Page 19 of 774 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119519 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I personally just don't mind if she becomes the actual representation and not the stereotype. The stereotype leads to dangerous assertions about those with mental illness. It'd have to be depicted right. The problem is that outside of a couple of comics, it's never really been treated well in this genre.
    I mean the part where people assume "she is always this way" and view her every comic story with that assumption and "analyze" her character accordingly.
    I am worried about an actual good depiction would make said people believe the shitty ones are also good because for the most part, they cannot fucking tell, they would assume the adaptions are good because it's based off some great source material when it's not.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    What? Why should we consider that bad. The way a character is meant to be portrayed shouldn't be dictated by their inception, it should and will evolve with the stories that unfold around them. And I don't think a pristine, "boss b*tch" Wanda does any service to her story. This sentiment that suffering and dealing with mental illness and trauma somehow tarnishes her character isn't something that I can get behind. That's not to say these story elements have been given near enough respect as they should (not even close), but ignoring or erasing a very real part of her character to make her "better" or more palatable just wouldn't sit right with me.

Should she be mired down by the mistakes of past writers, solely using her as a plot device and playing into dangerous tropes about mental illness *cough pretender BS*? No. But should she represent the very real and even positive aspects of dealing with mental illness and trauma? Yes. Demonstrate her fortitude and perseverance in acknowledging and coping with her emotional and psychological scars. Even before House of M there were clear elements in her history that show her struggling with, coping with, and overcoming trauma. I understand the frustration that many of her fans have with her status quo for the last decade and a half and I'm tired of waiting for a writer to come around with the balls to give her her due justice, however, I'm hopeful that the reaction to WandaVision will light a fire under some Marvel butts and show people what we already know - Wanda is strong, beautiful, loving, and worthy, scars and all.
    I never said that, my concern is most people cannot tell the difference between an actual good depiction and a stereotypical one. And more often than not they mistake drama for quality, you don't see people even knowing Roy Thomas's A Study in Scarlet or other stories that actually let Wanda deal with these kinds of stuff, no, they cheer for HoM, they cheer for the possibility of a "stereotypical crazy powerful woman". If anything it's the HoM lovers who want a "boss b*tch" Wanda because that version is sooooo powerful....
    My problem is that a lot of people will have their stereotypical impression of Wanda confirmed even if the depiction in the show is an authentic one.
    Annnnd the specific part of her "always meant as a representation" which is simply not true, a character with decades of history evolves and have different iterations, making this kind of claim is just utterly ignorant, and historically revisionist.
    That's why I am saying if they do that, they better fucking throw some shade at the HoM types, just as a clear statement. Because assuming the source material/comic is good is not a rare mentality among some fans.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 01-09-2021 at 10:03 AM.

One more week. Squee!

Extraordinary Member

People who use "woke sjw" are just describing hating progression because they are usually bigots. And there is nothing wrong with subverting the idea of a traditional family. Wanda and Vision weren't traditional. Wanda's spiritual son is not in a traditional marriage either. There's nothing wrong with any of that. Anyone screaming woke sjw can cry more.
    Wait until Wanda got the Captain Marvel treatment from certain "fans" for "overwokeness", god I sound like a gatekeeper but I will be glad to flush them out of the fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Wait until Wanda got the Captain Marvel treatment from certain "fans" for "overwokeness", god I sound like a gatekeeper but I will be glad to flush them out of the fandom.
    Sometimes people just need to get some life and focus on what they like. Women as protagonists exists for a long time and it came to stay. Nothing "woke" on that

So the people who saw the first three episodes of WandaVision are praising it, especially Elizabeth Olsen's acting and chemistry with Paul
    Last edited by Cruelrain; 01-09-2021 at 12:12 PM.

Marvel: Wanda's Theme | MCU PHASE 4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YKPK39Zv0Q

First Reactions to 'WandaVision' Praise Marvel's First Disney+ Series as "Delightfully Trippy" & "Brilliant"
    https://collider.com/wandavision-rev...s-disney-plus/
    Last edited by Witchfan; 01-09-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    ^^^^^Thanks So Much for this Beautiful News Cruelrain, Words can only go SO Far to describe how much JOY this will bring to both Miss Olsen and Wanda Fans all Together! I mean an EMMY NOMINATION level Performance for Wanda’s Character! Make you want to Crying thinking how long in coming yet how much more we are getting then we could have ever hoped for!

