Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Grace Choi in the Asian Superhero Special

DC Festival of Heroes Introduces Monkey Prince!
    “Family Dinner” – Amazon juggernaut Grace Choi has to meet her girlfriend Anissa Pierce’s dad for dinner. But when your girlfriend is Thunder, that means meeting the parents is that much more stressful because her father is Black Lightning!

...How have I been reading comics for 13 years and I've never heard of this character...

Time to go checkout the Outsiders series!!!

Hopefully it leads to her getting the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    ...How have I been reading comics for 13 years . . .
    How much / what series were you reading prior to Flushpoint / New 52?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    How much / what series were you reading prior to Flushpoint / New 52?
    Mostly The New Teen Titans and Wonder Woman (Golden age and Post-Crisis mostly) Edit: Also Supergirl (1996)

I'm very big on re-reading so I usually just pick a story arc and read it to death, my comic progression is slowwww. (I'll say though, my early years of comics was very X-Men heavy. Uncanny X-Men, New Mutants, Generation X. I read those a lot, and not much else )
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 04-05-2021 at 12:57 PM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Grace first appeared in the 2003 Outsiders series led by Nightwing. She maintained a prominent role in the various Outsiders series until the Flashpoint reboot.
    There was even a series of oneshots under the banner of Five of a Kind in which an Outsider teamed up with a more prominent hero. Grace co-starred with Wonder Woman. Screenshot_20210405-160125_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210405-160322_Google.jpgScreenshot_20210405-160830_Chrome.jpg

I've missed Grace Choi in comics. And this is one perfect premise. I hope she stays around. Is it too much to ask for a follow up on this in the Pride Anthology?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    I've missed Grace Choi in comics. And this is one perfect premise. I hope she stays around. Is it too much to ask for a follow up on this in the Pride Anthology?
    They already announced the contents of the Pride anthology, Grace isn't in it:

• Batwoman (Kate Kane) by James Tynion IV & Trung Le Nguyen
    • Poison Ivy & Harley Quinn by Mariko Tamaki & Amy Reeder
    • Midnighter by Steve Orlando & Stephen Byrne
    • Flash of Earth-11 (Jess Chambers) by Danny Lore & Lisa Sterle
    • Green Lantern (Alan Scott) & Obsidian by Sam Johns & Klaus Janson
    • Aqualad (Jackson Hyde) by Andrew Wheeler & Luciano Vecchio
    • Dreamer by Nicole Maines & Rachael Stott
    • Renee Montoya by Vita Ayala and Skylar Patridge
    • Pied Piper by Sina Grace, Ro Stein & Ted Brandt

I'm happy she's described as an "Amazon juggernaut" and not a random shapeshifter like in the Black Lightning tv series. I'm also happy to see her in comics after so many years but this feels a little cheap to me. She goes unused for so long until it's time to trot her out for an all Asian superhero special. I don't like it.

Ah Grace is an odd one. When she was created she was simply a metahuman with a healing factor and superstrength until years later in Amazons Attack shes retconned to have unknowingly been an Amazon all along. Specifically an orphan of the Bana-Mighdall who just wound up out in the world somehow.

Its not very often that a character gets Wonder Woman elements rolled into their background years after their creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Ah Grace is an odd one. When she was created she was simply a metahuman with a healing factor and superstrength until years later in Amazons Attack shes retconned to have unknowingly been an Amazon all along. Specifically an orphan of the Bana-Mighdall who just wound up out in the world somehow.

Its not very often that a character gets Wonder Woman elements rolled into their background years after their creation.
    You sure that was the case with Grace? I haven't seen Judd Winick say anything about his plans for the character. She was a powerhouse of intentionally mysterious origin in the early days and then the layers of her background emerged. I hated the Americas Most Wanted crossover that gave her the background of "abused child who grew strong during her suffering (literally), but I guess that story itself painted her as a meta...or was it just her Amazon physiognomy kicking in since she was a hybrid? Or both.

If nothing else, this thread reinforces that we need a FORGOTTEN SISTER: GRACE CHOI appreciation thread.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

I like Grace but I never really cared for her being an Amazon and its clear DC never intended for her to be initially.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    You sure that was the case with Grace? I haven't seen Judd Winick say anything about his plans for the character. She was a powerhouse of intentionally mysterious origin in the early days and then the layers of her background emerged. I hated the Americas Most Wanted crossover that gave her the background of "abused child who grew strong during her suffering (literally), but I guess that story itself painted her as a meta...or was it just her Amazon physiognomy kicking in since she was a hybrid? Or both.

If nothing else, this thread reinforces that we need a FORGOTTEN SISTER: GRACE CHOI appreciation thread.
    The thing is as a Bana-Mighdall Amazon she shouldn't have the powers she does. They're not even equal to the Themyscirans, they're not immortal and are basically regular women with heavily diluted Amazon heritage. You could explain it away with her being a genetic throwback or something, who inherited meta power levels, but she really shouldn't be any stronger than Artemis.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    The thing is as a Bana-Mighdall Amazon she shouldn't have the powers she does. They're not even equal to the Themyscirans, they're not immortal and are basically regular women with heavily diluted Amazon heritage. You could explain it away with her being a genetic throwback or something, who inherited meta power levels, but she really shouldn't be any stronger than Artemis.
    She could have gotten the powers from whoever her father was.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    She could have gotten the powers from whoever her father was.
    And her father was......?