating people's lives and erasing timelines.

It centered about Wanda having a mental breakdown due to a series of traumatic events involving the loss of her loved ones and even featured White Vision. Interestingly, Loki adapted parts of Darker Than Scarlet with Kang manipulating people's lives and erasing timelines.
    HoM also centered around that. Darker inspired AD/HoM.

HoM also centered around that. Darker inspired AD/HoM.
    AD/HoM are pretty much sequels to DTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    I have done a bit of thinking and I think there is another viewpoint that should be considered. Spending time around comic fans has made me realize that there is this unique trait that characters like Wanda have. She is portrayed as scarily powerful with her powers having no clear-defined limits. The MCU has certainly built her up as a real powerhouse with increasingly powerful feats throughout the movies and Kevin Feige has called her the most powerful Avenger. Something that is hard to disagree with at this point. And this is where that trait comes in. People still want more and more. It's a power fantasy at this point and Wanda is the vehicle for it. Just like people love it when Superman comes flying in and goes absolutely ham on the villain of the day. An itch that other characters like Cap just cannot satisfy.

I suspect that's why House of M/No more mutants gets brought up so often. Love it or hate it is still the most powerful feat she has ever accomplished in her history and even with all the crazy stuff happening in the Marvel Universe all time not many characters can claim to have done something similar. I think many don't actually know all the details of the story and all the problems it had and caused further down the line. They just use it as an example for how powerful the character is and therefore want to see it on screen and not out of any malicious reasons.
    Yeah we know that MCU fans love feats. The problem with feats is they sometimes can lack any narrative. And usually Wanda suffers when given power ups. Because her powers become more of the focus than her character being cared for. In essence she becomes nothing more than a plot device.

And the reason comics fans and movie fans are at opposites on this is they haven't lived through Wanda being thrown in the fridge as a result and being gone for years. And they won't have to worry about what the movies do to the character in comics, because most of them don't read comics.

AD/HoM are pretty much sequels to DTS.
    Kind of except for being 15 years apart from it and disregarding any continuity of the character in between.

Kind of except for being 15 years apart from it and disregarding any continuity of the character in between.
    While true. AD/HoM do build on the idea of Agatha repressing Wanda's memory of the loss of children that was established in DTS.

While true. AD/HoM do build on the idea of Agatha repressing Wanda's memory of the loss of children that was established in DTS.
    The problem with that is that Wanda remembered her kids in between. So she didn't need to go to Agatha mad about her having her forget her kids. She already knew about it and worked through all of that.

I think that inherently is the problem. It's always been a problem I've had with fandom and certain characters, wherein a character is often overshadowed by the power fantasy they represent and all discussion eventually dissolves into how great their "feats" are. Actions should help define a character and not the other way around, Wanda should not exist to service her power. Her power should help frame her narrative, her choices, and journey.

While it's understandable why some might be drawn to a power fantasy - it's flashy spectacle - the cost often comes at depth. And I think that's been an issue, many know Wanda for these grand "feats" and nothing more, she's a catalyst for "cool things" they want to see, but in these scenarios she's used as a device for other's and not her own story - it's shallow, exploitative, short-sighted, and plays into numerous problematic tropes. I actually think a story constructed by capable writers could tell a compelling version of that story, IF Wanda was the central protagonist. But she isn't.

Wanda in the new Marvel Big Book of Fun and Games

https://www.marvel.com/articles/cult...book-fun-games

The images are all used from past issues, but it's still something pretty cool and fun.

How powerful Wanda was in House of M is something that does get brought up a huge amount on social media.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ckalebtod...03977113571330

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I would argue that it had more in common with Darker Than Scarlet than HoM.
    Ehhh, what? Darker than Scarlet doesn't have the "create a new reality aspect". It uses stuff like Vision being dismantled and stuff(which is again, not really part of DTS.)

Incredible Member

House of M is a mess of a story. It get so much wrong and you safely replace Wanda with a reality warping sheep and the story would still make as much sense. Making Wanda that powerful makes her unusable. They're still cleaning up the mess caused by that story. People online say a lot of stuff. Doesn't mean it is true, good or should be listened to.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Just about every news article, podcast, and comic book store discussing Wandavision did reference the show as being partially inspired by House of M. I suspect that was why it became a feeding frenzy for copies.

A House of M like movie on a vastly grander scale then Wandavision will prove tempting, but they might not get to it for awhile. It’s not the kind of thing you tell to introduce mutants.
    Hopefully they will grab an actual X-character to be the plot device of an HoM movie and leave Wanda alone if that happens.