Page 43 of 183 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Robert Picardo had a cameo as another holographic doctor in First Contact.
    True, but he wasn't a DS9 character.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Anyone know if the prose novels have been given up on? It seems like they are publishing a lot fewer of them nowadays.
    The Universe they’ve been operating in for so long is about to get retconned away with the Picard TV series. It seems similar to the Star Wars EU when Force Awakens came out. I’d expect them to reboot the novels with the post-Picard continuity.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    The Universe they’ve been operating in for so long is about to get retconned away with the Picard TV series. It seems similar to the Star Wars EU when Force Awakens came out. I’d expect them to reboot the novels with the post-Picard continuity.
    In the past, the "novel-verse" has just retconned itself to mesh with the new shows (a bit like the pre-Disney EU). I hang around on a Star Trek forum that a few novelists frequent and I've noticed that they're not really saying what they know about the plans for the novel-verse future. I agree though, that it practice, it's either going to have to be rebooted from the ground up a la Disney Star Wars EU or they'll have to so retcon things that they might as well have rebooted.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Anyone know if the prose novels have been given up on? It seems like they are publishing a lot fewer of them nowadays.
    They were in a brief limbo during license negotiations between Simon & Schuster (Pocket Books) and CBS, but that was sorted out awhile ago. They still continue to publish trade-sized novels, but most of them naturally are focused on the most recent Trek series, Discovery. They have, however, announced books for 2020 covering various eras of Trek, including the Kelvin Timeline.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    They were in a brief limbo during license negotiations between Simon & Schuster (Pocket Books) and CBS, but that was sorted out awhile ago. They still continue to publish trade-sized novels, but most of them naturally are focused on the most recent Trek series, Discovery. They have, however, announced books for 2020 covering various eras of Trek, including the Kelvin Timeline.
    Thanks everyone for the info.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

The books/comics/games have never really been that much canon to begin with. DC's first series in particular was notable for kind of doing it's own thing, especially after Star Trek III, where they gave Kirk the Excelsior, Spock got his own command and Saavik became his successor on the Enterprise etc. Although eventually they had to put the toys back in the boy when Star Trek IV came out (Basically explaining that Spock had a virus that reset his mind back to the end of III, and Kirk had to break the law again to save him a second time, including leaving the Excelsior behind), although they kept many of the new supporting characters when they went on the A (Konom, Bearclaw etc)

Tends to happen with licensed fiction especially if there's a long gap between sequels. ALIENS originally had comics where Hicks and an adult Newt have adventures (Ripley eventually joins them after being separated and joining another botched marine mission) but Alien 3 negated that. Jurassic Park likewise had a bunch of comic series with the group tracking Raptors on the mainland. Neither of course fit well with any sequels, although Dark Horse attempted a "fix" by renaming Hicks and Newt in the novel adaptations and reprints.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The books/comics/games have never really been that much canon to begin with.
    Yeah, pretty much. The DSC stuff seems to be closer to canon, but even that seems likes mostly lip service (although I headcanon them as canonical until contradicted, which I will not do for the other tie-ins).

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Tends to happen with licensed fiction especially if there's a long gap between sequels. ALIENS originally had comics where Hicks and an adult Newt have adventures (Ripley eventually joins them after being separated and joining another botched marine mission) but Alien 3 negated that. Jurassic Park likewise had a bunch of comic series with the group tracking Raptors on the mainland. Neither of course fit well with any sequels, although Dark Horse attempted a "fix" by renaming Hicks and Newt in the novel adaptations and reprints.
    Got copies of the Jurassic Park stuff recently. The '90s Topps Comics stuff is very much an alternate sequel to the original movie. The first ten issues were about those raptors (originally these issues were renamed every few issues despite being one story, although later reprinted as Jurassic Park Adventures). They then rebranded as Return to Jurassic Park, running for nine issues, with a post-movie story that ended on a cliffhanger due to the whole line being canceled, with a handful of prequel stories at the end (two followed a pair of new characters on side adventures, while the last was a flashback to the park before the movie). A pair of short story prequels to the film in a zero issue and an annual with two more stories (a prequel about the park and a story about dinosaurs on the mainland) rounded off this one. They were pretty good for what they were.

