Restaurant that took anti-mask stance now says it will only serve unvaccinated diners

A California restaurant that earned attention last year for its anti-mask policy has taken its stance one step further with the recent announcement that it will only serve unvaccinated diners.

"We have zero tolerance for treasonous, anti-American stupidity," reads a sign posted on social media and on the windows of Basilico's Paste e Vino, a neighborhood Italian restaurant in Huntington Beach.
    The restaurant also said that it would be "requiring proof" that customers are not vaccinated, although it's not clear what that would be, and an employee told the Los Angeles Times that staff are not actually checking diners' vaccination statuses.

TODAY Food has been unable to reach the restaurant by phone.

I wonder what the Restaurant's Insurance Company thinks about this?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    As we see with Cheney and Kinzinger, for example, it is possible to be Conservative and Republican, and still be sane enough to be live in Democracy and the to want to protect the country instead of trying to destroy it.

Right now, that is the true litmus test.
    A test practically the rest of the Qpublican Party failed, and failed horribly if they're willing to flush democracy down the toilet to curry the favor of a deranged, orange skinned demagogue.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

As we see with Cheney and Kinzinger, for example, it is possible to be Conservative and Republican, and still be sane enough to be live in Democracy and the to want to protect the country instead of trying to destroy it.

Right now, that is the true litmus test.
    The thing is though that is not the norm. They have been attacked and turned on by their own party in not just the house but in the state level as well. The GOP right now still is firmly in the camp of Trump and his cult. It would be great to see a swing back in the other direction but I dont see it happening for awhile. Even people who had a small glimmer of hope like Mitch who spoke out after the 6th for a couple days and Lindsey Graham who did the same then you have McCarthy who also spoke out then went to FL to go kiss the ring of Trump. All of them fell back in line very quickly. For every so called sane Republican you can name there are a dozens you can name to counter that.

Im done looking at the glass is half full with the GOP The 6th and the reaction to what happened shot that to Hell. And the comments and attacks on the officers yesterday confirmed that.

Pretending the QOP has any intention of being reasonable is what got us where we are now and it will only get worse in the future I am sorry to say.
    Last edited by babyblob; 07-28-2021 at 05:52 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Lets be honest. Anyone who listens to these people and believes them, anyone who votes QOP at this point after seeing just what they are the last couple years. There is just no excuse. They are just the worst people. A person cant Back Green or watch someone like Carson and Ingraham and pretend to be even the least bit interested in humanity and pretend to be a sane person.
    Its not about economics or taxes or small government whatever I have heard people use as an excuse. it is about control, power and racism. Any one who denies that is a liar or an idiot.
    Pretty much, yeah. But the same narrative the GOP hit Democrats with Fox News help around 2002 through 2004 comes to mind. "If you don't support what we're doing right now, you're letting the terrorists win!"

The GQP are literally advocating for the domestic terrorists who lost to be released from jail and effectively go unpunished for this. Like, Democratic Party messaging needs to be, "No, seriously, they want the terrorists to win. They're having press conferences and saying it out loud."
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    A test practically the rest of the Qpublican Party failed, and failed horribly if they're willing to flush democracy down the toilet to curry the favor of a deranged, orange skinned demagogue.
    The others are still operating on the misguided idea that acting like Trump will put them in power and ensure that they get re-elected. Democracy doesn't work that way. In truth, most times it is a dice roil.

Demographics change over time, attitudes change over time, those people who are Trump supporters now might have children who will grow up voting Democrat [maybe they disagree with think parents, or to PO their parents or because they think their parents are crazy]. Old conservative people move away or pass away, new liberal people might then move in, or visa versa.

Politicians should never place their bets that their base will stay the same forever. Politicians should never place their bets that crazy is the norm (its not).

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Pretty much, yeah. But the same narrative the GOP hit Democrats with Fox News help around 2002 through 2004 comes to mind. "If you don't support what we're doing right now, you're letting the terrorists win!"

