Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1956

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1956 #1

Pressure is mounting within the bureau to uncover the Soviets secret plans, but a suspicious cover-up leads one agent off the radar in search of answers. Meanwhile, demonic Soviet occult leader Varvara pushes her team to follow her own whims, and Hellboy is sent on the mission that led to his infamous misadventures in Mexico. But even more clandestine plots are at work--both inside the B.P.R.D. and out.

* Three Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. storylines interwoven into an espionage saga!

Creators
    Writer: Mike Mignola, Chris Roberson
    Artist: Yishan Li, Mike Norton, Michael Avon Oeming
    Colorist: Dave Stewart
    Cover Artist: Dave Johnson
    Genre: Action/Adventure, Horror

Publication Date: November 28, 2018
    Format: FC, 32 pages; Miniseries
    Price: $3.99
    UPC:7 61568 00373 4 00111
    https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/300...B-P-R-D-1956-1

3002045.jpg
    Last edited by timbolton; 09-09-2018 at 01:00 PM.
    “Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons.” -- Hellboy.
    “Dude, you’re embarrassing me in front of the Wizards.” -- Tony Stark.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Anyone know how many issues this is going to run?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Anyone know how many issues this is going to run?
    I believe they said there were five issues at comicon

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I believe they said there were five issues at comicon
    Sweet! Thanks
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Amazing Member

So...question.

IIRC, isn't the "mission that led Hellboy to Mexico" some of the Anastasia Bramsfield stuff from the novels? I will admit I have a very fault grasp over that section of canon. If I'm right, though, will they be adapting parts of those books, or working around them, or de-canonizing the novels (if they ever were formally canonical to begin with)?

Quote Originally Posted by ckmoak View Post
    So...question.

IIRC, isn't the "mission that led Hellboy to Mexico" some of the Anastasia Bramsfield stuff from the novels? I will admit I have a very fault grasp over that section of canon. If I'm right, though, will they be adapting parts of those books, or working around them, or de-canonizing the novels (if they ever were formally canonical to begin with)?
    I don’t think Hellboy meets her until 79 or 80. So probably unrelated. Hellboy in Mexico has Hellboy briefly talking about what initially brought him to Mexico though. So I assume we’ll learn more about how the whole thing started, and who the agents who went down there with him were

I just found this issue in my LCS. First issue of Hellboy ever for me. I liked the writing, but was a little nervous at first about the multiple artists working on the book. At least they broke it up so that the artists worked on different narrative arcs in the book. Made the changes in the art seem less jarring.

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...-p-r-d-1956-1/

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    I just found this issue in my LCS. First issue of Hellboy ever for me. I liked the writing, but was a little nervous at first about the multiple artists working on the book. At least they broke it up so that the artists worked on different narrative arcs in the book. Made the changes in the art seem less jarring.

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...-p-r-d-1956-1/

This is unusual for a Hellboy book. Usually the whole mini series id by one artist. Do you know who are these characters are. There is A LOT of history to them.

For me, nice art, good set up, we shall see where they go.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

If the following issues are as good as this one this may end up being the best of Hellboy and the BPRD. I really felt like Roberson really struck a good balance between the plots here, and the scene about Hellboy and Mac was just perfect. I nearly cried.

I really enjoyed this issue. Bring on more 1956!

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

"Do you know who are these characters are. There is A LOT of history to them."

I've followed Hellboy since his earliest incarnations, but I've followed ONLY Hellboy--not BPRD or any related titles, unless, as with BPRD 195_, Hellboy figures into the story predominantly... so... I'd appreciate all 'side story' background anyone would like to offer! Thanks!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    "Do you know who are these characters are. There is A LOT of history to them."

I've followed Hellboy since his earliest incarnations, but I've followed ONLY Hellboy--not BPRD or any related titles, unless, as with BPRD 195_, Hellboy figures into the story predominantly... so... I'd appreciate all 'side story' background anyone would like to offer! Thanks!
    Hellboy and The BPRD is in the same family of books as BPRD 1946-1948 and BPRD Vampire. Right now the plot is focused on an “espionage cold war” between two American agencies, the soviets, and the british. This story is in the early days of the BPRD, before they become the world’s dominant parnormal agency/task force. The main conflict in this series has been between the American BPRD, ran by Trevor Bruttenholm (hellboy’s adopted father) and the SSS ran by the demon possessed child Varvara.

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/an...cult-cold-war/

this will explain it better than I can.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Hey, D.R.A.E., thank you-- this looks like a great source. Will sample through the week. Thanks!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

And now we have

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1956 #2
    Professor Bruttenholm sends two agents in opposite directions on off-the-books missions, while the B.P.R.D. loses sight of Hellboy as he wanders through Mexico, and Varvaras pet projects stir up discontent among her team of occult scientists.
    Writer: Mike Mignola, Chris Roberson
    Artist: Yishan Li, Mike Norton, Michael Avon Oeming
    Colorist: Dave Stewart
    Cover Artist: Dave Johnson
    Genre: Horror, Action/Adventure
    Publication Date: December 26, 2018
    Format: FC, 32 pages; Miniseries
    Price: $3.99
    https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/300...B-P-R-D-1956-2

Issue #3 is due out January 23, 2019.

Mostly exposition leading to...? Not bad, but not a lot happens. The future visions of The Center were a nice touch. The Russian stuff is redundant, we don't need to be reminded how evil Varvara is.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!