Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I was about to say - while we may not have ahead a 100% depressing Batman movie, the vast bulk have seen villains kill dozens if not hundreds, and we’ve seen heroes fall into villainy and death thanks to TDK, a film that ended with a pretty depressing ending for a superhero film in comparison.

And yeah, the last real change in one was the Schumacher films - unless we count the Lego Batman movie.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

https://streamable.com/rs4i8v

Exclusive Clip from Batman. SPOILERS!
    Last edited by Vishop; 01-22-2022 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    https://streamable.com/rs4i8v

Exclusive Clip from Batman. SPOILERS!
    Man, Bruce seems so out of it up until he realizes the car was coming for the kid.

Incredible Member

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, that feels like a great mix of Keaton’s fairly weird Bruce Wayne, BTAS-style storytelling, and a Nolan Joker repackaged as Riddler.

I have no problem with that.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Man, Bruce seems so out of it up until he realizes the car was coming for the kid.
    Not sure what you mean by this to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    I mean, Batman's the only one who's been successful with a variety of tones. Sure, some can try and write off Adam West Batman by saying "It was only popular for two years", but that ignores the continued years of popularity the show had through syndicated reruns. We can try and write off The Brave and The Bold cartoon by saying it wasn't as popular as BTAS, but then again, no Batman cartoon has been as popular as BTAS, not even the "dark" ones. At the end of the day, TB&TB was successful in it's own right.

But he has gotten away with it. We haven't seen a light hearted Batflick in 25 years. We're about to get Grimdark Batfilms for most of this decade.
    Lots of heroes have or could be successful in a variety of tones who's to say a dark Spider-Man movie wouldn't be just as popular as the lighter ones? We'll never know because I can't see Sony or Marvel ever making one. My point isn't to say dark Batman Good, Light Batman Bad but certain franchises work best in certain tones when it comes to how the general public prefers them.

We haven't gotten a light Batman movie since 1997 but we haven't gotten a dark Spider-Man movie ever, no dark MCU movies ever, MOS was the 1st time in his decades long cinematic history there was a dark Superman movie and because of the backlash to it we'll likely never see one again. I know Batman is malleable and works in a variety of tones but so do other heroes. There's no reason he's the only one who should be expected to switch tones while no one else has to.
    Last edited by The True Detective; 01-23-2022 at 12:41 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Styles View Post
    The clip's not the best quality but the content is great! Really gives you a flavor of the kind of Gotham, and the kind of Batman, that this movie is going to give us.

I agree that it feels like a mash-up between Burton's Batman and the Nolanverse. Pattison's Bruce feels like a younger and more intense version of Keaton's Bruce. The bit where he overhears Gordon talking about an incident is almost certainly a nod to the bit in Batman '89 where Keaton's Bruce monitors Gordon's conversations about Jack Napier through the security footage. Bruce standing around during a violent situation pretty unfazed by what's unfolding in front of him is also very reminiscent of that movie. At the same time, the overall tone and rhythm of that scene wouldn't be out of place in TDK.

Jeffrey Wright's absolutely nailed Year One-era Gordon.

Also loved the bit where Bruce, who on the surface seems pretty detached from everything, seems so focused momentarily on the kid at the funeral who's mourning his father. A brief moment where the mask drops and the orphaned child beneath the reclusive billionaire and undercover vigilante shows.

Not sure what you mean by this to be honest
    He just seems fairly detached, barely responding or acknowledging the people who talk to or react to him, like a part of him isn't there (which I guess in this context it isn't) and his only real regard is the kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Lots of heroes have or could be successful in a variety of tones who's to say a dark Spider-Man movie wouldn't be just as popular as the lighter ones? We'll never know because I can't see Sony or Marvel ever making one. My point isn't to say dark Batman Good, Light Batman Bad but certain franchises work best in certain tones when it comes to how the general public prefers them.

We haven't gotten a light Batman movie since 1997 but we haven't gotten a dark Spider-Man movie ever, no dark MCU movies ever, MOS was the 1st time in his decades long cinematic history there was a dark Superman movie and because of the backlash to it we'll likely never see one again. I know Batman is malleable and works in a variety of tones but so do other heroes. There's no reason he's the only one who should be expected to switch tones while no one else has to.
    I don't think it's an expectation so much as just a preference.

BANNED

He just seems fairly detached, barely responding or acknowledging the people who talk to or react to him, like a part of him isn't there (which I guess in this context it isn't) and his only real regard is the kid.

Welp he did seem like he was trying to relate to that kid whose parents had similar fate like him. I think it's nice to humanise him more

I get that, but my preference is that as long as he's the only superhero they'll make "dark" movies of, then I only want him in dark movies. I'd be open to a lighter Batman film if another hero was allowed to get a dark movie, but with Wolverine and the other X-Men back in the MCU, and Blade in the MCU, and Punisher out of Netflix to maybe show up in the MCU, and the whole mess of the DCEU, there's no one else getting movies of this nature. For variety in the genre Batman should stay dark.

Welp he did seem like he was trying to relate to that kid whose parents had similar fate like him. I think it's nice to humanise him more
    Yeah, but he seemed checked out to everybody else, which is my point. I get that he empathized with the kids but it doesn't seem like he's a "people" person in general.

I don't know if they'll mention Lucius but I'm curious how they'll address Wayne Enterprises.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I get that, but my preference is that as long as he's the only superhero they'll make "dark" movies of, then I only want him in dark movies. I'd be open to a lighter Batman film if another hero was allowed to get a dark movie, but with Wolverine and the other X-Men back in the MCU, and Blade in the MCU, and Punisher out of Netflix to maybe show up in the MCU, and the whole mess of the DCEU, there's no one else getting movies of this nature. For variety in the genre Batman should stay dark.
    I'm good with variety, but I also want variety in Batman too. But I guess we might get that on an animated front.

BANNED

Yeah, but he seemed checked out to everybody else, which is my point. I get that he empathized with the kids but it doesn't seem like he's a "people" person in general.

I don't know if they'll mention Lucius but I'm curious how they'll address Wayne Enterprises.

I'm good with variety, but I also want variety in Batman too. But I guess we might get that on an animated front.
    That explains a lot about his anger issues and rage inside him since his childhood. Young Bruce Wayne isn't exactly a charismatic, pretentious and charity character back until he became more older

That explains a lot about his anger issues and rage inside him since his childhood. Young Bruce Wayne isn't exactly a charismatic, pretentious and charity character back until he became more older
    Kind of depends which version of Bruce we're talking about.

Extraordinary Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up taking a page out of the Bronze Age and having this Bruce move away from the Wayne Enterprises as his fake day job and actually dedicate himself even publicly to the Wayne Foundation instead, complete with the cool office.

It would be a relatively subtle but heartwarming maturation for him.