The GQP are literally advocating for the domestic terrorists who lost to be released from jail and effectively go unpunished for this. Like, Democratic Party messaging needs to be, "No, seriously, they want the terrorists to win. They're having press conferences and saying it out loud."
    I agree with this. But some Dems and Biden are so busy taking the high road that they dont get as aggressive as they should on things like this and it is hurting. Do what the QOP does. Play dirty. Go for the sound bite.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I voted fro Biden, I support Biden, and in nsome ways he has done a very good job so far. However, I do worry that maybe he's not on the ball about some issues. His chess game is off. My best example is with the Afgan situation.

He recently said that he was pledging support for Iraq even after troop withdrawal, yet it feels like he isn't doing the same for Afghanistan. And the issue with the interpreters, he never should have started withdrawing the troops until he has evacuated the interpreters and allies first.

The voting rights issue, Biden isn't doing enough for that. Harris isn't doing enough for that. They are moving too slow, the DOJ is moving too slow.

I think Biden is gun shy because of Trump. It's like Trump went too far one way, so Biden is being overly cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I agree with this. But some Dems and Biden are so busy taking the high road that they dont get as aggressive as they should on things like this and it is hurting. Do what the QOP does. Play dirty. Go for the sound bite.
    I agree. Biden's insistence on bipartisanship is particularly baffling, given how he spent eight years watching Barack Obama hold out his hand in friendship to Republicans, only to have it bitten time after time after time by those rabid dogs. Democrats CANNOT afford to place nice with the GQP who have zero intention on cooperating, or governing for that matter. Dems don't have the time to ride the high road either, midterms are next year, and if they were to lose either the House or Senate, or, god forbid, both, that would grease the skids for a presidential run by Trump in 2024, and the possibility he could return to the White House, and promptly destroy the country on an Oval Office revenge tour. And that's not hyperbole either.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I agree. Biden's insistence on bipartisanship is particularly baffling, given how he spent eight years watching Barack Obama hold out his hand in friendship to Republicans, only to have it bitten time after time after time by those rabid dogs. Democrats CANNOT afford to place nice with the GQP who have zero intention on cooperating, or governing for that matter. Dems don't have the time to ride the high road either, midterms are next year, and if they were to lose either the House or Senate, or, god forbid, both, that would grease the skids for a presidential run by Trump in 2024, and the possibility he could return to the White House, and promptly destroy the country. And that's not hyperbole either.
    I kind of get it. If Biden an d the Democrats went this all alone, on their own, they would be accused of being Autocratic. Voters would say that they were no better than Trump Republicans. Making it as bipartisan as possible is their way of affirming democracy and supporting the Two (or more) Party System.

That is why you hear people say that, while the Republican Party might crash and burn, we need a healthy second Political Party. It's like trying to save the patient bu cutting out the diseased parts and saving the rest of the patient, if possible.

Who knows if it will work or if it is worth it or if it will just leave the Democrats exposed to whatever illness (Trump Flu) has taken hold of the Republicans.

I agree with both you Tami and WPP. I voted for Biden and I support him. But I am let down on some things with the stance he takes and trying way to hard to work with the GOP when it has been clear for the better part of a decade they have no interest in it. And The GOP is playing that. They put their foot down And Mitch says well we will talk and see what he has to say and find middle ground when they have no intention of doing that. They are blocking with the intent of making Biden look bad and Biden is buying into it. he needs to put his foot down and say look work with us or we will run you over. he needs to call them out publicly on their crap and not just him all of the Dems do. There are some that do but they are worried about bad press and looking like the heavies when that is what they need to do. Bad press to the Trump cult doesnt matter anyway because they will never be on his side.

End of rant.

I kind of get it. If Biden an d the Democrats went this all alone, on their own, they would be accused of being Autocratic. Voters would say that they were no better than Trump Republicans. Making it as bipartisan as possible is their way of affirming democracy and supporting the Two (or more) Party System.

