Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Does Marvel have this problem?

Does their #1 selling solo hero (Spider-Man) routinely embarrass and devalue Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Black Panther, etc?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

Does their #1 selling solo hero (Spider-Man) routinely embarrass and devalue Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Black Panther, etc?
    Yeah, thats kinda my thing as well, Batman can be awesome without having to take dumps on his fellow heroes.

It's stuff like this that makes me really appreciate how much Justice League Action doesn't have Batman involved to the expense of the rest of the League.
    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

No, actually it's usually the other way around where they have their #1 hero constantly being embarrassed and devalued by other heroes or Spider-People .

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Look at it from another point of view. Wouldn't you also be complaining if batman didn't have a plan to take down the league?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Look at it from another point of view. Wouldn't you also be complaining if batman didn't have a plan to take down the league?
    Until Tower of Babel I never gave it a thought. I assumed Batman could beat some Leaguers but also get beaten too. I mean today you could never do Knightfall because I don't believe DC would now ever allow to see Batman defeated.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    That's what he does since Morrison and Waid wrote that terrible version of him is more like it.

Batgod is a myth.

Read the entire JLA run from 97 to 2006. You can literally count on one hand the number of times Batman saves/beats the Justice League.

Also the Justice League of America run starting in 2007....he doesn't do crap in most of the stories.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post

I'm sure Batman has lots of plans but what about the other Leaguers? Wonder Woman has been trained in combat strategy for decades by the Amazons. Aquaman is king of Atlantis and would probably be required to have contingency plans in place for situations like Metal. Green Lantern(Hal) is the leader of the GL Corps. He should also have some strategies ready for situations like this. Making Batman look like the only smart one on the team on a regular basis makes the rest of the League look like lesser intelligent beings.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'm sure Batman has lots of plans but what about the other Leaguers? Wonder Woman has been trained in combat strategy for decades by the Amazons. Aquaman is king of Atlantis and would probably be required to have contingency plans in place for situations like Metal. Green Lantern(Hal) is the leader of the GL Corps. He should also have some strategies ready for situations like this. Making Batman look like the only smart one on the team on a regular basis makes the rest of the League look like lesser intelligent beings.
    This reminds me how Thrones of Atlantis established that Arthur had actually helped develop his own contingency plans in Atlantis for taking out the Justice League.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    No, actually it's usually the other way around where they have their #1 hero constantly being embarrassed and devalued by other heroes or Spider-People .
    Which makes no sense business-wise. I doubt that would be the case if they were a distant #2 for a few years.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    How else would DC move mountains of this stuff?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Man, I would have salivated over that as a kid, even if it's way over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    They could just try to tell good stories and not pander to one specific group of fans.
    Sure, they could do what is suggested here by some all of the time: they could take the best creative teams away from Batman in order to pander to another character instead. It won't help the bottom line, of course, but...

As a fan of Batman and almost every other DC superhero you could name, I have zero problems with everybody getting to shine (as was the case when I was a kid reading Justice League of America, BTW).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Sure, they could do what is suggested here by some all of the time: they could take the best creative teams away from Batman in order to pander to another character instead. It won't help the bottom line, of course, but...

As a fan of Batman and almost every other DC superhero you could name, I have zero problems with everybody getting to shine (as was the case when I was a kid reading Justice League of America, BTW).
    Does it help the bottom line to pander to the already spoiled for choice Batman readers I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Does it help the bottom line to pander to the already spoiled for choice Batman readers I wonder?
    When he draws in more people to buy comics than the others, then probably yes. Now I know some believe that's only because he has a superior creative team or whatever behind him, but I don't buy it. It helps, sure, but he would bring in a lot more readers than the average bear regardless. That might change in the future (he wasn't #1 when I was a youngster), but it is what it is now.

So true

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    When he draws in more people to buy comics than the others, then probably yes.
    But thats the question, does he draw in more readers for this? Or is it just all the people over from the Bat-pool of readers thats buying this? I mean the ultimate goal should be to draw in new readers, not just move the existing pool of readers around a bit.