Page 377 of 422 FirstFirst ... 277327367373374375376377378379380381387 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,655 of 6318

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    I find it amusing that an assumedly Cis Het White male like me (I'm a ginger, and thus a victim of cultural appropriation by every red dyed head /s) is calling it racist to point out how Cis Het White males often distract themselves from how bad some people who don't look like them get it with luxuries & privileges not available to those different people. I'm not sure if it's ironic to be using some of those luxuries & distracting privileges (Internet Access, Access to Expensive Phones/Computers, Free Time not spent working a second job) to do so or not, but it is funny. I know I have moments when I'm too lazy to look up something I know I should learn more about because I'm too focused on my day-to-day life (Complacency, Narcisism, Willful Ignorance) and I'm fairly sure every adult human has them too. However with the examples in my life with family, friends, and what I've seen on the news since I was in High School those traits seem to be encouraged instead of punished in the Cis Het White male community, particularly by conservatives.

As this was clearly meant as a condemnation of the US populace instead of the UK one, can you look at the conservative members of the US House of Representatives, the US Senate, and Donald Trump and tell me that impression is a wrong one? (See Affluenza)Now what those people do in their ignorance, narcissism & hate are subsidized by those who vote for them, which as records show are predominately Cis, Het, Male, & White. The GoP is the source of the most vile and bigoted legislation on our books, and are systematically destroying rights that Women, Blacks, Latinos, and the LGBT have gotten in the last 100 years in the name of making America Great. I believe that is highly racist, bigoted, and I think that trying to gotcha someone with this sort of hot take is not well thought out based on all of it.
    You can’t fight racism/discrimination with racism/discrimination, us vs. them. Democrats know better than that.

It’s racist and undemocratic to suggest that some people should be allowed to vote while others should not
    Last edited by hyped78; 05-08-2024 at 02:51 PM.

I find it amusing that an assumedly Cis Het White male like me (I'm a ginger, and thus a victim of cultural appropriation by every red dyed head /s) is calling it racist to point out how Cis Het White males often distract themselves from how bad some people who don't look like them get it with luxuries & privileges not available to those different people. I'm not sure if it's ironic to be using some of those luxuries & distracting privileges (Internet Access, Access to Expensive Phones/Computers, Free Time not spent working a second job) to do so or not, but it is funny. I know I have moments when I'm too lazy to look up something I know I should learn more about because I'm too focused on my day-to-day life (Complacency, Narcisism, Willful Ignorance) and I'm fairly sure every adult human has them too. However with the examples in my life with family, friends, and what I've seen on the news since I was in High School those traits seem to be encouraged instead of punished in the Cis Het White male community, particularly by conservatives.

As this was clearly meant as a condemnation of the US populace instead of the UK one, can you look at the conservative members of the US House of Representatives, the US Senate, and Donald Trump and tell me that impression is a wrong one? (See Affluenza)Now what those people do in their ignorance, narcissism & hate are subsidized by those who vote for them, which as records show are predominately Cis, Het, Male, & White. The GoP is the source of the most vile and bigoted legislation on our books, and are systematically destroying rights that Women, Blacks, Latinos, and the LGBT have gotten in the last 100 years in the name of making America Great. I believe that is highly racist, bigoted, and I think that trying to gotcha someone with this sort of hot take is not well thought out based on all of it.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Sarcasm? Here’s sarcasm:

By your own logic, and as you self-identify as a white male cis heterosexual, you are more likely to fail a basic civics test than the average citizen
    Yes. As a cis, white male in the US? I unfortunately DO fall into a group more likely to fail a civics test due to the statistically proven self-involvement of cis, white men, despite access to literally every opportunity and the massive privileges afforded them by the culture around us. I fall into a group that, statistically vote in ways that show that they don’t care about problems that don’t affect cis, white males. That regularly calls for civics tests for voting rights for minorities. (PSSSSST!!? THIS is where the sarcasm of my initial post comes in, since you missed it!!!))

That individual cis, white males see the problem and call out our own doesn’t make us ‘racist’ against the terribly oppressed cis white male.

That not all cis, white men allow themselves to be as easily distracted by shiny guns, giant trucks, or a God that hates the same people we do, however, doesn’t change the reality that in the US, cis, white men regularly vote to suppress people who are not cis, white, or male while at the same time not using their privilege to educate themselves or actually participate in any helpful way. Which is why they would more than likely fail the very tests they call for, while oppressed groups would likely take those tests more seriously and pass, due to generations of dealing with cis, white male shenanigans .

Is that clear enough for you? Do you understand the sarcasm, yet? Do I have to dumb it down further?

Also? I don’t identify as heterosexual. And haven’t for almost 30 years. I identify as a white, cis male, yes. A gay one. Thanks.
    Last edited by zinderel; 05-08-2024 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Thank you.
    It seems some people just want to start a fight and call someone else racist for what clearly wasn't a serious suggestion.

It seems some people just want to start a fight and call someone else racist for what clearly wasn't a serious suggestion.
    I swear, some people must think Jonathan Swift seriously suggested that the Irish poor simply eat their babies if they’re so hungry…

So it was a joke suggestion? So what's the point?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Madam Howler Monkey tried to boot Mikey today….and failed:

https://www.npr.org/2024/05/08/12494...-johnson-fails
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Agreed. For some people, the price of gas a week before Election Day will decide who they vote for. Not decades of evidence about the men they’re picking between.

I mean, I KNOW it’s a racist dog whistle to suggest that people should have to pass a basic civics test in order to vote? But I am quite confident that more cishet white people - who have the luxury of willful ignorance, and distractions like complacency and narcissism - would be excluded from voting than minorities (who do NOT have the same luxuries or privilege), if we actually implemented such a thing…
    1. Your confidence that cis white people will be less able to pass a basic civics test may be misguided. White people are more likely than average to have college educations. White people are more likely than average to be older.

