Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Another thing is that Young Justice made me see what DC really is. Legacy. Marvel has reliability but DC is Inspirations and Legacy which I admire and find unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I think the Marvel movies will lose steam when the core actors move on, and they have to run replacements for Iron Man and to a lesser extent Thor and Cap. It don't make a billion without RDjr.
    THIS. When Infinity War is over, things will change causing the GA to get confused and tired. They had an excellent run but nothing lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandacrystal22 View Post
    Another thing is that Young Justice made me see what DC really is. Legacy. Marvel has reliability but DC is Inspirations and Legacy which I admire and find unique.
    Ironic, given what happened with Batgirl........................

The Marvel vs. DC thing has always been annoying. It's just that the mixed reviews and controversial creative decisions for Man of Steel made it much easier to tease the competition now.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I think the Marvel movies will lose steam when the core actors move on, and they have to run replacements for Iron Man and to a lesser extent Thor and Cap. It don't make a billion without RDjr.
    They will leave the Avengers characters for a few years and concentrate on other characters and then a reboot of all the various Avengers characters with new actors. Superman, Batman,FF,Spider-Man, Hulk, various X-Men, all of them have had new actors playing them and the franchises go on.

BANNED

THIS. When Infinity War is over, things will change causing the GA to get confused and tired. They had an excellent run but nothing lasts forever.
    Well, even if they just stop making Marvel movies altogether after IW (they won't, but if they did), that'd still be quite a freaking body of work - like around twenty films. That in itself would stand as a legendary pop culture achievement. That said, I think it's unwise to bet against Marvel finding ways to reinvent themselves and to stay relevant. It's easy to forget now but lot of people doubted that the first Iron Man would be a success or that they'd ever be able to make it all the way to the Avengers without a flop to derail their plans. Nothing along the way has been a sure or safe bet. So, I say it's best to sit back and enjoy the movies and not worry about how long they'll last.

I consider myself a Marvel fanboy and even I won't brand Marvel Studios without fault. There are some decisions that Marvel Studios have made that I do not like, execution of stories that I thought was stupid and movies that are just an unfunny joke.

The quality Marvel Studios has, that I do admire, is they really do care about the story they are trying to tell. Yes, the movies might not always be good or crowd-pleasing, but I believe in Kevin Feige. I think his heart is definitely in the right place. He's basically doing this with some major assets missing and the fact that Marvel Studios is basically the envy of other studios when it comes to superheroes just solidifies that faith I have. He has been involved in some major wins (X-Men, Spider-Man 2) as well as some major fails (Hulk, Elektra) prior to launching Marvel Studios. He let the creative people make some risky moves, but always wanted to have a cohesive universe that could not always be predicted.

As long as Kevin Feige is in charge of Marvel Studios, I feel they will get more right than wrong. Now that Feige is a little more free to do things as he sees fit, with Ike Perlmutter no longer the man to answer to, I think Marvel Studios has a bright future.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

BANNED

Kind of sad when you consider what we have now for DC comic stories.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I do think there's been a certain "Marvel can do no wrong" attitude in some corners, and anyone who does things differently (see DC's approach to their films) is wrong by default. And strangely, I find this attitude among DC fans more than Marvel fans. Perhaps its a jealousy thing and they want to see "their" company reach the same level of popularity?
    NO it's a case of Marvel being forced to use others since their big dogs were in other folks hands unlike DC who had 2 guys.

One had to take a risk on Blade, Iron Man, Thor, Capt America & GOG.

The other rested on 2 guys for the most part.

The one advantage Marvel had over DC (at least until CA Civil War) was who you saw in those films was the SAME person you saw in the comics. Same with the cartoons and most of the live action shows.

Antman was somebody from the comic unlike Catwoman.

Tony Stark is Iron Man with a semi modified origin Unlike Steel whose origin had to be rewritten to remove Superman.

No one will ask shouldn't Iron Man be Tony, if Rhodey is in the outfit-because we have seen him in both medias as Iron Man unlike Green Lantern-who did a movie about a guy who was MIA outside of comics for 25 years.

The Marvel can do no wrong will be tested when 2 CERTAIN movies come out-

Captain Marvel. DESPITE all these other female lead films-super heroines are being held back because of Catwoman & Electkra's flops.

Black Panther-how much pressure is going to be on this film? How many guys's fates are dependent on this film?

You don't give the GA enough credit...

bond has been fine replacing actors over and over. What effects the money made with bond is HOW GOOD IS THE MOVIE

If the quality stays up, Marvel will be fine rotating people out.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

This, and many of the other points you make about DC, such as how you have come to appreciate the "gods amongst us" idea, may suggest that you are really expressing your own transition of taste.

