Page 254 of 332 FirstFirst ... 154204244250251252253254255256257258264304 ... LastLast
Results 3,796 to 3,810 of 4968
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Was that part of FINAL CRISIS SUBMIT considered bad? I thought that with the end of the world happening and all the inhumanity both shown and implied that their reaction to one another in that quiet moment was kind of ....beautiful.
    For Snapper, sure. For Cheetah she ended up sleeping with the Justice League's discarded mascot. Kind of a step down for Diana's archenemy.

Rucka has had some really weird ideas for Diana's universe that I can't get behind.
    Last edited by Robanker; 10-20-2021 at 09:14 PM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I like silver-age, truly, really good Pete (and I'm not even a silver age Supes fan). I like the idea of him ending up happy.
    That's a nice thought, but I much prefer realistic stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    For Snapper, sure. For Cheetah she ended up sleeping with the Justice League's discarded mascot. Kind of a step down for Diana's archenemy.

Rucka has had some really weird ideas for Diana's universe that I can't get behind.
    I think Rucka was just a Crack Shipper before the internet gave it a name, lol.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I think Rucka was just a Crack Shipper before the internet gave it a name, lol.
    He's a WonderBat guy, so I believe you.

We're all allowed a crack ship or two, but damn. Snapper Carr? Was Woozy Winks busy or something?
    May we never forget:

Yeah, but there was a documented attempt at trying to bury JLI and Snapper is Satellite era. He was a loser, but he was Didio's loser, you know?
    Yeah, I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Snapper Carr getting his neck snapped has an irony to it.

But nope. Rucka was saving Snapper Carr for...other things...
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Rucka's treatment of Cheetah across his two runs is like night and day. Liam Sharp's design must have really done wonders to inspire him, because going from "fucked Snapper Carr" to "horrific and tragic anti-villain/deutragonist" is quite a glow up.

Though he still continued his weird tendency to pair her up with side characters. Etta is at least better than Snapper or Zoom, but feels like an underwhelming consolation prize for Diana/Barbara not happening.
    In my head canon, that was Deborah Domaine and she was just 'filling' on Barbara while the latter was chilling somewhere else.

Rucka's pairings can sometimes feel like fanfic OC being paired with canon characters or just full blown escapism. The former definitely applies to Sasha Bourdeoux's romance with Bruce. Meanwhile, Cheetah, 'the sexy cat lady' gets paired with Snapper Carr who is basically an in universe fanboy and earlier with Hunter Zolomon which qualify for the latter.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Aside from Cheetah in his first run (which he made up for in his second) and the WonderBat ship teasing, I otherwise think his ideas for Diana's universe are on point.

The WonderBat shipping is weird because he's the only writer who goes for that who writes her character well. But his Bruce is pretty meh. He's like the anti-Bruce Timm.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Rucka's pairings can sometimes feel like fanfic OC being paired with canon characters or just full blown escapism. The former definitely applies to Sasha Bourdeoux's romance with Bruce. Meanwhile, Cheetah, 'the sexy cat lady' gets paired with Snapper Carr who is basically an in universe fanboy and earlier with Hunter Zolomon which qualify for the latter.
    Yeah. I like Sasha, but she may be the most prominent fanfic-ish OC pairing for Bruce we've seen. Silver would be the next one down.

And I like Silver too, but it is kind of amusing when a writer is transparently shilling who they believe is Batman's One True Love, and then that character vanishes when they leave the book and Selina comes back.

He's a WonderBat guy, so I believe you.

We're all allowed a crack ship or two, but damn. Snapper Carr? Was Woozy Winks busy or something?
    I think he only really shipped them in post-Crisis during the BN mini and because options like Trevor were off the table (because Steve has all the benefits people ascribed to "WonderBat" but with the key added benefit of not being Batman ).

He also wasn't really interested in romance in his first run.

Superman and Batman shouldn't be best friends
    The J-man

Aside from Cheetah in his first run (which he made up for in his second) and the WonderBat ship teasing, I otherwise think his ideas for Diana's universe are on point.

The WonderBat shipping is weird because he's the only writer who goes for that who writes her character well. But his Bruce is pretty meh. He's like the anti-Bruce Timm.

Yeah. I like Sasha, but she may be the most prominent fanfic-ish OC pairing for Bruce we've seen. Silver would be the next one down.

And I like Silver too, but it is kind of amusing when a writer is transparently shilling who they believe is Batman's One True Love, and then that character vanishes when they leave the book and Selina comes back.
    Rucka's one of my favorite writers so my teasing comes out of weird tendencies I've noticed in his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Personally, I don't care if they are friends or not. It won't make me pick up or drop a book.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think he only really shipped them in post-Crisis during the BN mini and because options like Trevor were off the table (because Steve has all the benefits people ascribed to "WonderBat" but with the key added benefit of not being Batman ).

He also wasn't really interested in romance in his first run.
    I think he would have gone for Diana/Io in his first run if he'd been allowed to go for it.

For post-Crisis and beyond Batman, that's probably true.

They were both better when they were friends though before Frank fucked it all up.

The World's Finest are at their best when they are best friends. Accept no substitutes.
    May we never forget:

The World's Finest are at their best when they are best friends. Accept no substitutes.
    They can be working friends or friends but best friends? No, not the way they’ve been written for the last 20 to 30 years. It just feels forced. They are DCs two most popular characters so let’s just make them best friends.

For Clark you’ve got Peter Ross or Jimmy Olsen, John Henry or literally a number of other heroes
    The J-man

Whoa.

That IS controversial! What puts you off about the friendship? Do you feel close ties between any of the Trinity should exist?

Barbara Minerva was very much a See It, Want It, Take It type of person. So it never bothered me to see her be so forward with Carr or the weird talking yellow flash guy. This character trait was how she got her powers originally

I think he would have gone for Diana/Io in his first run if he'd been allowed to go for it.
    Maybe but I got Io was more into Diana than vice-versa.