That is why you hear people say that, while the Republican Party might crash and burn, we need a healthy second Political Party. It's like trying to save the patient bu cutting out the diseased parts and saving the rest of the patient, if possible.

Who knows if it will work or if it is worth it or if it will just leave the Democrats exposed to whatever illness (Trump Flu) has taken hold of the Republicans.
    I actually wondered if the timing might not be right for doing the Voting Rights Act just yet... but it needs to be before 2022.

Because here's the thing... the minute it passes, through whatever magic Democrats have to pull off that miracle in the House and Senate (particularly the Senate, what with it meaning Synema & Manchin would have to STFU about the filibuster).... the minute it passes, Republicans are going to bitterly file a legal challenge. They're going to try to get injunctions passed to keep their voter suppression laws in place. Provided judges don't rule to put an injunction on a new VRA...

My point is, the last thing you want to do is pass it too soon, and give it time to get kicked up to the Supreme Court, where Roberts won't seem so "moderate", and Kegs Kavanaugh, Coney Island Hot Dawg, & Gorsuch Mommy Nepotism are all waiting to team of with Alito, and Thomas to shoot the whole thing down again. None of them support voting rights in ways that I think even one of them would flip, let alone two.

So if you slow walk it, and it drops in time for 2022 elections say... around May of 2022 or so, I think it will miss its window to get challenged in lower courts before it might reach all the way up to the folks waiting with the axe. But if they do it right now, it's going to be on the docket for next June to get torn apart or overturned completely and in November when they truly need it, it's gone.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

I actually wondered if the timing might not be right for doing the Voting Rights Act just yet... but it needs to be before 2022.

Because here's the thing... the minute it passes, through whatever magic Democrats have to pull off that miracle in the House and Senate (particularly the Senate, what with it meaning Synema & Manchin would have to STFU about the filibuster).... the minute it passes, Republicans are going to bitterly file a legal challenge. They're going to try to get injunctions passed to keep their voter suppression laws in place. Provided judges don't rule to put an injunction on a new VRA...

My point is, the last thing you want to do is pass it too soon, and give it time to get kicked up to the Supreme Court, where Roberts won't seem so "moderate", and Kegs Kavanaugh, Coney Island Hot Dawg, & Gorsuch Mommy Nepotism are all waiting to team of with Alito, and Thomas to shoot the whole thing down again. None of them support voting rights in ways that I think even one of them would flip, let alone two.

So if you slow walk it, and it drops in time for 2022 elections say... around May of 2022 or so, I think it will miss its window to get challenged in lower courts before it might reach all the way up to the folks waiting with the axe. But if they do it right now, it's going to be on the docket for next June to get torn apart or overturned completely and in November when they truly need it, it's gone.
    Everything you said makes perfect sense. That leads me to wonder if Moscow Mitch has an inkling about that strategy to slow walk the VRA for all the reasons you illustrated? Say what you will about McConnell, but one thing he's not is stupid, could he insist on wanting the VRA fast tracked, knowing Biden and Democrats would be eager to see it passed, then have the Supremes kill it? Or, would that move put Mitch at odds with fellow Qpublicans who don't want their precious voter suppression bills attacked? How would those scenarios play out?

There is logic to that, only a whole lot of people are in a panic right now. Marches, protests, the Texas Democrats, things are upside down. Maybe Biden could wait, but I don't think a large number of his voters can.

And if Biden doesn't act quickly, he's seen as implicitly endorsing this Anti-voter laws , even if he isn't.

Restaurant that took anti-mask stance now says it will only serve unvaccinated diners

I wonder what the Restaurant's Insurance Company thinks about this?
    That is an interesting question. If their insurance company drops them because of this, I would expect the restaurant owner to cry out that he's being oppressed by the big bad insurance company.

But I do wonder exactly what he would accept as "proof" that one is not vaccinated. A note from the customer's mother?
    Watching television is not an activity.