Of course I don't know if you are or not, I only have a few words on a forum to go on. But, I wonder if you can elaborate on what you perceive is lacking in the Phase 2 movies. Is it related to their complexity and their move away from powerful heroes and towards more nuanced and often grey-area storytelling more akin to comic books?

AOU was such a horrible movie that I lost a lot of my enchantment with the MCU. For the moment I am not excited for the future MCU movies. I'm far more excited for the Netflix series they're going to put out.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Phase 2 consisted of IM3, Thor2, Cap2, Guardians, AoU, and Ant-Man. By every single measure, other than forum fighting and fan boys, Phase 2 was a crazy success. They took 2 unknown properties (Gog, AntMan) and made them popular enough to warrant a sequel. IM3 and AoU made over a billion. Cap2 is considered one of the better CBM ever and was so good the Russo's got control over two of the biggest MCU story lines ever (CW and Infinity War). And Thor2, while definitely not a lot of peoples cup of tea, still made a lot of money and is still rated above average.
    Exactly. I couldn't have said it any better.

The "new" DC universe isn't even a freaking universe yet. It is one movie that is very decisive among critics and internet fanboys. There isn't anything to compare at the moment. They are taking a very different approach to Marvel and it may end up being a better approach. Or it could be a mess. Who knows because it hasn't taken off yet. Give it 5 movies and we may say, "hey, being super cohesive and having super control over movies is a great thing!" or we may go, "hey, giving directors a lot more freedom is a great thing!" Or, it may be that they both work. Gonna be awhile before we figure that out.
    Again, I agree with you here.

And Fox is just... kinda odd. There movies have been pretty damn good but they **** the bed with Last Stand and Origins and just basically wiped out their established universe in DoFP. When the own studios makes a movie just to undo stuff that is... odd. But I really, really like 5 of their movies. But they just seem to get overshadowed by the Marvel machine and the iconicness of Batman/Superman.
    Right now I think they're 50/50. I like their X-men movies, at least most of them, I agree with you on X3 and Origins, they were just god awful, IMO. But lets not forget their other franchise. Their Fantastic Four attempts were just all awful. But X1, X2, First Class, DOFP, and Wolverine2 were good. X3, Origins, FF, FF:ROTSS, and F4 were all just bad. IMO, they seem to be focusing on just the X franchise. This is just my opinion, of course

IM2 RT 72%, 6.5/10, 72% audience liked, lots of money made

Thor2 RT 66%, 6.2/10, 78% audience liked, lots of money made

There is a difference between "duds" and "not as good as the others"
    Again I agree. (been agreeing with you a lot today. LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Well, even if they just stop making Marvel movies altogether after IW (they won't, but if they did), that'd still be quite a freaking body of work - like around twenty films. That in itself would stand as a legendary pop culture achievement. That said, I think it's unwise to bet against Marvel finding ways to reinvent themselves and to stay relevant. It's easy to forget now but lot of people doubted that the first Iron Man would be a success or that they'd ever be able to make it all the way to the Avengers without a flop to derail their plans.
    Yep. I remember people were saying... "Iron Man will flop" it becomes a big success. "Thor will flop." It is successful. "No one cares about an American Flag hero" it is also successful. "Avengers won't work" third highest grossing movie of all time (at the time).

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Nothing along the way has been a sure or safe bet. So, I say it's best to sit back and enjoy the movies and not worry about how long they'll last.
    Yep, again.

You don't give the GA enough credit...

bond has been fine replacing actors over and over. What effects the money made with bond is HOW GOOD IS THE MOVIE

If the quality stays up, Marvel will be fine rotating people out.
    And yet again. I agree.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    This, and many of the other points you make about DC, such as how you have come to appreciate the "gods amongst us" idea, may suggest that you are really expressing your own transition of taste.

Of course I don't know if you are or not, I only have a few words on a forum to go on. But, I wonder if you can elaborate on what you perceive is lacking in the Phase 2 movies. Is it related to their complexity and their move away from powerful heroes and towards more nuanced and often grey-area storytelling more akin to comic books?
    Of course I can answer that. Phase 2 felt too Disney. It felt half assed in many ways since the first Avengers did so well. Too much slapstick made me turned off. I think Marvel needs DC for competition so that they can challenge themselves

BANNED

Of course I can answer that. Phase 2 felt too Disney. It felt half assed in many ways since the first Avengers did so well. Too much slapstick made me turned off. I think Marvel needs DC for competition so that they can challenge themselves
    "Too Disney" and "half-assed" just don't apply to the Phase II films. If anything, the Phase II films were more mature in tone (IM 3, Thor: The Dark World, and Avengers: Age of Ultron all being darker and more complex than their predecessors) and more ambitious in stretching into other genres (political thrillers, cosmic adventure, heist films) and none had no more overt humor or 'slapstick' that you'd see in the average Marvel comic.