Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I personally find it odd that modern Marvel seems to want to completely bury Atlantis... metaphorically.
    I find it hard to believe that modern Marvel decided that it wanted to be DC circa the 1970s
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah I didn't hate the character design at all.... it's just not Namor. Having him as some other Atlantean who knows Namor could work.
    That ship done sailed.

The movie should have had Namor’s head be perfectly triangular for the sake of accuracy.

What bothered me, and I know this is a very niche criticism; but I wish they had based their Atlantis on a civilization from the tropics rather than transplanting a mostly land based agricultural civilization and their myths under water. Cultures that are built around sea faring and fishing tend to have their own folk tales and practices that could have lent well to a new interpretation of Atlantis. A lot of them also have their own versions of ocean deities.

It kind of bugs they hired actors who didn't even know how to swim and then had them go through all the training for it.

Say what you will about the DCEU, but Mamoa with his Polyensian background was perfect casting for Aquaman.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    What bothered me, and I know this is a very niche criticism; but I wish they had based their Atlantis on a civilization from the tropics rather than transplanting a mostly land based agricultural civilization and their myths under water. Cultures that are built around sea faring and fishing tend to have their own folk tales and practices that could have lent well to a new interpretation of Atlantis. A lot of them also have their own versions of ocean deities.

It kind of bugs they hired actors who didn't even know how to swim and then had them go through all the training for it.

Say what you will about the DCEU, but Mamoa with his Polyensian background was perfect casting for Aquaman.
    I fear Gunn will go back to white blonde guy for his Aquaman.

I think it's because they wanted a civilization associated with the Atlantic ocean... and NOT from Africa. Which... means Brazilian tribes are the go to. But.... the public knows Mayan stuff better.

Yeah, Momoa's Aquaman wasn't perfectly comics-accurate, but wasn't actually drastically different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    I fear Gunn will go back to white blonde guy for his Aquaman.
    I welcome it. If it's not gonna be Momoa it has no reason to use Polynesian themes.

Amazing Member

Correct ne if I am wrong but wasn't Atlantis based on Greek myth?

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Correct ne if I am wrong but wasn't Atlantis based on Greek myth?
    Sort of... a story told by Greeks as if it was historical.... and a lot of people think it WAS historical... just... hard to figure out since the oldest accounts we have are from people who lived LONG after Atlantis was gone. BUT, it was a civilization that the Greeks KNEW about, not necessarily a Greek civilization. Best theory I've seen so far is that it was near the southern end of the Atlas Mountains. And no... the name similarity is apparently NOT a coincidence.

Amen to that, Momoa will always be Aquaman, while Namor can be recast and not raise too much concern, IMHO.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    Amen to that, Momoa will always be Aquaman, while Namor can be recast and not raise too much concern, IMHO.
    He was the third live-action Arthur I'd seen, but he did really own the role!

(Alan Richson in Smallville and Justin Hartley in the unreleased pilot Mercy Reef, which I managed to find online, were the other two.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    He was the third live-action Arthur I'd seen, but he did really own the role!

(Alan Richson in Smallville and Justin Hartley in the unreleased pilot Mercy Reef, which I managed to find online, were the other two.)
    Yep, you're right on both of those. I really liked Ritchson in Smallville as Arthur, but I like him so much better as Hawk, and Reacher, and the Thad. LOL...