I am curious if anyone's familiar with a survey suggesting members of minority groups are more or less informed about civics.

2. The ability to make passing a Civics test mandatory for voting can be abused. Legislators will come up with the standards, and they can use in ways that increase their support, in addition to making sure that their people are the ones making with their thumb on the scale if there's any question.

There's a notorious example of a literacy test asking people to spell backwards, forwards.

https://www.openculture.com/2014/07/...lack-vote.html

If it's someone friendly, any answer is accepted.

If it's someone on the other side, they'll use pretext to exclude any answer, by saying they were meant to spell the word backwards, spell the word forward backwards or spell the words backwards and forwards.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    1. Your confidence that cis white people will be less able to pass a basic civics test may be misguided. White people are more likely than average to have college educations. White people are more likely than average to be older.

I am curious if anyone's familiar with a survey suggesting members of minority groups are more or less informed about civics.

2. The ability to make passing a Civics test mandatory for voting can be abused. Legislators will come up with the standards, and they can use in ways that increase their support, in addition to making sure that their people are the ones making with their thumb on the scale if there's any question.

There's a notorious example of a literacy test asking people to spell backwards, forwards.

If it's someone on the other side, they'll use pretext to exclude any answer, by saying they were meant to spell the word backwards, spell the word forward backwards or spell the words backwards and forwards.
    I was actually going to say that if someone suggested that, for example, only college educated people should vote that would be racist/discriminatory (which it is). As what our friend suggested is also obviously discriminatory.

I mean, it was just a sad sad post by our friend, but apparently it's all sarcasm so it doesn't even count/matter
    Last edited by hyped78; 05-08-2024 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Madam Howler Monkey tried to boot Mikey today….and failed:

https://www.npr.org/2024/05/08/12494...-johnson-fails
    Let them fight, it's great!!! Dysfunctional House GOP is "awesome"

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Hey, Mets? How about until you actually address anything anyone has asked you directly about your continued support for, and deliberate blind spot about, your party’s embrace of racism, misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, anti-vaccine, anti-science, treasonous rhetoric and literal white power symbols, you keep my name out of your mouth, huh? I’m perfectly happy ignoring your posts. How about you do the same? I’m really just…SO tired of you playing your stupid little games with me.

Hey, Mets? How about until you actually address anything anyone has asked you directly about your continued support for, and deliberate blind spot about, your party’s embrace of racism, misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, anti-vaccine, anti-science, treasonous rhetoric and literal white power symbols, you keep my name out of your mouth, huh? I’m perfectly happy ignoring your posts. How about you do the same? I’m really just…SO tired of you playing your stupid little games with me.
    "you keep my name out of your mouth, huh? I’m perfectly happy ignoring your posts. How about you do the same?"

That's not the way a forum works, buddy

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    R.F.K. Jr. Says Doctors Found a Dead Worm in His Brain

You know....if part of your brain has been eaten by worms...why are you on anyone's ballot for President. That is all I will say
    He wasn't exactly eager to share the information, although I'm give him credit for acknowledging it when the Times found out about it.

And it wasn't the only medical issue that caused some brain damage. The article also mentions mercury poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I could easily understand this “too old” stuff IF the alternative was an healthy person in their 30s/40’s. But compared to the Donald??
    Biden seems older. Trump seems crazy, but that doesn't read as old. It's possible that there's room to convince people that Trump is suffering from age-related cognitive decline, although that may not be a discussion the Biden campaign wants.

Voters are looking for different things from them.

The comments about Biden's age allow for the argument that others are making the big decisions, so that even if a voter likes Biden as a moderate-ish Democrat, others who are to his left are really running the country.

Many Trump supporters like him enough that they'll consider his age to be worth the tradeoffs. Because if he didn't run, it would be a typical Republican anyway and that's what you'd get if he had to resign for his veep (assuming it's someone like Stefanik, Britt, Huckabee Sanders, Tim Scott, Rubio or Burgum.)

For Republicans who will vote for Trump because he's the party's nominee, they like the idea that some establishment Republicans will be running things behind the scenes.

There could be a potential argument that if Trump is declining, it's an opportunity for grifters who wouldn't be allowed near a presidential administration.

Are you calling for the surrender of Hamas as THE condition to end all of this and have a permanent ceasefire?

(I agree with what you wrote on your post, btw)
    There's some pushback against the question, but there is a reality that Hamas is not getting the message that everyone in the civilized world sees them as a force for evil on par with the Nazis (in terms of what they want to do, and what they're doing when they can.) Too many of Israel's critics are playing footsie with vile antisemites and terrorists, and there should be the same criticism against that as there would be against conservatives who aren't as eager to bash white nationalists.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

"you keep my name out of your mouth, huh? I’m perfectly happy ignoring your posts. How about you do the same?"

That's not the way a forum works, buddy
    When all the interactions are negative, asking a poster to stop playing the games that multiple people have called him out for playing is called ‘setting boundaries’. I established my desire for boundaries. I have only responded to his posts directed at me. And am asking him to stop directing posts at me.

That you don’t understand that any better than you understand sarcasm?

Not a shock.

I do think it's best to talk about the topic and not the other guy.

If you want me to address a point, ask me a question politely in a non-loaded way. If you can't do that, it seems dishonest to criticize me for not answering questions.

I have noticed that people here don't seem to like the discussions about me. I try to go with less responses to the personal comments, but I don't think anyone is suggesting that the policy of the forum should be that we get to insult one another, and they don't get to respond.

If you make a point about a policy in a public forum, sometimes I'll respond to it.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets