Page 27 of 136 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    >How... painfully generic is that starship? There are so many cool designs that could have been used.
    It looks like the Normandy from Mass Effect. It definitely doesn't look like a Star Trek ship.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

While I agree that a full-blown TNG reunion would feel completely contrived at this point (and should have happened 10 years ago if it was going to) I will be livid if Sela shows up and Beverly does not!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    While I agree that a full-blown TNG reunion would feel completely contrived at this point (and should have happened 10 years ago if it was going to) I will be livid if Sela shows up and Beverly does not!
    It looks like the latest rumors are that Beverly is dead or presumed dead. Neither would preclude a Gates McFadden appearance but it certainly screams “We’re in no rush to get to that character.”

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Well, after perhaps taking a little bit too long to get to Soji, at least the latest episode made good use of its time and got Picard out of the cube with Soji.

Narek's feelings appear to be genuine, but not enough to stop him from doing his mission. I'm sure later he'll end up more conflicted

Intermediary

the theme music is fine, go pick on Enterprise some more ya bunch of malcontents

Im enjoying the show, its the dirty side of the ST universe, that the Federation is not the utopia you all thought it was

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    the theme music is fine, go pick on Enterprise some more ya bunch of malcontents

Im enjoying the show, its the dirty side of the ST universe, that the Federation is not the utopia you all thought it was
    DS9 was the frontrunner for this kind of departure from Gene's vision. Sisko complained that Earth was a paradise but a lot of planets in the outskirts of the Federation were troubled, and that since Earth was a paradise they had no idea how to handle those troubles. And then of course the introduction of Section 31.

I can't believe Picard just lost track of so many important people in his life. I guess they weren't important at all. And not realizing what was happening to ex-Borg for over a decade? I guess he actively didn't want to know because PTSD.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I can't believe Picard just lost track of so many important people in his life. I guess they weren't important at all. And not realizing what was happening to ex-Borg for over a decade? I guess he actively didn't want to know because PTSD.
    That happens all the time though, just think of how many people you were close with at school that you haven't seen for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    That happens all the time though, just think of how many people you were close with at school that you haven't seen for years.
    Yeah. Just today over dinner with an old friend, the topic of two formerly close friends from our circle came up. We didn't know what they were doing and it had been years since we last talked. And they were a big part of our circle a decade ago. Whether it's classmates or teammates or co-workers or just a group of friends, losing track happens. Even with social media and newer forms of communication.

Reminiscing is important, but here's another thing to throw in there: we the audience can easily relive those TNG adventures through reruns, streaming, and YouTube. They're always with us. But that's not how it works in real life, too. Picard surely doesn't pour over old logs on a lazy Sunday when he just wants to watch the 24th century version of streaming video. Those characters are important to Picard in ways that are fundamentally different than they are to the audience (indeed, in TNG and DS9, sometimes characters don't see each other for weeks on end because of missions, conferences, and vacations, but for the viewer it's only a week between).

---

Back to the episode, I love how this one juggled grimdarkness with genuine emotion. I teared up twice: my sadness and sympathy for Picard reliving his PTSD early on (with that brilliant overlaying shot of Locutus; trauma never really leaves us), and then the very real feeling of relief, reassurance, and reunion between Picard and Hugh.

For that matter, the latter may be my favorite moment in the show so far, and likely the most realistic, too.

Here's a deep pull: the portal technology at the end (like a less advanced Iconian Gateway) came from the Sikarians, according to Hugh. The Sikarians were in the Voyager first season episode Prime Factors, a race of storytellers that explored the galaxy via these portals rather than ships, at a range of 40,000 light years (again noted by Hugh).

Either this means the Borg rebuilt themselves after the Voyager finale to reach even deeper into the Delta Quadrant, or the Borg assimilated this culture at some point in a later season while Voyager was in the DQ, or that they assimilated some Sikarians (as opposed to the whole culture) or even that the Borg gained this technology after assimilating the knowledge of it from Torres and Tuvok.

Frankly, I choose to believe any explanation that means Voyager left an unintentional trail of havoc and destruction in its wake.

>The Picard/Locutus overlay was brilliantly done, and the ex-drones not wanting to let Picard 'fall'? Touching. Stewart's acting was spot on throughout, so tortured.
    >I mixed up the subspace catapult with the spatial trajector initially but I knew it was a VOY reference. Honestly though... The writers pulled that McGuffin out of their asses to get Picard and Android 18 off the cube.
    >A device able to instantly transport Borg drones 40000 lys and they haven't assimilated the entire galaxy? Really now. The reasons why the Borg haven't assimilated everyone are getting slimmer and slimmer, and they were thread bare before.
    >Of course Voyager left a trail of destruction. We saw 7 years of it! And I love VOY, btw.
    >Romulan Legolas is carving his way through his own people! He'd better survive. He's barely been used.
    >It was genuinely nice to see Picard and Hugh be so happy to see each other but...
    >Hugh is going to get tortured and dismantled, isn't he? Picard is leaving a trail of destruction in his wake. Data wouldn't want that.
    >Are the Romulans not giving the ex-Borg prosthetics?
    >PLEASE don't tell me Picard brings the unstable android and the Romulan Death Commandos hunting her right to Will and Deanna's doorstep. I really don't want to see them die.
    >Sexy Romulan Sister is sexy when she isn't doing incestuous things.
    >Sexy Captain Rios is sexy when he's half naked and athletic.
    >The sex in this show is SO sketchy. From the inexplicable 'relationship' between Romulan Super Spy and Android 18 to the WTF of Rios and Agnes hooking up despite it being a TWICE acknowledged bad idea with her in a fragile mental state? Sketchy.
    >Picard and everyone clapping after drunk and high Raffi destroyed yet another friendship? Really?
    >Why are they letting Raffi get drunk and high?
    >It is SO jarring and sad to have a ship of broken, damaged people in a Trek show.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I am noticing a pattern here that I saw Discovery, where instead of an ensemble cast a single character absorbs screen time. This makes sense considering the name of the show, but the supporting cast just isn't receiving as much attention as they need too. I get why they wanted Picard to be alone, but it really does feel like a waste. Why couldn't Ninja man join Picard and Soji either? It feels like the writers keep inventing scenarios for Picard not to interact with his supporting cast.

Discovery was actually better in this regard, as Stammets, Saru, Lorca and Tilly felt much more developed by this time.

Not that this excuses anything, but for the love of God, I couldn't tell the difference between Tucker, Reed, and Mayweather for the first few episodes of ENT. I just remember them all blurring together during my first watch.

Perhaps worst of all, Mayweather's such a blank slate that he's the same character in the first and last episodes. Virtually no growth or experience to change him, unlike the others. Then again, he barely had any lines, either.

On the same token, aside from the Captain (who usually gets the most screentime) and Mayweather, I feel like the rest of the cast had decent screen time, including Reed and Tucker. It's just that the writing was so bland that it squandered that time.
    Last edited by Cyke; 02-28-2020 at 11:57 AM.

The Hugh reunion is easily the best part of the show so far. It showed someone happy to see Picard, and recognized him for the good he had done. Also, the small moment of the FB not wanting Picard to fall was lovely. That's, I think, what a lot of us have wanted to see all along.

It's interesting that it's the Borg, who, considering how Picard feels about them, are the happiest to see him.

I would have much rather watched a simpler show dealing with Picard involved in the reclamation Cube, and his inner demons regarding that.
    You could still do a lot of what they're trying to do with the character, without the trail of broken friends, and breaking Picard himself.
    So much of what broke Picard hasn't been in this show. Including Starfleet, and that's who broke him! We're just being told about it after the fact, and asked to come along with a character damaged by something we didn't experience. His time as Locutus is something we did experience, and was a lasting trauma that while never a front and center storyline, still managed to hang around the fringes for the rest of the character's time on screen. In short, we would be invested in it, in a way I don't think anyone is with the Romulus ****.

They've done a couple of those cool overlaying faces shots now, but last night's was easily the most powerful. Was this directed by Frakes again? (I skip the opening credits after the Seven spoiler)

I liked this episode more than most (all?) of the others, but I think, in showing me something I'd been wanting to see, it showed me what I've been disliking all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It looks like the Normandy from Mass Effect.
    Wasn't one of the main complaints about Star Trek Discovery when people first saw it was that the aesthetics reminded people of Mass Effect more than Trek?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest