Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    Yeah, those did a lot to boost the status of the prequel era as a whole

Will the sequel trilogy get the same treatment? It's being handled so haphazardly, I don't know... A few years into the prequels and we had already started seeing things fleshed out with the first Clone Wars series, Republic Commando, OG Battlefront 2 and various comics. The sequel trilogy doesn't seem to be getting the same kind of treatment.
    We've been getting quite a few tie-in books and comics and a cartoon show (Resistance). The sequel trilogy is doing fine.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Spectacular Member

As a casual Star Wars fan I agree with Lucas. That said, the prequels were horrible, dumpster fire films minus half of the Phantom Menace and I don’t think many people out there would have rather he made the last couple.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Will the sequel trilogy get the same treatment? It's being handled so haphazardly, I don't know... A few years into the prequels and we had already started seeing things fleshed out with the first Clone Wars series, Republic Commando, OG Battlefront 2 and various comics. The sequel trilogy doesn't seem to be getting the same kind of treatment.
    Well the thing with the sequel trilogy is that Disney can cross promote the original trilogy era stuff as well as they're both rebels vs stormtroopers.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Part of the problem (I think) is that Disney didn’t give themselves much room to play in to give the Sequel trilogy such a treatment. While they have 20 years to fill between the OT & the current one, so little time has passed in the movies themselves that there’s only so much they could do with such a time frame opposed to the prequels which gave them much more room to play with.

Nothing but respect for George, but I take pleasure that now he knows how we all felt the first time those idiot Ewoks waddled onto the screen.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    The prequel era has become popular due to the fans growing up with it. It took a long time. All thanks to games, books, and a tv series all helping out. Give some time for the kids to grow up with the Disney Star Wars movies.
    I fully admit its a generational divide as to why its seems the PT is gaining more and more favour nowadays, but I think its a mistake to assume this cycle will repeat again. As other posters have pointed out, there just doesn't seem to be the same media infrastructure surrounding the ST as there is for the PT.

I would also point out that George Lucas specifically marketed those films towards children and Disney really hasn't for the ST. The primary draw of the ST is nostalgia, which obviously isn't going to appeal to kids. If you think back to the Phantom Menace, most promotional images for that film showed a young Anakin (most children's media features children as the main protagonist) and pod racing (kids like fast things).
    Last edited by Pinsir; 10-03-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Except there are a crap ton of people who don't think the sequels are disastrous...I mean I loath them and I'm thinking you do too but there are much more that don't.
    Yeah, I definitely stretched too far. People do obviously like the ST and I don't want to mitigate them.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Part of the problem (I think) is that Disney didn’t give themselves much room to play in to give the Sequel trilogy such a treatment. While they have 20 years to fill between the OT & the current one, so little time has passed in the movies themselves that there’s only so much they could do with such a time frame opposed to the prequels which gave them much more room to play with.
    I totally agree, having TLJ take place immediately after TFA was an odd choice. It gave little play room between for, cartoons, comics, games, and what have you. Also TLJ really didn't have that much in the way of incentive for toys and action figures. Again it all seems like an odd choice when you look at trying to push the story past the movies.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    We've been getting quite a few tie-in books and comics and a cartoon show (Resistance). The sequel trilogy is doing fine.
    There's a bit less of a gap to explore I think between the films too. The PT is set over thirteen years (10 years of Obi-Wan/Anakin training, 3 years of Clone Wars). The OT is set over four years so there's plenty of time to squeeze in new adventures with Luke and co.

The sequel trilogy is set over only two years-TFA/TLJ are back to back pretty much and ROS is supposed to be one year after TLJ. There is of course the big gap between the trilogies, and that's pretty much where a lot of the tie-in material is centered:Aftermath, Bloodline, the Poe Dameron comics, Resistance etc. but I think they're still holding off on a lot of stuff until ROS is out, hence why there's a lot of vagueness about Snoke and stuff. I think once the trilogy is finished they'll probably be a lot more sequel trilogy EU.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I fully admit its a generational divide as to why its seems the PT is gaining more and more favour nowadays, but I think its a mistake to assume this cycle will repeat again. As other posters have pointed out, there just doesn't seem to be the same media infrastructure surrounding the ST as there is for the PT.
    Really? While it's not a given that the new movies will have the staying power of the old and/or the generation growing up with them will become the major fandom voices down the road, I don't think there's any reasons to assume that the sequels will be remembered badly in the long run. Besides, the majority of fans aren't even reading the tie-ins and whatnot (even if I don't think it's been established that the tie-in program is lagging). Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I would also point out that George Lucas specifically marketed those films towards children and Disney really hasn't for the ST. The primary draw of the ST is nostalgia, which obviously isn't going to appeal to kids. If you think back to the Phantom Menace, most promotional images for that film showed a young Anakin (most children's media features children as the main protagonist) and pod racing (kids like fast things).
    Dunno, remember a time when it was generally accepted that the new characters were incredibly well-liked. Heck, I remember when #WheresRey was a thing and people thinking that LucasFilm made a mistake making Kylo Ren the face of the sequel trilogy (I think he's gained in popularity since, to be fair). However, I don't see any evidence that newer fans won't latch onto the characters and stories, the same as we all did with the Star Wars movies we grew up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    I totally agree, having TLJ take place immediately after TFA was an odd choice. It gave little play room between for, cartoons, comics, games, and what have you.
    I have seen analysis of the sequel era and it does seem like a lot of stuff is getting packed into the timeframe (esp. the era just before TFA, where a lot of stories need to fit into a small timeframe). We did get some tie-ins between the movies, but I don't know if we needed a lot. I mean,

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Also TLJ really didn't have that much in the way of incentive for toys and action figures. Again it all seems like an odd choice when you look at trying to push the story past the movies.
    New characters, new variants. Honestly, the selection seemed pretty comparable to the other movies at time of release.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There's a bit less of a gap to explore I think between the films too. The PT is set over thirteen years (10 years of Obi-Wan/Anakin training, 3 years of Clone Wars). The OT is set over four years so there's plenty of time to squeeze in new adventures with Luke and co.
    Most of the sequel trilogy stuff is things set before TFA (and that's getting a little crowded). As far as ANH, in Legends, that go so packed with stories that were considered canon then, that even official reference material admitted that the characters were "extremely busy" during those months (e.g. saying three years actually covered

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The sequel trilogy is set over only two years-TFA/TLJ are back to back pretty much and ROS is supposed to be one year after TLJ. There is of course the big gap between the trilogies, and that's pretty much where a lot of the tie-in material is centered:Aftermath, Bloodline, the Poe Dameron comics, Resistance etc. but I think they're still holding off on a lot of stuff until ROS is out, hence why there's a lot of vagueness about Snoke and stuff. I think once the trilogy is finished they'll probably be a lot more sequel trilogy EU.
    Agreed. That's actually a smart plan, IMHO; less chance of conflict and able to work with new info from the last movie, plus, an easy selling point for people who want more adventures with the sequel characters.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Nothing but respect for George, but I take pleasure that now he knows how we all felt the first time those idiot Ewoks waddled onto the screen.
    The Ewoks are saints now to BB8 and the entire last jedi film. its been 2 years so I can spoil last jedi right?

the random kids in the end playing with action figures about luke skywalker been a hero is the worst toy commercial I have ever seen. far worse than Groot dancing in GOTG. It made complete zero sense since the movie just destroyed luke's character so why do those kids think Luke is a hero and they need to keep his action figures?

Dancing Grout is always fantastic and BB8 is a great little droid. The story was unimaginative but I liked all the characters introduced in TFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    The Ewoks are saints now to BB8 and the entire last jedi film. its been 2 years so I can spoil last jedi right?

the random kids in the end playing with action figures about luke skywalker been a hero is the worst toy commercial I have ever seen. far worse than Groot dancing in GOTG. It made complete zero sense since the movie just destroyed luke's character so why do those kids think Luke is a hero and they need to keep his action figures?
    I think it's saying in part that Luke's stand against the Walkers-although somewhat fake-has started to inspire people across the galaxy to resist the first order and other oppressors, sort of reviving his "legend". I'm wondering if that's perhaps the key to the title Rise of Skywalker-that his sacrifice helped inspire the galaxy and allowed the resistance/rebellion to be "reborn". His legend is rising.

Really? While it's not a given that the new movies will have the staying power of the old and/or the generation growing up with them will become the major fandom voices down the road, I don't think there's any reasons to assume that the sequels will be remembered badly in the long run. Besides, the majority of fans aren't even reading the tie-ins and whatnot (even if I don't think it's been established that the tie-in program is lagging). Just saying.

Dunno, remember a time when it was generally accepted that the new characters were incredibly well-liked. Heck, I remember when #WheresRey was a thing and people thinking that LucasFilm made a mistake making Kylo Ren the face of the sequel trilogy (I think he's gained in popularity since, to be fair). However, I don't see any evidence that newer fans won't latch onto the characters and stories, the same as we all did with the Star Wars movies we grew up with.

