Page 89 of 187 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 2791

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I really don't think that's true anymore. Back in the day, yes- doing TV was seen as a huge step down and many actors felt it was a career killer. Now, many film actors are getting roles on tv, be it network or a streaming service. If Wilson is a fan of the property, and if they can keep giving him a good story to tell, he'll stick around.

Especially on the CW, who have shown their talent tremendous leeway in their schedules to pursue other rolls. Hell, they put Supergirl into a suit with a mask to allow Melissa to finish her Broadway run. They've had to accommodate Stephen Amell for wrestling. Willa Holland asked for a reduced schedule, and they found a way to make it (mostly) work. And Wilson can still film movies during the off season of the show, especially if it has a low episode count. Katie Cassidy, Willa Holland, Stephen Amell and Emily Bett-Rickards all filmed movies during the summer hiatus.
    I mean, whatever my opinions of DC Universe, it's a TV show on a streaming service that's not HBO or Netflix and is airing on cable anyways, so I don't see a big difference.

It was kind of sad to see Justin reduced to a comedic role (was there even a point to have him talk to Rick when Rick didn't figure things out until he talked to Pat?), but I'm glad he's there for the finale. Maybe they have something bigger for him planned.

I really liked all of the Whitmore-Dugan clan, especially in their fight against Sportsmaster and Tigress. I kind of hoped Pat would tell Mike about STRIPE before the attack, but I guess Mike has to struggle to take it all in.

So the kids are going to be on their own during this, but I hope Pat isn't a mindless zombie most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    7 jokes about the ISA's mind machine
    -- Cerebro called and it wants itself back
    -- Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" called you and Cerebro and it wants both of you to cease and desist
    -- This is your Brainwave. This is your Brainwave on drugs
    -- This is the worst product placement for 5 gum ever
    -- This is the best product placement for 5 gum ever!
    -- Shock the Brainwave! (sung to "Shock the Monkey")
    -- "You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Did they kinda do a "I did it 30 minutes ago" Watchmen gag there??
    My mind immediately went to Cerebro in the X-Men movies. I was also reminded of Watchmen as well.

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    Way I see it there are three possible angles to play to counter in the finale.

1. Courtney's staff frees Pat Justin etc so they can win before the half hour is up.

2. The part of Henry Jnr absorbed by Snr fights him from within and protects Pat, Justinnand Barb while the JSA fight the rest of the ISA (who are now down a Fiddler as well as a Wizard and Sportsmaster has a masty injury to his back that he said is still hurting) while BW Snr fights the aspect of his Son inside him.

3.Beth starts hacking again and cuts off the satelite transmission of Brainwave, to allow the adults to rejoim the fight, and causes the machine to start overloading BW snr (that allows Jnrs mental self to escape and rejoin his body- maybe).
    Maybe it'll be 1. to free Pat and then 3. for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I don't know if anyone discussed this before, but Pat/Stripesy was very strong in the comics. I'm sure he would have squashed Sportsmaster. I can see why they didn't go that route, but even though Stripesy was the 'sidekick', he was the muscle -- Sylvester was the brains.
    Pat isn't superhuman, though, and considering the fact that he felt the need to create a mech suit means he thinks he's past his fighting prime.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Plus if Wilson was "too good for TV", would he have taken this part? It's not like we are suggesting that he be cast as Pat Dugan with no reason to believe he'd take the role. Or suggesting he carry the role over from a feature film he did. He accepted the role when it was for the very show we are claiming he is too good for.

I can understand worrying the show might take a budget hit and he'll balk at a lower salary or arguing that an actual movie role might take precedence, but assuming he wouldn't want to stay on the show now that it isn't on a streaming service but just network TV I don't get.
    I think it's more than worth noting the difference between 'doing TV' and 'doing network TV'. I understand digging a CW show or something, but you can still take note of the differences in production.

No one said he is too good for STARGIRL. STARGIRL as it stands now is a wonderful show, full of bold choices- but it is very much not a CW joint. Maybe you're right and the CW will be able to pull off something great for the first time in its history, just on the precipice of its own golden era- but it feels hella doubtful.

At least we had 1 great season, whatever happens. I'm pretty happy with the STARGIRL mini series.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-08-2020 at 05:06 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    STARGIRL as it stands now is a wonderful show, full of bold choices- but it is very much not a CW joint.
    Compared to the first season of most of the CW superhero shows, I'm not seeing it as an outlier.

