Page 152 of 346 FirstFirst ... 52102142148149150151152153154155156162202252 ... LastLast
Results 2,266 to 2,280 of 5178

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Steve was meant to be a non toxic man but I have to side eye the way later writers have used him, like how in the 2009 movie his entire purpose is boiled down to telling WW 'not all men' are bad and generally 'putting her in her place'.
    And the mansplaining disguised as "oh you're new here and I have to tell you these things--but I'm going to leave out the part about how my people kill Native Americans and Black people. I'll let the Indigenous person tell you that himself. But it won't matter. You'll still love me and mourn my death longer than you mourned your aunt's, who you grew up with, versus me, who you only knew for 11 minutes."
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Steve was also irrelevant from 1987-2011. Some of us were born and grew to be adults in that period.

Steve was meant to be a non toxic man but I have to side eye the way later writers have used him, like how in the 2009 movie his entire purpose is boiled down to telling WW 'not all men' are bad and generally 'putting her in her place'.
    Outside of '09 when has this really been a thing with Steve in modern comics/media? Since as you brought up, he was irrelevant for most modern DC stuff up to 2011 and ever after that he wasn't in WW comics consistently again until 2016.

You'd probably find more examples of Batman and Superman doing that with WW than Steve.
    Last edited by Gaius; 08-03-2022 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    If that was truly the case, then it doesn't seem likely that they would have killed him in the first movie and then brought him back through some mysticism that implicated Diana in a rape scenario in the second.

And it's cisgender. It's a noun, not a verb.
    It’s a nonsense made-up word.

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    All words are made-up?

The only people who ever say this are people who hate transgender people. And I don't talk to anti-trans people.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

The only people who ever say this are people who hate transgender people. And I don't talk to anti-trans people.
    Pat yourself on the back, I guess…

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

And the mansplaining disguised as "oh you're new here and I have to tell you these things--but I'm going to leave out the part about how my people kill Native Americans and Black people. I'll let the Indigenous person tell you that himself. But it won't matter. You'll still love me and mourn my death longer than you mourned your aunt's, who you grew up with, versus me, who you only knew for 11 minutes."
    Why would Steve go through the entire history of America?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Why would Steve go through the entire history of America?
    That you would ask this question, and don't already know the answer, is instructive and evidence of my point.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

That you would ask this question, and don't already know the answer, is instructive and evidence of my point.
    No. Not really.

Oh yeah, great argumeent on your part

(I'm being sarcastic)

You do know that all words are made up, don't you?

With Zaslav gutting Warner and slashing things left and right, some have speculated/feared the actual DC comics might be on the chopping block.

Personally, I don't see it going that far, but suppose he did torpedo the comics division. As far as I know, the "Wonder Woman comics must be published or the rights go back to the Marston family" clause is still in effect. So, if DC folds and unless there's a re-negotiation, what happens to Diana?

For a start, when they say the rights go back, to what extent? I guess it's a similar situation as when the IPs become public domain, but what exactly goes back to the Marstons? What elements of her lore would still be regarded as DC creations and stick with Warner?

But the other question is what the Marstons could or would do with it? The obvious suggestion would be sell to Disney/Marvel, but who knows? Wonder Woman, one way or another, is a valuable IP. I don't know how ambitious or business savvy the surviving Marstons are, but there are other avenues they could pursue.

Again, I doubt this will happen, and I'm not sure it would necessarily be a good thing if it did, but one wonders.
    And imagine if Diana were to actually thrive afterward? How sad would that be...that all this time, it was just Warner/DC that held her back?

Incredible Member

Well Discovery considers Wonder Woman to be one of their most important franchises
    FZWIGcYXgAAMJNc.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    With Zaslav gutting Warner and slashing things left and right, some have speculated/feared the actual DC comics might be on the chopping block.

Personally, I don't see it going that far, but suppose he did torpedo the comics division. As far as I know, the "Wonder Woman comics must be published or the rights go back to the Marston family" clause is still in effect. So, if DC folds and unless there's a re-negotiation, what happens to Diana?

For a start, when they say the rights go back, to what extent? I guess it's a similar situation as when the IPs become public domain, but what exactly goes back to the Marstons? What elements of her lore would still be regarded as DC creations and stick with Warner?

But the other question is what the Marstons could or would do with it? The obvious suggestion would be sell to Disney/Marvel, but who knows? Wonder Woman, one way or another, is a valuable IP. I don't know how ambitious or business savvy the surviving Marstons are, but there are other avenues they could pursue.

Again, I doubt this will happen, and I'm not sure it would necessarily be a good thing if it did, but one wonders.
    And imagine if Diana were to actually thrive afterward? How sad would that be...that all this time, it was just Warner/DC that held her back?
    This is something I've wondered as a thought experiment, independent of the current Zaslav stuff, if DC ever failed to uphold the agreement.

I assume it'd probably be all the stuff Marston can be specifically credited with (Wonder Woman, the Diana Prince identity, Steve, Etta, Priscilla Rich, Giganta, etc). Of course Hippolyta, the Amazons, Themyscira, Circe, and the Gods are all public domain so they'd be fair use either way.

WW'17 was the first time the character was done right in a modern context but WW84 kind of pissed all over that by bringing back from the dead, .
    That makes no sense. Bringing him back didn't change his character. He was the same person.