Page 57 of 473 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Just tell me one thing: what is your definition of a friend?

Depending on your answer, you might answer your own question.
    Let me cite Oxford’s definition, which, for the most part, I agree with:

friend — a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically exclusive of sexual or family relations.

However, friendship is not just about two people knowing and feeling affection for one another; it also entails profound acceptance of one another’s flaws and weaknesses. Moreover, I believe it possible for people who are vastly different and diametrically opposed—even enemies—to become friends. Admittedly, I am an optimist.

Keep in mind, I suggested that I would be interested in seeing Jean and Emma’s relationship evolve into a friendship, which ideally would take time (and nuance) to develop. Nevertheless, their shared history has all of the ingredients that would make for a complex and realistic friendship.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Let me cite Oxford’s definition, which, for the most part, I agree with:

friend — a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically exclusive of sexual or family relations.

However, friendship is not just about two people knowing and feeling affection for one another; it also entails profound acceptance of one another’s flaws and weaknesses. Moreover, I believe it possible for people who are vastly different and diametrically opposed—even enemies—to become friends. Admittedly, I am an optimist.

Keep in mind, I suggested that I would be interested in seeing Jean and Emma’s relationship evolve into a friendship, which ideally would take time (and nuance) to develop. Nevertheless, their shared history has all of the ingredients that would make for a complex and realistic friendship.
    Well, then for you it makes sense. It doesn't for me.

I don't want to come across as rude, but I really don't want to discuss it. Please, don't insist.

Well, then for you it makes sense. It doesn't for me.

I don't want to come across as rude, but I really don't want to discuss it. Please, don't insist.
    Oh, I’m certainly going to insist. I don’t want to debate the matter; I’m just curious to read your opinion. DM me.

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    (also why is Forge a Phoenix expert lol who gave him the degree).
    Tony Stark .

Also, I started a thread of Jean overpowering some of the most powerful men of Marvel:

https://twitter.com/Jean_RED_Grey/st...45741519859719
    Seeing that Hulk one, I can see why they buffed his telepathy resistance at some point, 'cause otherwise, if a telepath is around, dealing with him would be like dealing with Juggernaut without a helmet.

That Galactus one, I feel like it's kinda iffy, but then again Galactus gets jobbed at random because comic books... At least, he "only" got knocked down and not defeated, so Jean is showing she's strong without Galactus looking that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Extraordinary Member

Mercury the list is on point and a fantastic depiction of Jean but is that Knull sarcasm?

Because she was on the ground drooling by an overload and Knull wasn't even damaged by that in the slightest

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Mercury the list is on point and a fantastic depiction of Jean but is that Knull sarcasm?

Because she was on the ground drooling by an overload and Knull wasn't even damaged by that in the slightest
    no. why? She freed the Avengers and X-Men from Knull's influence, organized and lead a counter-attack on him, and managed to get valuable informations out of his brain. Her attack on Knull was marvelous. My favorite Jean moment in 2021.

Spectacular Member

I don't want them to be friends. I just want them to be professional around each other. And that includes *no* snarky remarks.

I wish I could repeat it like a mantra to every writer (not just comic book ones): adult women do *not* talk like that!
    This exactly. I don't want Jean to be friend with Emma after all the suffering she has caused her.
    They can be professional and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dam View Post
    This exactly. I don't want Jean to be friend with Emma after all the suffering she has caused her.
    They can be professional and that's it.
    agree with this 100 percent. I also think it is super questionable with Kitty Pryde but at least they took their time and developed the relationship.
    Last edited by Exodus; 01-27-2022 at 01:09 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    no. why? She freed the Avengers and X-Men from Knull's influence, organized and lead a counter-attack on him, and managed to get valuable informations out of his brain. Her attack on Knull was marvelous. My favorite Jean moment in 2021.
    She didn't overpower Knull though, she got overwhelmed

And Dylan freed them, Jean herself said "Yes!You're doing it!You're freeing them" Why you acting like Jean freed them? I have KIB 4 opened up rn just to double check.

Oh and btw it's a weakend Knull who lost his connection to the celestial that was giving him power

It's a great moment(one of my favs) but doesn't fit on that thread

She didn't overpower Knull though, she got overwhelmed

And Dylan freed them, Jean herself said "Yes!You're doing it!You're freeing them" Why you acting like Jean freed them? I have KIB 4 opened up rn just to double check.

Oh and btw it's a weakend Knull who lost his connection to the celestial that was giving him power

It's a great moment(one of my favs) but doesn't fit on that thread
    I guess we have to agree to disagree then. It fits perfectly Mercury's thread in my eyes.
    Last edited by Exodus; 01-27-2022 at 01:46 AM.

Haters have been trying to eliminate Jean for rounds. If you think this kind of poll is fun (or you're like me and once you help out you keep doing it until it's over), please, vote another mutant out to help our girl survive another round:

https://strawpoll.com/sb4bz9c6a

Extraordinary Member

Haters have been trying to eliminate Jean for rounds. If you think this kind of poll is fun (or you're like me and once you help out you keep doing it until it's over), please, vote another mutant out to help our girl survive another round:

https://strawpoll.com/sb4bz9c6a
    Will do but what is this anyway?

Will do but what is this anyway?
    Just a silly game, really. Each round one mutant gets eliminated. Who wins? That's all.

EDITED: the actual thread for this round is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/xmen/commen..._after_barely/

Do you think it impossible or unrealistic for Jean and Emma's relationship to evolve into an actual friendship?
    If Scott and Logan can do it Jean and Emma can as well, but it will take more work to get there. Canonically, Logan never succeeded with his attempts to get with Jean until after Krakoa happened and the relationship became more open - whereas Emma managed to actually do an injury. Plus they have their own reasons to dislike each other independent of romantic rivalries.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 01-27-2022 at 02:59 AM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    If Scott and Logan can do it Jean and Emma can as well, but it will take more work to get there. Canonically, Logan never succeeded with his attempts to get with Jean until after Krakoa happened and the relationship became more open - whereas Emma managed to actually do an injury. Plus they have their own reasons to dislike each other independent of romantic rivalries.
    Emma was one of the reasons why Jean Grey became Dark Phoenix?! How can you forgive that?