BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Comics N' Toons View Post
    Serious Q? IF the Dems win Georgia and Dems take the Senate, what do you think is the probability that we get progressive sweeping reforms set into law?
    First let them win.

My wish list includes...
    My wish list starts with them winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Dave Wasserman editor of Cook Political Report is calling Warnock/Loeffler in favor of Warnock

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/statu...900417536?s=20
    I'd wait for Mishkin to call this.

Don't know how I feel about this, I almost don't want to hope.
    Same here.

Astonishing Member

Trump tweeting conspiracy theories already.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Doubtful because any real reform goes through Manchin. The true advantage is getting floor votes as McConnell can’t block everything. 2k stimulus checks likely hit a floor vote and there will be R’s who are too vulnerable to vote against it
    Exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by Comics N' Toons View Post
    Serious Q? IF the Dems win Georgia and Dems take the Senate, what do you think is the probability that we get progressive sweeping reforms set into law?

My wish list includes: improvements to capitalism... a stronger safety net that includes UBI on top of existing social programs, Medicare4All, and a bunch of other things. That said... for the immediate moment, we need a monthly stipend for as long as the economy closes!
    Even without Manchin playing in, I'd believe this administration is serious about that when I saw it actually happening.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    This must be how those Romans and others felt when they interpreted good omens by reading entrails.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Still, I thought if there was one core political "religion" among the people who control the Republican Party it was that they were committed to following and respecting the Constitution (at least as they interpret it) and the vision of the Founding Fathers. I think many of them, if asked, would tell you that they still do. These past few months have shown that they have about as much respect for the Constitution as they do for Pro-Life voters, Tea-Partiers, or whatever/whoever else gets them what they want.
    Decades of neoliberalism have led people to underwrite the role of ideology in people's political thinking and process.

People repeated the "end of history" crap so often so long that it became hard to recognize reality.

The truth is that the GOP collectively do believe in a very right-wing reactionary set of values that cohere around white supremacy and patriarchy and heteronormativity. There are occassional tokens, and we have female republicans but that's not unusual or atypical.

The ideology is real, as is apparent in the fact that the vast majority of politicians who have died of COVID including one two or three weeks back are Republicans, majority of whom don't recant or convert on deathbed. Even in the face of death they don't compromise or reject what seems to everyone to be false gods...so that means that they in fact do believe in those gods.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    If this holds out Biden needs to put Stacy Abrams in charge of the DNC, or at least in a position to try and repeat this feat in some other southern states. Maybe retake NC, or finally realize that pipe dream of flipping Texas.
    The DNC chairmanship are elected, not handed out by leadership, and Abrams still wants to be Georgia's governor.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 01-05-2021 at 09:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    The DNC chairmanship are elected, not handed out by leadership, and Abrams still wants to be Georgia's governor.
    If the Dems win...she in essence is already the most influential and defining figure in GA politics far more than Kemp has been or will be.

That bit where Napoleon says in TOTAL WAR: "Some spend their lives in the shades of olive trees. Some change the world, even in defeat."
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 01-05-2021 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    I'm sure none of them will be that he undermined the whole process by convincing Republicans it was all rigged against them since that would be the truth.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I'm sure none of them will be that he undermined the whole process by convincing Republicans it was all rigged against them since that would be the truth.
    If the Dems pull this off tonight a huge amount of blame falls on Trump’s shoulders for casting doubt on the GOP and the election. He may have done it on purpose to punish the republicans who did not want to declare him dictator and officially destroy the constitution. Yeah, how dare they?!? Either way, it would be another example of Dr. Frankenstein (GOP) being destroyed by his own orange monstrous creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    If the Dems pull this off tonight a huge amount of blame falls on Trump’s shoulders for casting doubt on the GOP and the election. He may have done it on purpose to punish the republicans who did not want to declare him dictator and officially destroy the constitution. Yeah, how dare they?!? Either way, it would be another example of Dr. Frankenstein (GOP) being destroyed by his own orange monstrous creation.
    Going to bed, hopefully by tomorrow there will be an outcome. So far it's real close, but it sounds like teh Dems have a good shot at this. If they win, I wonder if anyone will blame Trump?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ossoff is now within 500 votes of Perdue. I'd say it's over for Perdue.

Edit: Wasserman just called it for Ossoff. Dems sweep the Gerogia senate run offs.

Ultimate Member

If the Dems sweep Georgia then they can thank Trump for this total disaster.

Although it must be said that Perdue and Loeffler being crooks (and I mean that literally and not as a smear) didn’t help at all.

Incredible Member

I have my fingers crossed for you my american friends! All of them!
    Of course it won't solve everything yet it's a start.

Astonishing Member

Statement from Ossoff’s campaign manager:

"When all the votes are counted we fully expect that Jon Ossoff will have won this election to represent Georgia in the United States Senate."

Yeah, it’s safe to say Ossoff expects to be victorious.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 01-05-2021 at 11:35 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member

CNN projects Raphael Warnock has won the senate seat. Now we wait for Ossoff to secure his victory, and the Dems take back control of the senate, and Mitch McConnell is basically fired from his position as a senate majority leader.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.