IDW also did their own comics based on the original trilogy in the years betwee JP3 and JW1, as three miniseries. Redemption (about the Murphy siblings and another park attempt) was really bad, but The Devils in the Desert (small town dealing with dino attacks) and Dangerous Games ("The Most Dangerous Game" with dinosaurs) were worthwhile.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Merry Christmas Trek Fans

Merry happy, everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Incredible Member

Two More Live-Action Series In the Works

Two more live-action Star Trek shows are in the works. Speaking to a group of reporters at the TCA press tour (via TrekCore), Alex Kurtzman, the producer in charge of the Star Trek television franchise, confirmed that “There are two more live-action shows that haven’t been announced yet.”
    I hope one of them is a Pike series
    Last edited by Styles; 01-16-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
    Two More Live-Action Series In the Works

I hope one of them is a Pike series
    I hope they are both set concurrent in time with Picard or afterwards. The problem with prequel series is you can't do anything significant without causing continuity problems. But the future is fertile ground to do whatever you want which raises the stakes and drama.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    I hope they are both set concurrent in time with Picard or afterwards. The problem with prequel series is you can't do anything significant without causing continuity problems. But the future is fertile ground to do whatever you want which raises the stakes and drama.
    If it’s set afterwards, you potentially have the same problem.

I lean towards the idea of something set after DS9 in the Mirror Universe.

They’ve gone back and forth on that being cartoon-y evil and more a world of passions, drives, and desperation.

A Kelvin show might also be possible with the merger. I’d be tempted to advance the timeline a bit to Wrath of Khan era. Kinda depends on where Tarantino’s film falls but my recollection is that he said he wants to ignore the fact that it’s a different timeline (which Bad Robot signed off on) and treat the original series as having happened verbatim as it did in the 60s with whatever costume updates are in place also there will be F-bombs.

So I can’t see where you’d be constricted too much from just doing a Kelvin Excelsior show set there with updated WoK uniforms and just doing that without the baggage of knowing how it ends.

I could also see a modern day Gary Seven procedural, a show about the Klingons being invaded by the Hurq and discovering space travel, a Time Trek that has been on people’s minds since the Braxton episodes of Voyager, an Enterprise reunion mini...

Maybe a short run show set in the timeline where Edith Keeler lived, if that’s not too Man in the High Castle.

Rather than look for 7 season concepts, I’d rather see ideas set over 10-25 episodes paced out over time. Maybe something a bit like Rogue One during the Dominion War if deaging tech could be done well enough to allow for a few cameos.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    I could also see a modern day Gary Seven procedural, a show about the Klingons being invaded by the Hurq and discovering space travel, a Time Trek that has been on people’s minds since the Braxton episodes of Voyager, an Enterprise reunion mini...
    Ooh, Gary Seven procedural! And DS9 Mirror Universe! Woo, you have the best ideas.

I've been waiting for them to make a WB style Trek show full of hot young people called Starfleet Academy, all about a bunch of cadets up to shenanigans on the campus (and surrounding space, on various training assignments). Or one about Admirals and politicians hobnobbing and scheming at the highest levels of UP intrigue, in the style of those Adama and President Rosalyn bits in the last Battlestar remake.

Pike or bust!
    We know nothing of #1's fate or the fates of any characters or planets/races the writers can introduce. No danger to the timeline.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yay!

Yeah, pretty much. The DSC stuff seems to be closer to canon, but even that seems likes mostly lip service (although I headcanon them as canonical until contradicted, which I will not do for the other tie-ins).

Got copies of the Jurassic Park stuff recently. The '90s Topps Comics stuff is very much an alternate sequel to the original movie. The first ten issues were about those raptors (originally these issues were renamed every few issues despite being one story, although later reprinted as Jurassic Park Adventures). They then rebranded as Return to Jurassic Park, running for nine issues, with a post-movie story that ended on a cliffhanger due to the whole line being canceled, with a handful of prequel stories at the end (two followed a pair of new characters on side adventures, while the last was a flashback to the park before the movie). A pair of short story prequels to the film in a zero issue and an annual with two more stories (a prequel about the park and a story about dinosaurs on the mainland) rounded off this one. They were pretty good for what they were.

IDW also did their own comics based on the original trilogy in the years betwee JP3 and JW1, as three miniseries. Redemption (about the Murphy siblings and another park attempt) was really bad, but The Devils in the Desert (small town dealing with dino attacks) and Dangerous Games ("The Most Dangerous Game" with dinosaurs) were worthwhile.

Redemption is kind of interesting in that it kind of featured Wu involved in the new park; something we eventually saw with the Jurassic World series.

Kind of liked the annual, which if I remember correctly featured a Mexican biker gang battling a pack of Dilophosaurs.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth