Page 44 of 100 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    At the time it was hard to enjoy it not knowing if Hopeless would kill her off with Arcade beating her to death with the Staff of One or some ****.
    I think it was obvious Nico, Chase, X-23 and Darkhawk were pretty safe bets to survive the story.

I mean the advance preview for Nico's ressurection in issue 12 came out before even issue 11 was out iirc :P

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    My only worry is that with the Eli thing we won't get that. But man YES! I would love to see a strong writer tackle the YA group. Maybe an adventure to get back Iron Lad? Or something to do with Kang?
    Exiles team-up? Iron Lad is part of that new team.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Arena is what made Nico one of my favorite marvel characters. Would you mind explaining why you didn't enjoy reading her in Arena?
    I just didn't like the way she treated Chase (no matter how is "yo" speech was). The way she acted after getting her ripped off might've been justified but how she acted after Hazmat burned the fruit tree rubbed me the wrong way.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    At the time it was hard to enjoy it not knowing if Hopeless would kill her off with Arcade beating her to death with the Staff of One or some ****.
    I can only imagine how on edge I would've been reading this as it was released. The only I probably would've thought was safe was X-23.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I can only imagine how on edge I would've been reading this as it was released. The only I probably would've thought was safe was X-23.
    Naw I'm kinda with Captain M on Arena's survivors chances. Not so much on Darkhawk but I was pretty certain Nick & Chase were safe. They were characters from this super-popular & critically praised series & it was something that greatly left an impact on the Marvel Universe no way they were going to be axed that easy. Hell as soon as Nico died I basically called she be back in 2 issues.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Exiles team-up? Iron Lad is part of that new team.
    Sure that would be awesome too. I kinda want a runaway based on the SW group that we had.

Still ticked that they offed mostly Avengers cast. It was a bad idea in the first place. Chase with the dawkhawk stone was odd.
    Last edited by Darkspellmaster; 01-12-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Sure that would be awesome too. I kinda want a runaway based on the SW group that we had.

Still ticked that they offed mostly Avengers cast. It was a bad idea in the first place. Chase with the dawkhawk stone was odd.
    ....Much odder than most would realized; for not did Chase ended up becoming a "Darkhawk"(Raptor actually), but so did Cammi {during the AVENGERS ARENA Series, of course}.

The thing I didn't like about Chase and Nico in Arena was their willingness to kill development arc. Like I said, I get what Hopeless was going for, it's kill or be killed yada yada, but for the established characters involved it was just off-putting. Not the killing people in itself, but fellow teens who you've been working together with. I personally just did not like it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by maxhilary View Post
    The thing I didn't like about Chase and Nico in Arena was their willingness to kill development arc. Like I said, I get what Hopeless was going for, it's kill or be killed yada yada, but for the established characters involved it was just off-putting. Not the killing people in itself, but fellow teens who you've been working together with. I personally just did not like it at all.
    Not like it lasted that long nor they enjoyed it. It was a realistic response. They only did it once they realized time was up.

Not like it lasted that long nor they enjoyed it. It was a realistic response. They only did it once they realized time was up.
    Nico came to that point towards the end yeah, but IIRC Chase approached her about the topic much earlier on. I may be wrong though, it's been a while since I read it. And yeah of course it was realistic, it's what the series was written for. It just left a bad taste in my mouth. Perhaps it was the execution of it; Nico suddenly grabbing Cullen and zipping away to try to kill him. There didn't seem to be much remorse there. That was my take of it anyhow.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Pax, just post a link, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    I would, but the last time I tried to post a link from a Twitter Page, it got messed up.....

So, it's better to leave it to the 'experts',right...??!?
    .....Well, here's another attempt of the latest upcoming Image of the Cover for Issue #8.......

http://pic.twitter.com/pH2Pnkf7VX

PS......And I bet most of you can't wait for the entire Image.......

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I finished Avengers Arena, I gotta say this probably the first I disliked reading Chase & Nico.
    Also just finished Arena, and I definitely found Hopeless kind of missed the point on Nico specifically. I didn't notice too much OOC in Chase. Definitely most ridiculous in my opinion was the fact that Nico didn't believe Chase when he said he didn't shoot Reptil.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I think it was obvious Nico, Chase, X-23 and Darkhawk were pretty safe bets to survive the story.

I mean the advance preview for Nico's ressurection in issue 12 came out before even issue 11 was out iirc :P
    I don't even know why Darkhawk is alive now, tbh. He still is a character that Marvel could easily kill... off panel, even. There wasn't any reason for him to survive Arena. And at the time, it really didn't seem like Marvel was very committed to Runaways. Sure, we knew by #11, but not while the series was coming out.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post
    Also just finished Arena, and I definitely found Hopeless kind of missed the point on Nico specifically. I didn't notice too much OOC in Chase. Definitely most ridiculous in my opinion was the fact that Nico didn't believe Chase when he said he didn't shoot Reptil.
    She did believe him but she was angry anyways, because of his attitude, the stress of being in a death match, the disappointment of losing their new allies and their only source of food. It was just too much.

In my opinion one of Hopeless' biggest strenghts is believable character moments and interactions, that Nico&Chase moment included. It might seem out of character for Nico. But it's an impossibly hard situation for everyone to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I don't even know why Darkhawk is alive now, tbh. He still is a character that Marvel could easily kill... off panel, even. There wasn't any reason for him to survive Arena. And at the time, it really didn't seem like Marvel was very committed to Runaways. Sure, we knew by #11, but not while the series was coming out.
    Honestly, Darkhawk's presence itself in Arena was pointless. If Hopeless was going to bring an adult in there, they might as well have used that character for added perspective to the characters and maybe him actually interacting with some of the teens and sort of "mentoring" them. But no, the only moderately significant thing he did in that comic was get taken out early and get his powers transferred to Chase, which was kind of a lame gimmick anyways. I do have hope for the character though. Based on that one-shot it seems Marvel might be doing something with him in the future.

I think the Runaways were still pretty much safe because they were still a team a mass of new readers in the early 2000s grew up with (myself sort of included, though much later than most), and killing them off would have led to even more backlash than Hopeless already got for the comic (just look at how much **** he got when Nico died).