One thing that people throw out when they want to dismiss a CW show, BTW, is that it has "teenage angst." Compared to the other CW superhero programs, Stargirl has more of that in one season than all of the others combined (which is fine, BTW, but it is amusing ).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Beth being on a computer hacking stuff is pretty darn CW .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Beth being on a computer hacking stuff is pretty darn CW .
    It's not even CW (though they are experts of it without a doubt ), but typical network design. It's kind of inconceivable not to have one in this day and age, too, because our lives are so connected to the Internet.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Compared to the first season of most of the CW superhero shows, I'm not seeing it as an outlier.

One thing that people throw out when they want to dismiss a CW show, BTW, is that it has "teenage angst." Compared to the other CW superhero programs, Stargirl has more of that in one season than all of the others combined (which is fine, BTW, but it is amusing ).
    I haven't used that criticism. STARGIRL is a show about teenagers, it should have teenage angst. I love Rick and his 100% James Hurley "gotta blow this crummy town".

I'm talking about production levels and quality. I mean if you can't see the huge difference in quality, that's fine- but holy hell is it there. Just camera work, scene composition, fight choreography, etc- it's a joy.

I haven't used that criticism. STARGIRL is a show about teenagers, it should have teenage angst. I love Rick and his 100% James Hurley "gotta blow this crummy town".
    It wasn't directed at you. It was just something that others have posted here, that's all.

I'm talking about production levels and quality. I mean if you can't see the huge difference in quality, that's fine- but holy hell is it there. Just camera work, scene composition, fight choreography, etc- it's a joy.
    I agree it's a joy, but I can recall saying the same thing about the other CW shows at certain times, too. The one that seems to be lacking most of the time, though, is LoT because they have to spread out the budget more between the super characters. It's gotten to the point they rarely use their powers anymore.

At least we had 1 great season, whatever happens. I'm pretty happy with the STARGIRL mini series.
    I'm in the same boat. I'm cautiously optimistic for what the CW will be able to do because sometimes they do impress (Black Lightning, the 100), but regardless of how it turns out this season was the best adaptation of Stars and STRIPE that I could've asked for

Incredible Member

I thought it was a great season finale and I'm prepared to leave it here, especially if it completely sinks in quality after the movie to the CW. But I can't believe they went to all that "I'm your daughter" stuff with Courtney and Pat, and had her give him her world's greatest dad mug and yet she still didn't call him Dad at the end? I felt like I was waiting for that the whole episode and it didn't happen.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    I thought it was a great season finale and I'm prepared to leave it here, especially if it completely sinks in quality after the movie to the CW. But I can't believe they went to all that "I'm your daughter" stuff with Courtney and Pat, and had her give him her world's greatest dad mug and yet she still didn't call him Dad at the end? I felt like I was waiting for that the whole episode and it didn't happen.

Now that I've seen the last episode, I'm deeply disappointed by the series due to the choices made. They killed the wrong people. Brainwave jr should be alive, and so should the wizard kid. And brainwave sr was taken out way too easily.

They dangle cool and interesting powers, only to have those people snuffed out. I guess they have to make sure only stargirl has any substantive flash. God I am so effing salty right now.

Maybe the writers did this as a reverse "women in refrigerators" since Henry is basically used as character development for Yolanda.
    Last edited by Sammael; 08-10-2020 at 01:32 AM.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Interesting finale. Lots to like and some stuff I didn't. It felt a bit rushed, which was expected. We could have used some of that cheesy joyride CG and screen time for more battle stuff in the tunnel.

Courtney put down the ISAers a bit too easily.

Mike running over Icicle was funny.

I hope Yolanda has some lasting effects to killing Brainwave, especially since she tried to bag on Rick for wanting to do the same thing. And that was a hypocritical switch from her. On the one hand I can understand things in the moment, the other, I'm like...why.

Rick not killing Grundy in the end was a plus for his character development I think.

Interesting teases for next season with Shade, Eclipso and Starman apparently being back.

I wonder what will become of Tuba Boy and Cameron next season and if we will see Gambler back.

Overall a great first season with very few missteps and I look forward to season two, just not sure how the execution will be.

Wait, so Christmas was only 6 weeks away? It seemed a lot "warmer" throughout the show.

Also, while STRIPE looked great as always, the CGI on Grundy was really lacking.

But aside from that, great finale, hope this family dynamic stays in Season 2!

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I like the Shade and I'm excited to see how they use him in this show

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Wait, so Christmas was only 6 weeks away? It seemed a lot "warmer" throughout the show.

Also, while STRIPE looked great as always, the CGI on Grundy was really lacking.

But aside from that, great finale, hope this family dynamic stays in Season 2!
    Definitely...it was unsettling how bad the design and cgi was on grundy considering how good it is on STRIPE....and hour man beating grundy? grundy is on the same strenghth levels as superman it was a little silly at that point. The ISA was beater a little too easily considering how much they destroyed the JSA all season...for the most part this was a good series but had some writing choices that i can't get on board with.