I just want to post this video below too to piggyback off your great post that goes into some of those reviewers and others to add to all of this Magnificents!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I mean the part where people assume "she is always this way" and view her every comic story with that assumption and "analyze" her character accordingly.
    I am worried about an actual good depiction would make said people believe the shitty ones are also good because for the most part, they cannot fucking tell, they would assume the adaptions are good because it's based off some great source material when it's not.
    Yep, I worry about that a lot. Because I deal with mental illness. So it's not just a misinterpretation of my favorite character when comics gets it wrong and then everyone glorifies the stereotypes.

But, I'm gonna just hope they tackle grief and mental illness in a tasteful way here. And that it leads to much more for Wanda.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I think there is nothing wrong with subverting the idea of a traditional family either. Especially in a fun, superhero context. But after witnessing the shocking events of the past week, I think there's a HUGE amount of resistance throughout the world towards the progression you speak of. I think Disney is essentially a conservative organization which promotes "family values". I don't believe they want to antagonize more conservative audiences around the world (including in the United States itself) with their movies and shows. I think they should move things in a more liberal direction GRADUALLY. I always say slow change is GOOD change. And I think that's the approach they are adopting. I don't believe that Schaeffer is a "radical feminist" like many online commenters say she is, but I don't mind feminist energy in film and television at all. I just don't get how comic books got so politically toxic in the past twenty years. It wasn't this way when I read them in the 90s.
    Those people that did that are not the people to try to appease, full stop. They should be shunned and/or arrested at every turn when they do something like that.

And I don't think comics are politically toxic. There's a lot of good stories there. Most of the people that complained were doing so about the idea of the stories. That's why so many believe RiRi replaced Iron Man when Doctor Doom was Iron Man then. They read an article and react, not the actual comics.

Despite all their complaints, movies have still sold, stories still go on. And they should.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Yep, I worry about that a lot. Because I deal with mental illness. So it's not just a misinterpretation of my favorite character when comics gets it wrong and then everyone glorifies the stereotypes.

But, I'm gonna just hope they tackle grief and mental illness in a tasteful way here. And that it leads to much more for Wanda.
    I think by how the show is sounding they are going to be dealing with grief and lose in a very respectful way that is way beyond the fouls of comics past. A way to sympathize and connect with Wanda’s grief and she her get stronger from it, that is what this is sounding like.

This also might be the show and ideal we need most now too. After ALL our World has gone three in the past year with the virus and political up evils happening, WandaVision could speak to many more then ever in understanding what grief threw terrible times and it could connect to watchers in such a symbolic way that is Much needed right now.

If done well as it is saying and hoping this could be a show right for our age we are all going threw.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    I think by how the show is sounding they are going to be dealing with grief and lose in a very respectful way that is way beyond the fouls of comics past. A way to sympathize and connect with Wanda’s grief and she her get stronger from it, that is what this is sounding like.

This also might be the show and ideal we need most now too. After ALL our World has gone three in the past year with the virus and political up evils happening, WandaVision could speak to many more then ever in understanding what grief threw terrible times and it could connect to watchers in such a symbolic way that is Much needed right now.

If done well as it is saying and hoping this could be a show right for our age we are all going threw.
    This is a good take, so many people suffering grief right now. A heartwarming tv show can really connect to people and help they proccess grief

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    So the people who saw the first three episodes of WandaVision are praising it, especially Elizabeth Olsen's acting and chemistry with Paul
    Whoa, could never tell they had chemistry by only watching the movie. Good the tv show to show it
    Last edited by Rang10; 01-09-2021 at 05:21 PM.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Those people that did that are not the people to try to appease, full stop. They should be shunned and/or arrested at every turn when they do something like that.

And I don't think comics are politically toxic. There's a lot of good stories there. Most of the people that complained were doing so about the idea of the stories. That's why so many believe RiRi replaced Iron Man when Doctor Doom was Iron Man then. They read an article and react, not the actual comics.

Despite all their complaints, movies have still sold, stories still go on. And they should.
    Agreed. At no points should these toxic types ever be humored. It’s done more damage than good to do so.