I have seen analysis of the sequel era and it does seem like a lot of stuff is getting packed into the timeframe (esp. the era just before TFA, where a lot of stories need to fit into a small timeframe). We did get some tie-ins between the movies, but I don't know if we needed a lot. I mean,

New characters, new variants. Honestly, the selection seemed pretty comparable to the other movies at time of release.

Most of the sequel trilogy stuff is things set before TFA (and that's getting a little crowded). As far as ANH, in Legends, that go so packed with stories that were considered canon then, that even official reference material admitted that the characters were "extremely busy" during those months (e.g. saying three years actually covered

Agreed. That's actually a smart plan, IMHO; less chance of conflict and able to work with new info from the last movie, plus, an easy selling point for people who want more adventures with the sequel characters.
    Yeah-during the prequel era, the EU went a bit retcon crazy because a lot of the material contradicted what was established about the war in Zahn's novels, among others.

-I think of the Quinlan Vos issues dealt with the Noghri catastrophe from the books.
    -The Jango Fett comic miniseries tried to resolve the continuity issue about Boba Fett being "Jaster Mereel" (Although the storyline about his wife and stuff remained intact and was incorporated into Legacy of the Force).
    -Zahn wrote a clone Wars story trying to explain where the Spaarti stuff fit within the wars....
    -The Darth Bane novels tried to explain why the Republic had a military in the "Tales of the Jedi" and "Knights of the Old Republic" stuff but seems to have not much except the Jedi and local system fleets by the time of the prequels (Hence the need for a new army), and also why Palpatine and others seem to imply the Republic is only a thousand years old. I think the explanation is that basically Ruusan (The big Jedi/Sith conflict that left the Sith "extinct") was so bad the Republic pretty much had to start from scratch.

This is one thing I know, I've dealt in the buying, selling, and trading of Star Wars Merchandise since the early 90s. When compared to The Empire Strikes Back and The Attack of the Clones, The Last Jedi is very lacking.

The Hoth sequence alone bought so much to the toy market. Tauntauns, AT-ATs, Snow Speeders, Snow troopers, Rebel Hoth solders, Hoth versions of Luke, Han, and Leia. Heck even the huge Rebel transport ships were sold to hold action figures, There were entre Hoth playsets. Then the introduction of the murders' row of bounty hunters; Zuckuss, Denger, IG-88, 4-LOM, Bossk, and fan favorite Boba Fett ( yes his first appearance was in the Christmas Special, but lets please try to erase that from history). And along with Fett came Slave 1 too. Dagobah we got Jedi training Luke, a veriant of R2-D2 with a periscope, and the awesome Yoda. Cloud City with Lobot, Bespin guards, Ugnaughts, Bespin Leia, Cloud cars, Han in carbonite (no idea why it adds a link here), Bespin Luke and good ole Lando. And almost forgot a C-3P0 that came apart complete with a mesh back pack so Chewy can carry him around. and on and on.

Attack of the Clones had way more than Empire, the Battle of Geonosis with the new the new battle droids, clones, and vehicles and the share number of Jedi that I'm not gonna name them all. Differences in Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Padme even Jar Jar got a Gungan Senator variant . The arena beast, the war chamber members, Geonosian Warriors, Count Dooku, Jango Fett, and kid Boba, Zam, I really could go on an on there was so much. Then you look at the video games, that came from both movies. There has not been a big enough battle in the new trilogy to have it in a battle front game. Republic commandos, RTS games. Heck even the "Death Stick Guy" and Dexter Jettster got an action figures and there were not that bad sellers.

The last Jedi really had no variants Rey, Finn, and Poe were pretty much dressed in the same fashion that they were in in The Force Awakens. Same with Kylo, Hux and Phasma. Finn did get a First order Disguise and BB-9E was introduced. the Praetorian Guard were cool and Kylo's TIE had a neat look. The "Battle" on Crait had some some junky ski speeders, and the AT-M6 (gorilla walkers) but that was about it. Compared to the Battle of Hoth and the Battle of Geonosis, the battle of Crait wasn't really that much of a battle at all. No new real baddies were introduced, they were actually reduced. Rose, Holdo, and DJ were introduced along with old man Luke, and Just for Men Luke force hologram. Rose and Holdo were the toys that some the least. The best selling toy from The Last Jedi? The damn Porgs. The funny thing is going in there was a lot of hype for the Snoke action figure in his chair (with his yellow bath robe), after the movie was out almost had to give it away. And Canto Bight with all of its hype yielded very little yet took up so much time in the movie. It really feels like the Shadows of the Empire gave us more interesting toys than this movie.

The Force Awakens was good when it came to toys, The Last Jedi... not so much
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 10-04-2019 at 08:47 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting