Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Every single character in the MCU quips which is one of Spiderman major things so its pretty much a hit or miss depending on the individual who is watching the movie. I know most of the jokes are a miss for me. Although in Civil War Falcon comment he does talk a lot but the writers from civil war arent the same as homecoming I believe. I could see why you think they toned down Spiderman to further develop Iron Man. But I'm pretty sure after Avengers 4 if they write off Tony by death or retirement and Sony will continue to allow Spiderman to be with Marvel, maybe he will start getting a bigger spotlight in the MCU I mean so far in Far From Home the only other major MCU character involved is Nick Fury and I doubt many will be bothered by that. Although I think Marvel is making Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Doctor Strange the new trio until Spiderman finishes his high school arc possibly.
    I think that's part of it in that so many MCU heroes quip ad-nauseam that it's hard for Spidey to really stand out among the crowd in that regard even if quipping has always been more his thing then anyone else's.

It also probably doesn't help that they can't seem to write good jokes for him in the Avengers movies that don't involve pop culture references.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It also probably doesn't help that they can't seem to write good jokes for him in the Avengers movies that don't involve pop culture references.
    that stuff is also hard to write when you've got talent like rdjr improvising on the go. paltrow could barely keep up with him.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    It's entirely possible for a person to purchase a ticket to see a movie . . . and then not like the movie.

People in the thread were using the box office to mean people liked the movie. Then positive reaction on the internet (ie Rotten Tomatoes viewer rating) was used.

I never questioned the box office. That would be weird.

(I think it might be important to note that I do not care if the movie is considered a success or not. I have no dog in that fight. I just know that movies that get low aggregate reviews often not well-liked by audiences and put people off seeing sequels.)
    All I'm saying is as far as "Sony" is concerned, the numbers are good enough to justify a sequel, regardless of the divisiveness of the movie-goers.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    It's entirely possible for a person to purchase a ticket to see a movie . . . and then not like the movie.

People in the thread were using the box office to mean people liked the movie. Then positive reaction on the internet (ie Rotten Tomatoes viewer rating) was used.
    But the Box Office is often a good indicator of ppl enjoying a movie or not, that's why the second weekend is important. If the ppl who watched the movie would've found it as bad as the reviewers were claiming it was, then the bad word of mouth would've killed it, but it only had a 55% drop in the second weekend, and another good drop in the third, so that means ppl were actually saying good things about it after seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "hey guys.. you ever seen that really old movie?..."

BANNED

If Sony does indeed plan to remove Spider-Man from the MCU and put him back into their wing they have better put their shit together and start making good movies again.
    Venom's success doesn't mean anything solid and we all remember how childish and unprofessional Sony behave with Spider-Man 4 and Amazing Spider-Man 3.

The current deal is so sweet for Sony (all the profit, none of the real risk) that it would take a massive ego involved to end the deal.

It would basically be a, "I can do it better!" type of thing.

It would be a really really really big risk.

it would also burn the bridge. You wouldn't be able to do the deal again. Unless they sent Miles over instead....
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I heard that Sony still loss some money despite Venom success. I dont think it will be in their best interest to remove him from the mcu anyway. Venom didnt beat Homecoming revenue so far. But its Sony and I dont trust them they might do something stupid like that anyway
    Venom was made for roughly $100 million, with probably an extra $50 million for marketing. There is no way that Sony hasn't made money on that when the movie has made more than $500 million, even with a third of it going to the theaters. It is probably approaching Spider-Man: Homecoming levels of profitability (especially given Venom still hasn't opened in China or Japan). The profit margin of this film is approximately $200 million already.

Now, I think the opposite is true though, in regards to the OP. Sony's last strike out with Spider-Man on their own yielded a financial result of a little over $700 million. Especially given that it cost almost $300 million to make it, along with marketing costs being quite high, that made it a financial loss for the studio. In three years, after the character was viewed close to the same way Batman was following Batman & Robin, the next Spider-Man film was released in the MCU, raising its revenue to almost $900 million, the highest the franchise has been sans Spider-Man 3. I wouldn't be surprised if, given that his film is the first film coming off of Avengers 4, that Spider-Man: Far From Home could be the first billion dollar Spider-Man film. The Sony films, on their own, were largely settling around the $700 million dollar range. If they can make money off of having Spider-Man in the successful MCU and make a separate cinematic universe that can also yield success without Spider-Man, I think they'll continue doing what they're doing. I think we have at least one more Spider-Man film in development just prior to Spider-Man: Far From Home getting started, with Sony probably looking at whether or not Spider-Man: Far From Home does bigger business than the first film to see if they want to extend the deal even further. This will get their ducks in a row for determining whether or not they want to try a contract renegotiation with Tom Holland. But I think that Sony, given Venom's success, even without Spider-Man, will be willing to continue the current arrangement for the short term (probably just an additional film deal) until after the next film in their deal comes out.

Of course, Sony does have the option to soft reboot Spider-Man into their universe, since Tom Holland does have an additional film left in his contract with Sony past the deal's expiration. That might be their reaction, especially given that they had wanted to strengthen their relationship with Marvel and place their Venom in the MCU firmly to go back and forth between those films. I would imagine that Sony probably wants to push for that in the next contract renegotiation. If Marvel pushes back on that, they have the option to take him back. But I think that Sony understands the beneficial nature of their deal and, if they can't add Venom to that universe, then they probably will be willing just leave them separate. A way of having their cake and eating it too, even though they probably would've wanted an extra layer of icing.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

If it means Sony will give in more easily than Marvel and make "MJ" closer to Comics MJ, then I'm all for Peter departing the MCU. Homecoming did feel very Generic Teen Superhero Movie in the MCU as opposed to a truer Spider-Man film. So relying on simply his own mythos and cast of characters would definitely help in that regard.

With all this talk about Sony, Marvel, the Spider-Man movie rights...I honestly don't know how I feel. I'm not sold on Sony's ambition to make a true cinematic universe with Spider-Man characters, and Venom was really mediocre in my opinion. But I'm also not sure if MCU Spider-Man is the best version anymore, now that we have the PS4 game which completely outshined ALL of the movies for me. If either Sony and/or Marvel capitalize on that version of Peter and his world, then I'm sold: but overall, I'm just confused.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    it would also burn the bridge. You wouldn't be able to do the deal again. Unless they sent Miles over instead....
    MCU Peter sometimes feels like he's a lot more in the mold of Miles' Spider-Man, so maybe this might work out better .
    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    With all this talk about Sony, Marvel, the Spider-Man movie rights...I honestly don't know how I feel. I'm not sold on Sony's ambition to make a true cinematic universe with Spider-Man characters, and Venom was really mediocre in my opinion. But I'm also not sure if MCU Spider-Man is the best version anymore, now that we have the PS4 game which completely outshined ALL of the movies for me. If either Sony and/or Marvel capitalize on that version of Peter and his world, then I'm sold: but overall, I'm just confused.
    I will say Insomniac Spidey was much more of what I was hoping we'd get with MCU Spidey.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Not sure I would use the word "yank" to describe a theory about Sony honoring their contract agreement with Marvel and then deciding not to renew it.
    Yeah any Spider-Man fan would say "yoink"

But I'm also not sure if MCU Spider-Man is the best version anymore, now that we have the PS4 game which completely outshined ALL of the movies for me. If either Sony and/or Marvel capitalize on that version of Peter and his world, then I'm sold: but overall, I'm just confused.
    I agree but I think there were interviews with Holland and Feige, who both said that this trilogy was overall Spider-Man's process in becoming Spider-Man as we know him. I think that Insomniac benefited from having a situation where they could start eight years into his career. Holland is still playing a Spider-Man that is closer to the Ultimate Spider-Man version rather than one that is even more polished than any we've seen before.

Still, I agree. I think the game did deliver the best interpretation of Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    I agree but I think there were interviews with Holland and Feige, who both said that this trilogy was overall Spider-Man's process in becoming Spider-Man as we know him. I think that Insomniac benefited from having a situation where they could start eight years into his career. Holland is still playing a Spider-Man that is closer to the Ultimate Spider-Man version rather than one that is even more polished than any we've seen before.

Still, I agree. I think the game did deliver the best interpretation of Spider-Man.
    And I agree as well: but I think we can both argue that the game stole the thunder of the movies in general.

And I agree as well: but I think we can both argue that the game stole the thunder of the movies in general.
    I think it benefited from being formed like a great season of television versus a movie. I think that the narrower scope movies have to have limits the amount that you can do with supporting characters. Insomniac really took advantage of the long form of entertainment that video games provide. The mediums are too different to compare fairly except insofar as we are going to talk about the interpretations and I think the movies and the game are doing different things, with Spider-Man in a different time in his life in both.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    I think it benefited from being formed like a great season of television versus a movie. I think that the narrower scope movies have to have limits the amount that you can do with supporting characters. Insomniac really took advantage of the long form of entertainment that video games provide. The mediums are too different to compare fairly except insofar as we are going to talk about the interpretations and I think the movies and the game are doing different things, with Spider-Man in a different time in his life in both.
    That's true. The movie series was doing a different thing. I guess it's just a bit disheartening to see so many people say that MCU Spidey is no more valid than PS4 Spidey.